Light Tank Spam- And The Strategy Behind it.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jubjub bird wrote:

I won plenty of games with light tanks when I was a noob (both in 1.0 where they were actually good and in 1.5/2.0). I don't despise it. I'm just telling you and others that there are better strategies.
      Then there is no reason to argue, we have opinions in what we like and we should keep them, lets end the argument here.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • 6thDragon wrote:

Getting units to merge with a stack that is already in combat is not an exact science.
      This is one of the things that really turns me off about CoW. This stupid unpredictable behavior when reinforcing stacks in battle. They need to fix this.

@Kolonnos I think you are asking what exactly happens if the reinforcing units attack, which they sometimes do, even though you usually don't want them to because you want them to merge with the stack that is already there. In any case, when they do attack:

1. They stay in their own stack and they will be on their own separate attack cycle from your other stack if it was also attacking. (In some cases it may be possible to merge these stacks after this bad game mechanic occurs.)

2. Just like any other attack round, only the attacker will receive defensive damage on it's attack tics.
    • Brando Dilla wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

Never said comparing wins, i am talking about wins with LTS, which you very well know, and you have none of, because you despise it too much to play it, which is why everything you say has no merit, because you simply do not know.
      Just gave you your 1,000th like! :00008698:
      Keep up the good work :)
      Thanks :thumbup: I try not to be too much of a, ahem, you know what, but sometimes the context,or the the lack thereof, kinda gets me into a mood.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • I usually play as any doctrine except Comintern, and I find that Allies and Axis doctrines are best for mass LT production.
      Allies gives you earlier and faster researches, as well as production bonuses. Axis gives you stronger units in general, and you have LT access on Day 1. Pan-Asian is definitely more suited for Mot. Inf and ACs than LTs.
      “A battle fought without determination is a battle lost.” - Josip Broz Tito
    • DxC wrote:

6thDragon wrote:

Getting units to merge with a stack that is already in combat is not an exact science.
      This is one of the things that really turns me off about CoW. This stupid unpredictable behavior when reinforcing stacks in battle. They need to fix this.
      Yea this topic is probably worth its own thread. I have some theories about what circumstances lead to undesired attacking by reinforcements but haven't tested them.
    • Brando Dilla wrote:

I usually play as any doctrine except Comintern, and I find that Allies and Axis doctrines are best for mass LT production.Allies gives you earlier and faster researches, as well as production bonuses. Axis gives you stronger units in general, and you have LT access on Day 1. Pan-Asian is definitely more suited for Mot. Inf and ACs than LTs.
      Ugh I was going to stop, but once again you're just literally incorrect. Allies and Axis both give you LATER light tank research (by 4 days compared to Pan Asian!). Every doctrine has LT access on Day 1. Pan Asian LTs have massive buffs that make them arguably the best light tank in the game.

Are we even talking about the same game here? I'm on the Call of War forum, right?
    • jubjub bird wrote:

Brando Dilla wrote:

I usually play as any doctrine except Comintern, and I find that Allies and Axis doctrines are best for mass LT production.Allies gives you earlier and faster researches, as well as production bonuses. Axis gives you stronger units in general, and you have LT access on Day 1. Pan-Asian is definitely more suited for Mot. Inf and ACs than LTs.
      Ugh I was going to stop, but once again you're just literally incorrect. Allies and Axis both give you LATER light tank research (by 4 days compared to Pan Asian!). Every doctrine has LT access on Day 1. Pan Asian LTs have massive buffs that make them arguably the best light tank in the game.
      Are we even talking about the same game here? I'm on the Call of War forum, right?
      No, this is the Allies United Forum for the hit game Ground Troopers.

(Get the reference?)

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Brando Dilla wrote:

The one with a freakin Yugoslavian flag doesn’t play commie doctrine? Also Comintern is actually pretty strong you just need to make sure you can survive until the end game.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • 6thDragon wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

I still wouldn’t under estimate allied LT spam. You’re still gonna make more units due to the fact that upgrades are cheaper and your units have more health. Even with less speed the only counter would be pan Asian light tanks or mot infantry, not changing much. While Pan Asian light tanks are better I wouldn’t say much much better, and that allied ones are completely worse or even Ineffective.
      I don't underestimate it. I've seen LTs used very well as a dominant strategy. I'm just saying it needs to be expanded on.
      There are many more effective counters than you're envisioning.

1. Anti Tank especially Commies, are cheap and very effective against tanks if put in place ahead of time. Yes they're too slow to move into place at the last minute. Plus they are stealth in cities and forests, with just LTs, you'll be ambushed and destroyed.

2. Tank destroyers, very similar to Anti Tank, except not stealth in cities, but still very effective defending against light armor.

3. Bombers. Yes, light armor fits into that sweat spot that neither the attack bomber nor tac bomber are optimized for it, but they're still effective and LTs will do practically no damage in return. Bombers are the perfect quick reaction force and can easily be shifted to different fronts to counter LT raiders.

4. Medium Tanks. In enough numbers they will tear up a LT stack. I've done this in an AvA style game where the enemy had a massive stack of leveled LT and AC rampaging through our core. I put two MTs in my capital and three more just outside so that the enemy couldn't see them before committing to the attack. Once they were engaged, I had the units outside the city join the fight and the LT stack was done. It was the best way I could think to take them on as they were Pan Asian and superior view range and speed. My only hope against them was MTs and a little strategic deception.
      I mostly agree with this, I’m also happy you mentioned medium tanks, as a medium tank apologist myself. Although I’m not a big fan of AT or TDs because they don’t work well against unarmored units. I’d say use Motorized infantry and planes of your own to strengthen the strategy.

• I hope you are all happy to know that for once i am not promoting the use of LT's in a game, i am forcing myself to try new things, like only using the Infantry Tech Branch(But AA/Navy is allowed of course, otherwise its impossible) Because honestly i need a challenge, i have won my past 4 games in a row and i feel like i need something...exciting.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Fox-Company wrote:

I hope you are all happy to know that for once i am not promoting the use of LT's in a game, i am forcing myself to try new things, like only using the Infantry Tech Branch(But AA/Navy is allowed of course, otherwise its impossible) Because honestly i need a challenge, i have won my past 4 games in a row and i feel like i need something...exciting.
      Nuke Only spam!

• Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

I hope you are all happy to know that for once i am not promoting the use of LT's in a game, i am forcing myself to try new things, like only using the Infantry Tech Branch(But AA/Navy is allowed of course, otherwise its impossible) Because honestly i need a challenge, i have won my past 4 games in a row and i feel like i need something...exciting.
      Nuke Only spam!
      I would die before i got to Nukes.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

Brando Dilla wrote:

The one with a freakin Yugoslavian flag doesn’t play commie doctrine? Also Comintern is actually pretty strong you just need to make sure you can survive until the end game.
      A) Just because I am from Yugoslavia doesn’t mean I have to play or like the Comintern doctrine.

B) Axis countries have a statistical advantage over Comintern doctrine at the start of the game.
      “A battle fought without determination is a battle lost.” - Josip Broz Tito
    • Damn two of my jokes just flew over your heads in a row. two stones miss two birds I guess lol.

Brando Dilla wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

A) Just because I am from Yugoslavia doesn’t mean I have to play or like the Comintern doctrine.
      B) Axis countries have a statistical advantage over Comintern doctrine at the start of the game.
      Maybe at the start, but long term Axis usually falls behind. I very rarely see Axis players in late game (like day 30 or past) in comparison to the other doctrines. More units or higher level ones eventually just out pace a smaller but better force, and Pan-Asian has many cheesy strategies to let it move forward compared to Axis.