Promoting units (suggestion)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Promoting units (suggestion)

So manpower and morale are two of the same thing in this game.

When you promote your units it cost a good chunk of different resources, including manpower. When you promote a unit with low moral and spend manpower to upgrade them, why doesn’t the “promotion” heal them to full strength?

Your spending resources and manpower, why should the newly promoted/ upgraded unit stay with low morale?
    • That could be interesting but it would drastically change how the game is played, what units are preferred, and would require a lot of balancing. Players would run their units to very low HP and then upgrade them. It would promote inefficient battles. Currently players try to lose as little HP as possible
    • Make upgrade costs proportional to unit strength.
      A unit at 50% health should cost 50% less to upgrade.

The game could work either way:
      1. Upgrades have the side-effect of healing, thus they cost more for damaged units.
      2. Upgrades do NOT have the side-effect of healing, thus they cost less for damaged units.

Pick either one, it would be fine!

What players like myself do not like is the fact that all upgrades cost the same but the "value" of the upgrade is less for damaged units. This hurts inexperienced players the most, because they think they need to upgrade everything as soon as they can. Just like they research and build everything possible.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

What players like myself do not like is the fact that all upgrades cost the same but the "value" of the upgrade is less for damaged units. This hurts inexperienced players the most, because they think they need to upgrade everything as soon as they can. Just like they research and build everything possible.
      It kind of makes sense though.
      Let's say I have a heavily damaged battleship and some not so heavily damaged ones. If I wanted to refit and modernise them, it would probably cost the same (or even more) to do so to a more damaged ship, especially an older one. Not counting repairs, it would still be less worthwhile then refitting one in good condition.
      This, and its age and obselescence, was one of the reasons that HMS Iron Duke wasn't modernised, and why after Pearl Harbour some ships were modernised far more expensively than others.
      That said, battleships and carriers (and probably other ship units) in this game are implied to be individual warships. Infantry, tank, and artillery regiments, and aircraft squadrons, represent of course large numbers of infantry, guns, tanks, and planes. It would probably make less sense with a whole unit.
      Kneel before the might of Bangladesh
    • What makes sense?

In your battleship example, let's say your ship took torpedo damage, and you decide to fit it with better guns and a new propulsion system. After spending all the time, manpower, and money to get that done, the ship sails out..... with several compartments still flooded from torpedo damage???

That makes NO sense, at all.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

let's say your ship took torpedo damage, and you decide to fit it with better guns
      What he was saying instead is that it might not be worth it to upgrade such a damaged ship in real life. In anycase, it's fun to compare game mechanics to real life, but that doesn't always make sense and doesn't necessarily make the game better.
    • DxC wrote:

z00mz00m wrote:

let's say your ship took torpedo damage, and you decide to fit it with better guns
      What he was saying instead is that it might not be worth it to upgrade such a damaged ship in real life. In anycase, it's fun to compare game mechanics to real life, but that doesn't always make sense and doesn't necessarily make the game better.

I agree that 1 level upgrades rarely make sense, even for "new" units. If you can go up 2-3 levels, upgrades become a bit more appealing. Depends on where the units are as well as their condition.

My point was, there should be a way to refurbish/repair a unit, the cost should be relative to the HP being added, and this should be combined with the upgrade function in some fair and logical way. The disconnect between upgrades and repairs/healing is illogical and annoying.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

What makes sense?

In your battleship example, let's say your ship took torpedo damage, and you decide to fit it with better guns and a new propulsion system. After spending all the time, manpower, and money to get that done, the ship sails out..... with several compartments still flooded from torpedo damage???

That makes NO sense, at all.
      Exactly, it doesn't make sense. That's my point.
      It should cost far more to upgrade a damaged unit. Since it doesn't, I don't see why it should be repaired.
      Kneel before the might of Bangladesh
    • Just wanted to point out that manpower and MORALE are different things. First manpower is used to create units by providing exactly what it says MANPOWER. Morale on the other hand is the outlook the population of a province has toward the future. You are mistakenly using an old word for Hit Points. That said.

The biggest objection to "healing" units by upgrading them is that you ALREADY get a discount of upgrading unit for 50% of the cost of building new units so if you added healing to an upgrade you really are asking to just give you new units. You have the CHOICE to upgrade a unit or not, if a damaged unit is not close to full health I just build a new unit rather than upgrade the damaged one.
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel