Transport research and boarding speed

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Transport research and boarding speed

Small feature request to make transport research more interesting and impactful.
      Please cut the time it takes units to embark/disembark for higher transport levels.

Also please consider the embark/disembark time for provinces that change possession.
      Meaning, if a unit takes 3 hours to board, and the province changes hands, the boarding time should increase.
      Similarly in the other direction, if the disembarking player gains control of the province.
      Right now, the timer only considers ownership at the time the operation starts.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Small feature request to make transport research more interesting and impactful.
      Please cut the time it takes units to embark/disembark for higher transport levels.

Also please consider the embark/disembark time for provinces that change possession.
      Meaning, if a unit takes 3 hours to board, and the province changes hands, the boarding time should increase.
      Similarly in the other direction, if the disembarking player gains control of the province.
      Right now, the timer only considers ownership at the time the operation starts.
      Which is how it should stay, enemy units aren't gonna teleport to the site of the embark/disembark, and if your gonna suggest higher level units take less time, then its gonna end up being more time, bigger and better tanks would take MORE not less time to embark/disembark.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • I'm specifically talking about higher level transports:

z00mz00m wrote:

There should be more of a difference to transport capabilities as they advance.
      This is a way to represent bigger transports, better ramps, cranes, floating docks, and other transport technology.
    • Well if you don't want the net (dis-)embarking time to drop, this means it should be increased at lower transport levels. Actually I think 4.5 hours is bad enough as it is...
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Heh, gotta get your roots into the game, eh?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Yeah, I'm not unbiased.

I admit, they would probably only be used by noobs for actual combat in amphibious landings. Most island hoping is done by simply bombarding any defenders with warships and using otherwise useless units to take the province after.

I'd like to think they would be an interesting addition, but I could be wrong.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Well if you don't want the net (dis-)embarking time to drop, this means it should be increased at lower transport levels. Actually I think 4.5 hours is bad enough as it is...
      Yeah this can be devastating, you also cant see the disembarkment, which is utter BS because citizens will say something if an enemy is invading.

Ports do help (friendly) embarkment/disembarkment and that is ok, the rest of us people wants to sleep at night after a quick patrol of the coast.
    • Gen. Smit wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

Well if you don't want the net (dis-)embarking time to drop, this means it should be increased at lower transport levels. Actually I think 4.5 hours is bad enough as it is...
      Yeah this can be devastating, you also cant see the disembarkment, which is utter BS because citizens will say something if an enemy is invading.
      Ports do help (friendly) embarkment/disembarkment and that is ok, the rest of us people wants to sleep at night after a quick patrol of the coast.
      Unless your the Russians, no one dare speak up against them with the attrocities they do.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • You were either disembarking in an enemy province (that's the 4.5 hours) in which case the port doesn't work, OR you gave the order when it wasn't. Even after a long march/sail, the 4.5h doesn't change to 3h (or even less with a port) if you conquer the prov in between. Just re-draw the move to prevent this.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

You were either disembarking in an enemy province (that's the 4.5 hours) in which case the port doesn't work, OR you gave the order when it wasn't. Even after a long march/sail, the 4.5h doesn't change to 3h (or even less with a port) if you conquer the prov in between. Just re-draw the move to prevent this.
      yeah I am not sure about this, but change of province proprietor does not (seem to) change moving time until a "new command" is issued. I thus always issue new orders in case of advantage (and thus know the time of arrival according new conditions).
    • You can also abuse it of course, and specifically NOT issue new orders to a unit when you know it uses a beneficial time.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I think the whole boarding process needs only a few tweaks. Marines kinda already exist as lv2 commandos, and I think it's fair to decrease their boarding time.

Carrying over to a different thread naval landings and island hopping needs a total rework, right now the current strategy is a couple of battleships or even a crusier and you decimate an entire coastline and wipe out islands if you're sweaty on micro. I propose that naval to land bombardment needs a serious nerf (reduction in range or damage reduction) or a serious counter, as in a designated coastal defense that could be a seperate build or integrated into fortifications that targets particularly large slow ships eg battleships but would have a harder time hitting smaller nimbler vessels eg destroyers and transport ships (meaning these vessels would take far less damage) making the need for current in game ordnance on the coast still relevant.
    • That touches on a separate but related problem. Taking small island nations is OP. This gives a huge advantage to countries in the SW portion of the Pacific ocean. It's a steady supply of easy resources and morale boosts for days. I can't think of a good reason for this. Most islands shouldn't have a city and shouldn't be worth any points, much less have a capital on them.

Once you take away the OP easy money aspect of island hopping, it becomes a non issue. They won't be worth taking. No point in making them harder to take.

When it comes to real cities like London or Tokyo, those should be defended by a navy, an air force, or by land based artillery. The city owner has many options at his disposal. If he chooses not to defend his coast, well then that is his choice to make. No reason to change game mechanics to accommodate carelessness.
    • I'm referring to HWW not the pacific maps, in these game modes islands are mainly non cities, but that's besides the point I am referring to game mechanics not exclusive to islands, eg coast of france. And the city defender doesn't have much at his disposal when he can get out classed by a simple 5 crusier and battleship stack that's impervious to arial bombardment assuming their navy is destroyed. Once they have no navy it's pretty much gg as literally all arty is outclassed by navy, (railroad guns do limited damage + require a huge investment), players should be encouraged to find landings and weak points when taking on the coast not just lazily disembark troops wherever once you've patrolled the coast for 2hrs.