Building lesser units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The reason is simple, you can build lesser units quickly and then upgrade them for 50% of the cost of building them new. Currently if you build as you go you will have a mix of unit levels and production time but you could not build 100 LTs at L1 and then upgrade them to L4 without getting that mix. However with you idea you could.
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • Gen. Smit wrote:

mind you that upgrading is certainly not a cheaper option
      Not cheaper? 50% is far cheaper than 100% cost to build a new unit and that applies to any unit regardless of the level. A Level 1 Light Tank going to L3 (or higher) still only cost 50% of the L3 Light Tank. It is always far cheaper to upgrade than build a new unit, people make the mistake of saying it cost more to upgrade when in reality it cost LESS. Do the math for building 3 new L2 Rocket Artillery. Then compare that that to the cost of upgrading 3 L1 Rocket Artillery to L2. You will Find it is less not more, the reason people make that mistake is that upgrading multiple units makes it look like more due to it being multiple units.

Cash x3 5370 Food x3 2760 Manpower x3 3750 Metal x3 1200 Rare x3 4440
      Compared to

As you can see it is LESS expensive to upgrade.

So yes it is FAR and AWAY cheaper to upgrade
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • jubjub bird wrote:

You're ignoring the cost to produce the underleved unit. He is not.
      Yep it is pretty much always more expensive in total resources to build say level 1 then upgrade to any higher level. For example, level 1 AA cost 820 goods. Level 6 AA cost 1670 goods. 820 + 1670 / 2 = 1655. So even jumping FIVE levels you are just barely saving on resources (15 goods in this case). The obvious advantage of upgrading is time, especially later in the game when research levels are high and it takes forever to produce a unit.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

You're ignoring the cost to produce the underleved unit. He is not.
      I am not ignoring the cost of building the L1 unit, it is a MOOT POINT. He wants to be able to build L1 units while he researches up to L6 (or any level). The point you are missing is that this will enable cheap units to be built quickly that can then be upgraded whenever and ignore the progressive cost of L2, L3, L4 and L5 units without having to pay the increased cost of building these units as his research continues to progress NOT counting the increased cost to upgrade unit production buildings to keep times within reason. So normally if you research L2 units and build them you will pay increased cost to make new units and the same for each researched level after that. With his idea you BYPASS all of those cost which would normally be the case. The OVERALL cost of building new higher level units while you research them would be gone.

With this suggestion there would be no reason to EVER build L2-L5 unit production buildings. It would require that unit cost be reexamined and in the interest of fairness and playability would probably need to be INCREASED as well as doing away with the reduced cost of upgrades. It would require a COMPLETE reworking of the entire system of unit production. Which would also require a complete revamping of the economic system as well. It would make those that build nothing but a L1 unit production building and ignore their economy equal to those that actually invest in improving their national economy and production facilities. There is a reason that those that build their economy currently win because they can afford to pay for new units at higher levels and build higher level unit production buildings. While I am not a fan of the current system this would just be complete return to 1.0 and I do not see that happening nor would I approve of it, the system as it is works, this would not improve the overall game, it would just return it to a prior state.

The post was edited 1 time, last by S Schmidt ().

• This whole thread is a bunch of bologna, you can't build lesser units because it would mean you can make units better for half the cost, jeez it's that simple, not to be rude but, its true, lol.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • DxC wrote:

Being able to produce units at lower level than your current research would be a good thing. They would just have to make it so that these units couldn't be upgraded.
      then the whole point would be useless, forever having garbage units
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • DxC wrote:

Being able to produce units at lower level than your current research would be a good thing. They would just have to make it so that these units couldn't be upgraded.
      Agreed, or upgraded only a to a certain level above, upgraded tanks (we have seen now in Ukraine) kan never be as good as new ones, it remains a "new sadle on old horse". The system as it is is ok, making new systems would require dramatic rebalancing.

In any case it is the problem of those who dont build proper economies, simply they learned they could get away wth that on small maps and a coalition of "blitzkriegers". against inexperienced players, it simply does not work against players who make good strategies and build economies.

An alternative may be that upgrading time is at least not only dependent on difference in lvl, but also on highest lvl of production facility, so if upgrading becomes an extremely long process it becomes less favourable, the thing is that golding upgrading should just not be possible.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gen. Smit ().

• UI-wise, if this ever gets implemented, PLEASE do it in a way that we don't need an extra click ("What level do you want to build", default the highest) for every single build order we do. The "name" question for capital ships is irritating enough.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

UI-wise, if this ever gets implemented, PLEASE do it in a way that we don't need an extra click ("What level do you want to build", default the highest) for every single build order we do. The "name" question for capital ships is irritating enough.
      Agreed.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.