Agressive/Expansionist AI

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Agressive/Expansionist AI

Is it just me, or is the in-game AI seemingly more aggressive now than was before the last update? As part of my playstyle, I prioritize keeping positive AI relations. In one match I was in recently, I was doing this really well. I had RoW and even SM with most AI nations (about 65%-70% global relations, very high, no nations were embargoing me). In this particular match, I was at war with another big player. This was a very large war, and, since my relations were high enough that all AI nations that were still left bordering me had given me RoW, I assumed I was safe from attack, and I committed almost all my units to this PvP war. All my borders left were with AI players, and all had positive relations with me. Defensive units in my cores didn't seem necessary. This is why I was quite shocked when one of the nations I had RoW with attacked me. No declaration of war, just attack, out of the blue. As I said before, I had very few defensive units left in my core areas. The war I was in was going pretty well for me (massive advances, 6 casualties for 200+ enemy units killed. The player lacked PvP skills.) however, my units were still over a day away. All of these factors combined made a 25k/d match 10k/d, and my 0 provinces lost record was lost. I did win the war and protect my cores, but that still was the biggest defeat I had in a while, and it was against AI.

I've never seen an AI attack like that, especially without any real reason or with positive relations. Later that same match, I saw other AI attack smaller AI as if expanding. I was wondering whether this is some new behavior or just a glitch. It seems to make keeping positive relations with AI pretty useless.
      Kind regards,
      Donk
      Bytro game addict and avid CoW player.

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• I've noticed that routing commands often ignore neutral territory. Example, I had a province revolt that was inside my territory. The AI country it revolted to tried to send a unit to garrison the revolted territory, which would have captured my province sandwiched province if I hadn't quickly granted ROW. I wonder if something like that happened here, where the AI's routing ended up passing through one of your provinces.
    • DxC wrote:

Not sure if anything has changed, but since you were gaining territory fighting the player, it caused your popularity to drop a lot. It seems like expansion is a bigger factor than other things, like declaring war.
      I had positive global relations. Including that nation. It even gave me RoW.

jubjub bird wrote:

I've noticed that routing commands often ignore neutral territory. Example, I had a province revolt that was inside my territory. The AI country it revolted to tried to send a unit to garrison the revolted territory, which would have captured my province sandwiched province if I hadn't quickly granted ROW. I wonder if something like that happened here, where the AI's routing ended up passing through one of your provinces.
      This is a possibility. The Ai did not declare war, it just attacked, probably because it was trying to move to a revolted province. The thing is, I have seen this happen previously with two AI nations. That's the weird thing.
      Kind regards,
      Donk

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• jubjub bird wrote:

As far as I know, every time an AI actually wants to go to war with you they go through the embargo->declare sequence so yea maybe it was something weird like that
      Yeah, that's what I thought too. It's quite odd to go RoW->War
      Kind regards,
      Donk

"Þ" > "th"

Display Spoiler

Слава
      Україні!

• Donk2.0 wrote:

Is it just me, or is the in-game AI seemingly more aggressive now than was before the last update? As part of my playstyle, I prioritize keeping positive AI relations. In one match I was in recently, I was doing this really well. I had RoW and even SM with most AI nations (about 65%-70% global relations, very high, no nations were embargoing me). In this particular match, I was at war with another big player. This was a very large war, and, since my relations were high enough that all AI nations that were still left bordering me had given me RoW, I assumed I was safe from attack, and I committed almost all my units to this PvP war. All my borders left were with AI players, and all had positive relations with me. Defensive units in my cores didn't seem necessary. This is why I was quite shocked when one of the nations I had RoW with attacked me. No declaration of war, just attack, out of the blue. As I said before, I had very few defensive units left in my core areas. The war I was in was going pretty well for me (massive advances, 6 casualties for 200+ enemy units killed. The player lacked PvP skills.) however, my units were still over a day away. All of these factors combined made a 25k/d match 10k/d, and my 0 provinces lost record was lost. I did win the war and protect my cores, but that still was the biggest defeat I had in a while, and it was against AI.

I've never seen an AI attack like that, especially without any real reason or with positive relations. Later that same match, I saw other AI attack smaller AI as if expanding. I was wondering whether this is some new behavior or just a glitch. It seems to make keeping positive relations with AI pretty useless.
      the AI always attacked like that, when I made a post about it, nobody believed me
      知己知彼,百战不殆
      :00010164: :00008172: :00002178: :00002047: :00000156: :00010180: :00010317: