COW 2.0 battle calculator

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• COW 2.0 battle calculator

I still have a lot to work on, but I wanted to go ahead and publish this to help motivate me to focus better. The basic mechanics should be implemented. In particular, the multi-stack targeting, defense, and damage distributions are implemented as described in the wiki and expounded upon further by freezy. The special defense against planes is not yet implemented, so planes will currently do better in the calculator than in the game. Fixing this is my top priority so planes should be working properly soon. There are likely bugs and general issues so let me know if you find any. The url is the same as before: dxcalc.com/cow
    • DxC wrote:

I still have a lot to work on, but I wanted to go ahead and publish this to help motivate me to focus better. The basic mechanics should be implemented. In particular, the multi-stack targeting, defense, and damage distributions are implemented as described in the wiki and expounded upon further by freezy. The special defense against planes is not yet implemented, so planes will currently do better in the calculator than in the game. Fixing this is my top priority so planes should be working properly soon. There are likely bugs and general issues so let me know if you find any. The url is the same as before: dxcalc.com/cow
      wow cool
      知己知彼,百战不殆
      :00010164: :00008172: :00002178: :00002047: :00000156: :00010180: :00010317:
    • It would be nice, when you selected a unit type, level, and number, it would look up the HP for that at 100% strength. Feels kind of superfluous to have to look it up and enter it yourself.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

It would be nice, when you selected a unit type, level, and number, it would look up the HP for that at 100% strength. Feels kind of superfluous to have to look it up and enter it yourself.
      What I'm going to do instead is allow using a percentage. So if a number is followed by % it will be interpreted as a percentage. The main reason for doing that is that the game doesn't currently tell you the HP of a particular unit in a multi-unit stack. It just gives you a rough percentage of the HP on the HP indicator bars. It will be easier for users to just enter an estimate of the percentage than having to calculate the HP from the percentage.
    • What I'm also missing is the possibility to enter who is attacking. As I understand, side A is the attacker and side B is the defendere; but there's many non-dot battles, where side B is (forced to) attack back as well. Maybe implement the option to fight battles like that as well?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

What I'm also missing is the possibility to enter who is attacking. As I understand, side A is the attacker and side B is the defendere; but there's many non-dot battles, where side B is (forced to) attack back as well. Maybe implement the option to fight battles like that as well?
      Not 100% sure what you mean, but the target pulldown gives each stack on both sides the option to attack any other stack on the opposite side.
    • Ah right! And when you select "Target" it is defending, right?
      - BIG DADDY.
    • DxC wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

What I'm also missing is the possibility to enter who is attacking. As I understand, side A is the attacker and side B is the defendere; but there's many non-dot battles, where side B is (forced to) attack back as well. Maybe implement the option to fight battles like that as well?
      Not 100% sure what you mean, but the target pulldown gives each stack on both sides the option to attack any other stack on the opposite side.
      I know what he means, sometimes both sides are forced to attack, and even sometimes, both defend.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Ah right! And when you select "Target" it is defending, right?

If it says "Target". which is just a header for selecting targets. it means it isn't specifically attacking. Stacks being attacked will defend an attack if they can regardless of if it is attacking or not. Here is more info from the help page: dxcalc.com/share/cow.info.html

Attack targets
      If you want a stack to attack an enemy stack, select the stack you want to attack from the drop-down. If you only want a stack to defend, then do not select an attack target. If a stack is being targeted it will be in defense mode, but it can simultaneously be attacking the same or a different stack. A stack doesn't have to be attacking anything. It can just be defending. But if a ranged stack doesn't have a target and is not itself a target the calc will automatically try to find a valid target for it. In general, it is best to specify targets, since, in-game, automatic attacking depends on what is moving and possibly who declared war. A stack can be attacked by multiple other stacks. It is important to set these targeting options correctly. If a stack destroys its target it will look for another stack that is in range to attack.
    • Well you know reading is a very hard thing to do, right? I'm sorry man, and thanks!
      - BIG DADDY.
    • DxC wrote:

The special defense against planes is not yet implemented, so planes will currently do better in the calculator than in the game. Fixing this is my top priority so planes should be working properly soon.
      Defense against planes should be working now. When planes attack they lose HP from the defenders before their damage efficiency is calculated. For example, it is possible to shoot down planes before they can attack. This can be demonstrated by attacking a bunch of anti air with a plane. If the anti air defensive damage is more than the HP of the plane, the plane can't attack and the anti air will lose zero HP.
    • Ok I have twiddled a bit with the calculator, and it allows me to really estimate a reasonable number of units to put in my border forts based on what see from spy or reconaissance data.

Great work, the manual is there so if some "syntax" is unclear you can find it there.

Found out is really important for correct calculation to ensure your artillery is at distance from the defending/attacking parties, it does not matter seemingly whether it is set at defend or attack the enemy stack, as long as it is at distance.

It almost feels like a cheat, I could put in minimal forces, amongst which some militia of course because they look weak, to lure them into battle and then bring in the artillery when they gathered their courage to attack ^^

The post was edited 2 times, last by Gen. Smit ().

• Gen. Smit wrote:

Found out is really important for correct calculation to ensure your artillery is at distance from the defending/attacking parties, it does not matter seemingly whether it is set at defend or attack the enemy stack, as long as it is at distance.
      Yeah, if ranged units are at the same position as melee enemy the defenders will hit back just like ingame. Yes, ranged units will auto attack if something is in range, but melee units shouldn't.