Upgrading shouldn't cost manpower.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Upgrading shouldn't cost manpower.

I just realized this - since upgrading costs the same resources as creating a new unit, it basically is the same as creating units and isn't really interesting.
      If it didn't cost manpower, it would be more interesting for sure:
      - players could sacrifice some res to spam lv1 units and keep them for later upgrading (to lv4 or something). This would make the "spam units, don't fight" strategy a legit idea, whereas now all-in expansion is the only legit one.
      - it's also realistic, equipping an old regiment with new weapons doesn't require new men. Manpower cost does grow with levels as if the regiment size increased, but it's not really a big deal so I'd just ignore it.

There are prob. two issues with this,
      1. passively building up army at cca. day 1-4 while everyone else is aggressivve&at the limit is a strong strategy already. The idea of such passive players upgrading their 45 infantry to lv3 manpower-free seems OP.

But, if you think about it, they'll spend a lot of food on it, so they can't build recruiting stations, run out of manpower and their army production gets very low in the following days. Focusing on armored cars and building like 25 of them is also a way, but it too has its big problems: depleting goods and metal, which you need both for arty and for recStations, and lacking anti-tank defense.

2. It might put the good experienced players way over new ones. But spamming lv1's and waiting to upgrade them to eg. lv5 is actually not that convenient. You have to spam the lv1's early (before you start researching up to lv5), so you lose resources at a time you need them most.
      This means the only way this is very strong, is if in late game, you spam a new unit type that you don't have upped yet, so you can make lv1 units. Then, you gotta wait like 5 days for research to upgrade them. And yes, you can get a ton of value from like 70 infantry lv6 costing you half the manpower. This encourages players to tech switch in late game, which I like. Since you still spend a lot on research, you're discouraged from tech-switching into units you don't need - which I also find reasonable.

Overall, this balance change seems OK to me. I might be wrong, of course (I haven't played for half a year). Whatever...
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper