Naval Combat Problems

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Naval Combat Problems

There is something terribly wrong with the Naval combat portion of this game. Last night before I turned in I set a fleet of mine consisting of 5 cruisers (level 4 or 5), 2 battleships (L4), 10 destroyers (L4) against an enemy fleet consisting of 19 destoyers, 5 cruisers, and 5 subs. The enemy edged me in combat points by about 75. I woke up this morning to find my whole fleet was lost, and the enemy didn't lose even one ship.

How can that be? I'm hanging on playing this game by a thread it's such a farce. It Bytro or whoever, doesn't want my money then fine. But it's completely ridiculous that I lose an entire fleet that took many days to build up and the enemy doesn't lose any.

I expected to lose the battle, but I think I had a reasonable expectation that the enemy force would at least be whittled down a little bit.

This game is a joke. Think I'll go back to playing World of Warships. WHo needs this nonsense?
    • Have you filed a bug report so that this could be looked into?
      Have you read the game newspaper to see what happened in the naval battle?

What probably happened, is that you foe had more subs hiding, or sent his subs form that stack forward to attack your stack. these subs would have locked up your naval stack in combat so that they could not bombard the enemy ships.

Furthermore, your stack had probably stopped once the battleships were in fighting range. This means that your cruisers and destroyers were useless.

The mechanics of this game go into much more detail then you have assumed, and advanced strategy should be used to make sure you stand a chance.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • "There is something terribly wrong with the Naval combat..." What?

"Last night before I turned in I set a fleet of mine..." Ohhhhh, that's what happened.

Oso is right, the tactics are very intricate in the game. I have harrassed players with Armored cars ripping through the rear after breakthrough of the line, I will march it just up to a unit and then turn around while they try chasing me (then after they have fallen for bait car, I bomb them with Air power) and escape with the knowledge of what they have. The more you play, you learn the nuances of using units together. Tough loss, chalk it up to experience, and start another game. You may have lost the battle, but you can still win the war. Micromanaging combat is a must.
    • i can definitely confirm the existence of a naval unit bug of some sort, at least as of 2 days ago.

Here is what happened:

i began a naval battle against a small AI navy that consisted of two cruisers and three destroyers. Against this force i employed several small forces which totaled four subs, three destroyers, and two cruisers. i attacked his forces while his units were separated so, initially, i seemed to have an attrition advantage. He was losing units faster than i was and my only goal was to eliminate his force to secure the area for shipping so i wasn't too concerned about my naval losses. i did, however, assign a battleship to engage, which arrived later in the battle. Attrition took place somewhat as expected and i ended up having one cruiser, one destroyer, and one sub (all about 60% strength) against his lone 57% lvl 2 destroyer.
      Then my lvl 3 87% battleship arrived and began bombarding from a distance. This should have made short work of the destroyer and i ignored the battle while attending to many other land battles.

About six or seven hours later i checked on the naval battle and assumed it would long ago have ended. Instead, his lone destroyer had dropped down from 57 to 56% and my battleship was at 46% and the cruiser squadron (the other ships) were all down in the teens. Ummm..

OK, the problem seemed to occur somewhere around the time the battleship joined the action. Supposedly, it was bombarding from a distance and should have taken little or no damage and it remained a separate squadron from the cruiser/sub/destroyer squadron. i thought maybe there were submarines in the area that i didn't see and so dispatched a naval bomber to scout the area, but none turned up. Still, even if the battleship were somehow being prevented from engaging the lone destroyer, the lvl 2 cruiser alone should have sunk it fairly quickly.

Can anyone think of something i might have been missing? In the first part of the game all the naval battles seemed to go as expected and then this happened.
    • I wrote:

i thought maybe there were submarines in the area that i didn't see and so dispatched a naval bomber to scout the area, but none turned up.
      Did you check the newspaper to see if subs had attacked, dealt damage, but were then sunk in the six or seven hours you were away? Or if he had any naval bomber wings damaged? If not, it would be best to file a bug report, but it is best to read the newspaper constantly. Every time you log on, and whenever you may have missed a naval battle.

The fact that his fleet took very little damage does raise concerns, though if he dispatched subs to attack both your fleet, and your battleship, your ships would have begun to fight the subs, and would have then ignored the enemy fleet. The subs could have lasted four hours given destroyers are the only units decent against subs, cruisers being, "Okay, I guess."

I could be wrong, it is also very possible that there is a bug that is messing with naval battles. Check your newspaper closely, make sure the sunk subs are not in a separate article from the naval battle, and report the bug if there is one so the game developers can look into it.
      Free Time looks good on me
    • I have had the same problem. I have lost 3 battleships over the course on two battles. All these battles took place against Cruiser, Destroyers, and subs. At one point I had a stack of 31 vessels, including 6 battleships, against 5 enemy (3 destroyers 2 Cruisers). I lost 4 ships during this engagement, including a battleship. At the previous person had mentioned, I should have made quick work of this, but instead took more damage then my enemy. Seems that something is not correct here. Additionally, when are we going to repair the bug with the nuclear option. I have had to stop making nuclear weapons because they are not dependable!
    • Hi,
      This may be a game mechanic to give 'realistic' and historic feel.
      Many non-war ships, especially early on, were sunk using the deck mounted cannon as opposed to wasting a rare and valuable torpedo.\Torpedoes were saved for sneaky dusk/dawn attacks and for warship, or a truly great prize like a luxury liner.
      So when surfacing to use the deck gun it may be possible for lightly armed surface vessels to 'fire back'.
      With the use of armed Q-ships (wolf in sheep's clothing) and radios on board to report attacks the Unterseaboats stopped letting people off before they sank them and also stopped using deck guns. I believe the deck cannon was eventually used as an AA position rather than anti shipping.
      .....or it could just be a bug....

The post was edited 1 time, last by Strategos420 ().

• I often feel as though there is no tactical advantage to running subs other then ambushing convoys. I have sent fleets of submarines against fleets of battleships and watched as the subs dropped like fly's and the battleships took little to no damage whatsoever. Using sub's as stealth surprise attack ships and having some sort of tactical advantage by using torpedoes doesn't exist in this game, despite what is being said. Not to mention gold is a major issue in this game which I am dealing with right now, cant tell if this guy is hack or just has this much gold, but he landed on my coast line, built an entire province with air bases, industrial, infrastructure, fortifications, and nuclear facilities, had 3 nuclear rockets, 33 tactical bombers, and 30+ tanks in a matter of 2-3 hours, and he has zip for resources according to my paid by gold intelligence. Right now as we speak I am exchanging nuclear bombers with this guy, and he continues to sweep across the globe without a single person capable of matching the sheer number of units, and the fact that they are all maxed out for the most part. I grant that he has a good strategy but the balance issues between those who have gold and those who dont are atrocious in this game, and thats coming from someone whos probably spent about 50 bucks already.
    • I find when someone wants to buy a game, it's best to leave it. But with some games I have been known to transfer 90% of my forces to another country that is doing battle with another country that may be near me, just so I don't take the -5 morale hit for being at war with another country. It takes trust, but the goodwill can go a long way. Typically those that spend a lot of gold aren't that good of a player. So he builds a lot of air force, start building a lot of AA. There is a point where a coiner will stop spending.
    • My issue with that is, when your 60 days invested into a game, and someone suddenly decides they are going to buy 150 dollars worth of gold and win the game because there are only 4 players left, it makes you feel as if your entire time playing has been wasted only for someone to pay to win. And its not even like i can combat it without spending money, because the non monetary portion of the game takes time and skill to bear the fruit of your labor vs just buying it out right. Not to mention they have all but eliminated the ability to earn gold through offers. The few ones that did work for me were immediately pulled when they realized how much free gold was going out and none of the others I have done have ever reported or completed or given me anything for taking the time to do them. And this is coming from someone who has invested at least 50 dollars over time into this game.
    • Spawne32 wrote:

built an entire province with air bases, industrial, infrastructure, fortifications, and nuclear facilities, had 3 nuclear rockets, 33 tactical bombers, and 30+ tanks in a matter of 2-3 hours
      Yeeaah, some players will do that, I have seen it a few times during my games and it really sucks.

Most players use gold as a substitution for not being good enough or active enough, some just use a little bit to gain tactical advantages when things are heating up, like finishing an airbase or fortification early or healing a unit. However when you encounter a massive golder and there is no-one helping you, I sometimes cancel all productions and troop movements then logoff in order to go inactive as fast as possible to not let it destroy my stats. Though most of the time I fight it till the end.

but just think that you are -that good- that someone has to spend insane amounts of gold in order to beat you/your allies.

And then remember that it keeps the game free and that you are actually not allowed to bitch about it according to the rules :)
      Sincerely, wildL
      EN Mod
      Report a problem