Patrol no longer gives intelligence reports?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I am just going to throw in my two cents at this point. A few years ago I came across an old report on the use of AAA to defend the Remagen bridge. This was a report written by either the AAA Command or the Air Defense School a few years after the war to show HOW to conduct a defense of a vital location should be handled. Due to the many years between when I read that report and today the links are sadly no longer active. But I do remember the major points of this report that bear on the idea of giving the game AA units some range, to put it simply that would be a mistake. The limited range of AAA at the time required that the 3 different AAA units assigned to defend the Bridge from German air attacks essentially defend the bridge from within sight of the bridge or in essence point blank range. They simply could not move to far distant from the bridge and still be able to defend it. The only saving grace for the defenders was they KNEW the approaches that the Luftwaffe would have to use to attempt to destroy the bridge and were able to position all of their guns to cover those approaches. In other words they were only able to defend when attacked because of their limited range, so giving the AA in the game either an offensive ability or an increased range would not be in keeping with the weapons of the time.
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • S Schmidt wrote:

I am just going to throw in my two cents at this point. A few years ago I came across an old report on the use of AAA to defend the Remagen bridge. This was a report written by either the AAA Command or the Air Defense School a few years after the war to show HOW to conduct a defense of a vital location should be handled. Due to the many years between when I read that report and today the links are sadly no longer active. But I do remember the major points of this report that bear on the idea of giving the game AA units some range, to put it simply that would be a mistake. The limited range of AAA at the time required that the 3 different AAA units assigned to defend the Bridge from German air attacks essentially defend the bridge from within sight of the bridge or in essence point blank range. They simply could not move to far distant from the bridge and still be able to defend it. The only saving grace for the defenders was they KNEW the approaches that the Luftwaffe would have to use to attempt to destroy the bridge and were able to position all of their guns to cover those approaches. In other words they were only able to defend when attacked because of their limited range, so giving the AA in the game either an offensive ability or an increased range would not be in keeping with the weapons of the time.
      Would you recommend we bash down artillery, RRG, Cruiser, and Battleship range too, because those are all greatly increased for gameplay.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.