sp anti air units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• sp anti air units

these units should have a defensive range like artillery. i know it would be asking too much to ask for the standard AA guns to have it as well but you have to over build AA units against players who know how to use nuke bombers. the nuke bomber only has to hit the city of a stack leaving a province to kill most of it even if the stack had suffecient AA to kill the plane
    • In the case you describe the AA of any unit taking damage would defend, that is the way AA works, that is why it will damage aircraft on patrol that damage units. All defensive damage is applied before any offensive damage such as Nuke bomber attacks. Tbh the way current AA works is about as close to reality as it was during WWII anti aircraft artillery was very limited in range except for Heavy AA like the 88 and 90 mm guns and above which were stationary units that usually were in permanent emplacements like the Zoo tower in Berlin. The Zoo Tower had a 10KM range which from what I understand is twice the current splash damage range. To me allowing any changes to any AA esp SPAA would remove the true difficulty of Anit Aircraft defense that was true during WWII. (I suggest reading the article from Popular Mechanics or watching this YouTube Video from the article to understand how limited AA was.) Another example I remember reading about was a US Army article on the effective use and emplacement of AA to defend the Remagen Bridge. The article described how the only reason that the AA (from both SPAA and heavy AA units) was able to attempt to defend the Bridge from Luftwaffe attempts to destroy the bridge was the limited approaches that aircraft could use to bomb the bridge. Which shows once again how limited in effectiveness AA was.
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • yeah but how many nukes were actually used in ww 2. i know that there are not actually a lot used here but still unless you have total fighter plane coverage a nuke bomber can hit a province while you are moving and damage your units. it kinda makes the AA you have in then useless unless directly attacked.i see your point of view and i guess if a player pours all the resources into making one they should have nitch to be used
    • Aactually you have missed the point. You would not have made the comment

ralltcat wrote:

it kinda makes the AA you have in then useless unless directly attacked

if you had actually read what I wrote.

S Schmidt wrote:

any unit taking damage would defend, that is the way AA works, that is why it will damage aircraft on patrol that damage units. All defensive damage is applied before any offensive damage such as Nuke bomber attacks

Any unit that takes damage from ANY aircraft will defend. The type of attack does not matter. Direct Attack or Patrol does not matter, and since nuke bombers can only do direct attacks, they deal damage this way. As defensive damage is applied BEFORE any offensive damage is applied, this normally results in nuke bombers being destroyed BEFORE they damage anything. It does not matter if units with AA are the target of the direct attack or not, they would suffer the damage from an attack and therefore will do their AA defensive fire. Finally fyi ALL units but Rockets have AA defense, so attacking a large stack of units or even a large amount of solo units will likely result in a shot down Nuke bomber dealing no damage.
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • Tbh you might be correct. I have no knowledge of nukes as my games end before nuke bombers can be used. My only experience with nukes is the Doomsday events and there iirc you start with missile and can build them (if you survive the initial onslaught of fire and brimstone.)

BUT in theory it should be handled as I described and it sounds like to use them that way requires precession handling and probably micro management beyond what most players are willing.

• ralltcat wrote:

your AA units are only good for the stack they are protecting or province.
      As long as they are within 5km of the target of the aerial attack they will deal defensive damage to the planes before the planes deal their offensive damage. One solution to further buff anti air could be to simply extend this 5km to a larger value for anti air defense only.