Countering a large stack

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rhys.Jones03 wrote:

I am mid/end game however every city seems to have a large stack with a complete variety of troops such as artillery, anti air, infantry and all tank variety's. What is the most efficient way to take out these stacks with as little casualties as possible?
      Actually... I think you might be able to do it with Rockets at that point, in mid/end game you should be able to have enough ressources to go for it, level them to level 3 or 4 and let the fun begin

^^
      Winterfliege

:thumbup:
    • Rhys.Jones03 wrote:

I am mid/end game however every city seems to have a large stack with a complete variety of troops such as artillery, anti air, infantry and all tank variety's. What is the most efficient way to take out these stacks with as little casualties as possible?
      Railroad guns
      bombers
      rockets
      having more and higher level rocket artillery
      battleships
      cruisers
      having more and higher level artillery than enemy
      nuclear plane
      nuclear rockets

attacking well-protected cities with melee units is suicide you need ranged ground and naval units with planes
      planes should be 2nd option
      and attacking with melee units is last option

you can use paratrooper , commando , motorized infantry or mechanized infantry with medium and heavy tank to attack cities

The post was edited 3 times, last by Undaunted ().

• Uhh, sure. Anything except rockets.

The only time rockets are the answer, the question is an airfield with planes on it, and/or refueling planes on an airfield. Else the cost is not worth the HP damage you inflict. You're better off attacking with high-level bombers or gun/rocket artillery. Depends where the enemy is weakest.

If you have lots of time and it's already in your plans: Railroad Gun. Especially if you're playing Axis, which has earlier access to RRG and the RRG has more range than normal.
    • If you dont have time, go around it with a fast province capping force ;)

Enbsure air dominance, in the case they send bombers to attack your capping force you can kill these off using your interceptors. If they patrol over cities then you can often snipe off planes using a minimal patrol circle overlap approach, this is handy when they are using multiple patrol stacks, just exploit the tiniest weaknesses in their strategy, there is always a few,
    • The way I deal with very large stacks containing artillery is to congregate as much of my artillery as possible (I always have a lot) just outside of his artillery range. Then depending if he has mostly ART or rocket ART I will send in soft or hard targets to take artillery hit. Then send in my artillery to hit him and retreat. Then just repeat every time his artillery attacks my sacrificial stack. Of course RRGs would be nice also.
    • Why do I feel like most people only read one half of what someone else wrote?

Q: "... with as little casualties as possible?"
      A: "Just use Artillery or Bombers or screw it and go into melee"

Like.. what the hell?!

Rockets and Atomic Rockets are the best way, okay yeah, Railroad Guns and Battleships too, but everything else you can unread... Everything else will bring casualties...

I mean yes, those other units are most likely more cost efficient, but they've got some potential to bring you many casualties, unlike rockets, they can't bring you casualties...

Am I crazy or why does almost no one really answers the last part of the question?

--
      ouch
      --
      Winterfliege

• Winterfliege wrote:

Why do I feel like most people only read one half of what someone else wrote?

Q: "... with as little casualties as possible?"
      A: "Just use Artillery or Bombers or screw it and go into melee"

Like.. what the hell?!

Rockets and Atomic Rockets are the best way, okay yeah, Railroad Guns and Battleships too, but everything else you can unread... Everything else will bring casualties...

I mean yes, those other units are most likely more cost efficient, but they've got some potential to bring you many casualties, unlike rockets, they can't bring you casualties...

Am I crazy or why does almost no one really answers the last part of the question?

--
      ouch
      --
      actually rockets bring you casualties
    • Undaunted wrote:

Compare it to the casualties you get from attacking that stack with bombers or normal/rocket artillery or cruisers or anything else that will be in range of their artillery, doesn't seem to be that much after all, but if you prefer to have a few stacks of bombers and artillery standing around to heal for several days, go for it ^^
      Winterfliege

• Winterfliege wrote:

Undaunted wrote:

Compare it to the casualties you get from attacking that stack with bombers or normal/rocket artillery or cruisers or anything else that will be in range of their artillery, doesn't seem to be that much after all, but if you prefer to have a few stacks of bombers and artillery standing around to heal for several days, go for it ^^
      i have confirmation that the crews of the rockets are strapped to them, hence the casualties after hitting their target.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Winterfliege wrote:

heeeeyyy.... that would be a nice suggestion for Bytro, to remove casualties from using rockets... I mean, what else would you do with rockets, letting them stay in a province and gathering dust on them?

Wow, pretty rare that I get pissed over such a little feature xD
      Welcome to Forum Life. Real Life Anger Simulation.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • DxC wrote:

The way I deal with very large stacks containing artillery is to congregate as much of my artillery as possible (I always have a lot) just outside of his artillery range. Then depending if he has mostly ART or rocket ART I will send in soft or hard targets to take artillery hit. Then send in my artillery to hit him and retreat. Then just repeat every time his artillery attacks my sacrificial stack. Of course RRGs would be nice also.
      This is the approach I would take as well. Have your arty converged on one location at a time. If it has weaker AA, have your bombers join too, otherwise use your bombers to take out any groups with weak AA that are attempting to reinforce the city you have under siege. If they are defending their cities, you can often find one bordered by hills or mountains for the terrain bonuses for your arty. If any stacks are light on arty, send SP arty to that one to bombard and retreat, if you’re active, the melee stack will never catch you. If you have slower moving units and they try to catch you in melee with a fast rush, it’s worth keeping your bombers on standby to bring down anything trying to catch you.

Another tactic I use to avoid getting caught by a rush is to position either an AC or militia off the center of a province you plan to retreat through so you can retake the province after they move through it so you can keep the favorable movement rate.