How to manage resources after doing too much research?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to manage resources after doing too much research?

Hello everyone! I am Italian but I really like reading in your forum, I find it very full of useful information about this game! I do the translation, so forgive my English. I started a match on Europe clash of nations and I'm Germany. We are on the third day! I was wondering how to make good use of resources, what to prioritize.

I probably should have opened this discussion earlier, when I had more economic resources! But better late than never.

I have 1 level 3 industry that will reach level 4 in less than a day, it's the food industry! Level 2 petroleum industry, and 1 level 1 rare mineral industry. In iron and goods I have no industries yet.

I did these searches: Level 1 Militia, Level 1 Infantry, Level 1 Motorized Infantry, Level 1 Armored Car, Level 1 Light Tank, Level 1 Medium Tank, Level 1 Tank Destroyer, Level 1 Artillery, Level 1 Anti-Aircraft, Interceptor, Tactical Bomber, and Bomber strategic all three tier 1...tier 1 submarine and cruiser, and finally tier 1 flying bomb,

Reflecting, I realized that I had done too much research, perhaps I should have avoided some of them at least in the very first few days!
      Now I want to recover and focus on the industry.
      I have a good army, I've already conquered Luxembourg, half Denmark (shared with allied Sweden) half Switzerland (shared with Italy) and I'm finishing conquering France.

Now how am I supposed to go about it?
      I was thinking of investing up to level 5 food industry, then ramping up the other industries, before beefing up militarily...but I think that would take too much time. What do you think?
      Thanks in advance :D ^^ 8)
    • I think you make too wide of a gap between your industries. It is usually no good to have one resource type already at L4 while another doesn't have industry at all yet. Of course you have to place an emphasis, but two levels is about the maximum difference to make, I think. Of course when you plan to build large amounts of one type of unit only (in the food case, infantry), this may be different, but in general, you'll want a more diverse army than that.

It is not really a problem to have "empty" research slots in the first few days of the game, when resources are really tight. You can just build some core tech (infantry, artillery, subs, armored cars, etc). You could either use resources for industry when you're mostly at peace, or for units when you are involved in early wars. You should make sure your research slots are filled all the time by day 4-5 though; you DO need to keep up in the tech race in the long run for the key units that you will use in your game!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Bombo wrote:

I was thinking of investing up to level 5 food industry, then ramping up the other industries, before beefing up militarily...but I think that would take too much time. What do you think?
      In general you should prioritize industry in all city and province resource producing core locales. The sooner they are upgraded, the more benefit you get from them. It's hard to have too many resources; you can always use them for something. If you are not sure what resource you will be most limited by you should probably try to build industry more evenly. However, food isn't a bad one to prioritize since it usually sells well on the market and you can use it to buy other resources. You eventually want all your core industry at max level so the sooner this occurs the more benefit you will get.

The post was edited 1 time, last by DxC ().

• z00mz00m wrote:

Hahaha, it depends!
      Do you have aggressive neighbors?
      Are you surrounded by easy AI targets?
      It makes a difference.
      In any case, consider why you need each unit.
      And remember whatever units you build, should be max level.
      Hi boys! I will try to answer each of you. In the meantime, thanks for replying!

I have no aggressive neighbors, England has become inactive today, so even on the sea north of Germany, having Sweden as an ally, I am calm.
      I'm surrounded by AI yes, after having taken Luxembourg, divided Denmark with Sweden and half Switzerland divided with Italy, I'm thinking of also occupying Belgium and Holland... on the other hand I'm undecided whether to take the Austria which is at war with Yugoslavia (Yugoslavia fights to conquer it) and then attacks Yugoslavia itself.
    • DxC wrote:

Bombo wrote:

In general you should prioritize industry in all city and province resource producing locales. The sooner they are upgraded, the more benefit you get from them. It's hard to have too many resources; you can always use them for something. If you are not sure what resource you will be most limited by you should probably try to build industry more evenly. However, food isn't a bad one to prioritize since it usually sells well on the market and you can use it to buy other resources. You eventually want all your core industry at max level so the sooner this occurs the more benefit you will get.
      Thanks for the reply!
      I'll try like this!
      Today I put the level 1 metal industry under construction, I just need the goods industry!
      The one for food is about to reach level 5 and for oil at level 4!
    • When I'm not under pressure, I usually build oil, metal and rare industry first. This is what I need for more industry. Keep investing in industry. When those are maxed I switch to goods and food. Until then, oil, metal and rares are going into industry upgrades so food and goods are available for units. Which is perfect for building artillery, which is perfect for taking down AI countries and inactives. By day 3-4 all industry is maxed out and income is rolling in.
    • Bombo wrote:

Hello everyone! I am Italian but I really like reading in your forum, I find it very full of useful information about this game! I do the translation, so forgive my English. I started a match on Europe clash of nations and I'm Germany. We are on the third day! I was wondering how to make good use of resources, what to prioritize.

I probably should have opened this discussion earlier, when I had more economic resources! But better late than never.

I have 1 level 3 industry that will reach level 4 in less than a day, it's the food industry! Level 2 petroleum industry, and 1 level 1 rare mineral industry. In iron and goods I have no industries yet.

I did these searches: Level 1 Militia, Level 1 Infantry, Level 1 Motorized Infantry, Level 1 Armored Car, Level 1 Light Tank, Level 1 Medium Tank, Level 1 Tank Destroyer, Level 1 Artillery, Level 1 Anti-Aircraft, Interceptor, Tactical Bomber, and Bomber strategic all three tier 1...tier 1 submarine and cruiser, and finally tier 1 flying bomb,

Reflecting, I realized that I had done too much research, perhaps I should have avoided some of them at least in the very first few days!
      Now I want to recover and focus on the industry.
      I have a good army, I've already conquered Luxembourg, half Denmark (shared with allied Sweden) half Switzerland (shared with Italy) and I'm finishing conquering France.

Now how am I supposed to go about it?
      Thanks in advance :D ^^ 8)
      stop research , basic units are enough infantry artillery anti tank anti air
      hold some resource to develop factories firstly so dont spend your oil rare and iron randomly , focus to units which needs only goods and food

The post was edited 1 time, last by Undaunted ().

• At day 1 I generally build industry in all cities, some prefer local, but money income is less, and the resource production is only ,marginally better at some levels. Since the cities at level 3 serve also for higher levels 4 and 5 the Return of investment is beter if you start there sooner. But in the end it may not differ all that much.

However your choices do influence budgetting greatly

So only research what is really needed/essential, not what looks cool, the less you research the better it is. That money can be spend first on your economy or much needed units, in able to survive the first few days (and a little bit of expansion. (it would be good to get 2 capitals in the end of day 1 for 100% boosted economy from day 2 onwards. But this is not always feasible, 0 or 1 will go to. Surviving is of the essence. (reorganize troops to stacks and put them in strategical positions to attack or to retaliate against new players who start a war with one battalion.

Now in your list: Level 1 Militia, Level 1 Infantry, Level 1 Motorized Infantry, Level 1 Armored Car, Level 1 Light Tank, Level 1 Medium Tank, Level 1 Tank Destroyer, Level 1 Artillery, Level 1 Anti-Aircraft, Interceptor, Tactical Bomber, and Bomber strategic all three tier 1...tier 1 submarine and cruiser, and finally tier 1 flying bomb

you could scrap or research later:
      Level 1 Militia, Level 1 Infantry, Level 1 Motorized Infantry, Level 1 Tank
      Destroyer, Level 1 Anti-Aircraft, level 1 interceptor, Tactical Bomber, and Bomber strategic
      submarine and cruiser, flying bomb

All these could be postponed.,
      No body has yet aircraft to attack on day 1,
      Mot infantry though fast is fragile, you alreeady have AC to scout and defend, and attack infantry in the open.
      since nobody has a (decent) air fleet and most will have three AA, Need for AA interceptors is not yet required,
      Only for allies I start producing tactical boimbers on day 1, for all other doctrines I start typically later
      Tank destryer? you already start producing a medium tank, maybe build anti tank guns at first, and artillery for attack without casualties. Submarines are good, but naval invasions are in the beginning of the game not so common the flying bomb, well just dont research it, unless going for rocketgfighetrs, but they can be researched later in that case.

Also build only buildings you immediately require, so if I need may naval base at day 2-3 I will skip that one, and manage resources accordingly, same for air factory, I do however plan very well where I want my production facilities, so I reserve a spot.
    • Bye! I really liked your answer.

I was wrong for little experience and little right information in my second real game! Despite this it's going well, I'm first in the standings even though I think I'll probably be defeated because I only have one good ally in Sweden, Italy is very weak and it doesn't seem like they know how to play.

So, in my opinion the really wrong searches that I shouldn't have done are militia, motorized infantry, light tanks and therefore also medium tanks and tank destroyers. These are the units that I needed the least in the first 4 days!
      Today I'm on day 5... I'm studying the opponents, through spies I learned that Libya already has a battleship, so I decided to strengthen the submarines up to level 2, and I've already produced 3 ! Now I'm producing a cruiser.

I understood that it is good to use battleships for defense together with infantry, to strike from afar with artillery! This move made me defeat France, but this happens when you hit the enemy at night or when he's not active hahaha!
      Motorized infantry will produce very little, only to quickly conquer poorly defended lands together with light tanks.

Now practically conquering Yugoslavia, I'm almost in Sarajevo. This conquest was easy thanks to Yugoslavia's less skilled player.
    • My idea now is to get to Tirana (Albania had been conquered by Yugoslavia.) to research missiles, build fortifications in Albania (when it will become my colony) and hit Libyan military and industrial bases.
      Egypt is attacking Greece. And I think he'll conquer it about the same time it takes me to conquer all of Yugoslavia, then we'll border.
      I don't know how to move afterwards, I'm afraid that the Caucasus will allied with Egypt and Libya, the Caucasus has already conquered Ukraine and is pushing to conquer all of Turkey, it will soon border with Egypt which has conquered Syria!
      I hope that the USA will intervene in my favor, because Italy is weak and we can't do it alone with Sweden!

Sorry for the papyrus, but I wanted to share my little war story hahahah
    • Every body his own style a bit, but my general rule of thumb is::

-dont research and build anything yet that is not needed yet. (it is needed at the point that you need to start buildin/forming a stack) so if day 6 is the day of starting to expand by airforce for also having a mobile force to defend quickly with (against sole invaders like AC, LT or mot inf) than you can count back more or less when to start researching and building.

Using information from Spies, but even cheaper from the world herald , is useful. Sometimes I deceive players by not killing with my planes but let the final blow be dealth only by infantry and AC. So they will not research and vbuild planes and interceptors on small maps. untill it is too late. In any case many people are very tank minded there.
    • Bombo wrote:

My idea now is to get to Tirana (Albania had been conquered by Yugoslavia.) to research missiles, build fortifications in Albania (when it will become my colony) and hit Libyan military and industrial bases.
      Egypt is attacking Greece. And I think he'll conquer it about the same time it takes me to conquer all of Yugoslavia, then we'll border.
      I don't know how to move afterwards, I'm afraid that the Caucasus will allied with Egypt and Libya, the Caucasus has already conquered Ukraine and is pushing to conquer all of Turkey, it will soon border with Egypt which has conquered Syria!
      I hope that the USA will intervene in my favor, because Italy is weak and we can't do it alone with Sweden!

go militia - infantry - anti tank - artillery - anti air - rocket artillery - armored car - tank destroyer and ships you will be fine
    • Bombo wrote:

My idea now is to get to Tirana (Albania had been conquered by Yugoslavia.) to research missiles, build fortifications in Albania (when it will become my colony) and hit Libyan military and industrial bases.

use your spies for intelligence, you might already see whether they have Right of Way or share maps. Contact and communicate eventually. The problem is that you limit the expansion of both, well caucasus could go north after turkey, but west is the obvious and easy way.

If you cannot instruct/teach italy than it will be tough and you may have to make a difficult decision to let him die by the hand of a new ally or enemy or just kick him from the coalition.

I usually ensure that I dont enter a coalition to quick, sometimes you have to then push a bit around after a few days to get a position in a coalition, but in general I always succeed, by
      -eliminating a weak coalition member, creating yourself a free spot by showing your succes and worthyness
      -talking to coalition leaders or strong players in obviously weak coalitions
      -Sometimes by talking to "lone"/"silent" players and make them enthousiastic.
      -I even had two people in severe war with each other (north and south US), over 50000 casualties. I Convinced them peace was necessary to win the game, but that together with them we could win. They made a treaty and I convinced them to trade back their provinces turn by turn and they prepared a mass invasion of europe, successfully. This was the most epic political game ever in my experience.
    • Now I understand not to immediately create a coalition, but to wait and observe. I've always done the opposite because I thought that good early alliances could help me in the course of the game. But I need to be more level-headed, make good secure alliances as much as possible.

I don't want to betray Italy, even if I know that I will probably lose the match due to its weakness.
      I don't want to betray Italy because it financed me very economically with very generous commercial exchanges, perhaps also due to the fact that the Italy player has practically invested nothing in his own country except a few barracks. You know perfectly well that you can't win a game with barracks alone.

Anyway I have good news, the Caucasus attacked Egypt this late afternoon, at the moment they are waging war together!
      Now I want to figure out how to take advantage of things, both politically and militarily.
    • Gen. Smit wrote:

I even had two people in severe war with each other (north and south US), over 50000 casualties. I Convinced them peace was necessary to win the game, but that together with them we could win. They made a treaty and I convinced them to trade back their provinces turn by turn and they prepared a mass invasion of europe, successfully. This was the most epic political game ever in my experience.

This sounds like quite a project :)

The more efficient way to exploit this situation is to realize both countries are weak. Kill both of them, starting with the "winner" who has bled himself dry in the process of "winning", then keep going and finish both of them. Now you have 2 countries conquered, and you can focus on allying with someone smarter. Players who suffer large casualties are not good allies. You want someone with a strong industry, and a strong army, who knows how to win efficiently.
    • Bombo wrote:

Now I understand not to immediately create a coalition, but to wait and observe. I've always done the opposite because I thought that good early alliances could help me in the course of the game. But I need to be more level-headed, make good secure alliances as much as possible.
      I don't want to betray Italy, even if I know that I will probably lose the match due to its weakness.
      I don't want to betray Italy because it financed me very economically with very generous commercial exchanges, perhaps also due to the fact that the Italy player has practically invested nothing in his own country except a few barracks. You know perfectly well that you can't win a game with barracks alone.

Anyway I have good news, the Caucasus attacked Egypt this late afternoon, at the moment they are waging war together!
      Now I want to figure out how to take advantage of things, both politically and militarily.
      creating or joining a coalition is not bad always at the beginning

if they are 5 player at coalition and they are close to you
      you need to destroy one of them to show your worth and find a place in there
      but what will happen if you can't ??
      you can join 5 before one of them and leave after when you saw you don't need them anymore
      even they send units randomly to you at the beginning it is very hard to defend yourself
      so you need to follow your neighbours carefully when you came back to game after 2 hours you can see they created a coalition and have 5 member
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Gen. Smit wrote:

I even had two people in severe war with each other (north and south US), over 50000 casualties. I Convinced them peace was necessary to win the game, but that together with them we could win. They made a treaty and I convinced them to trade back their provinces turn by turn and they prepared a mass invasion of europe, successfully. This was the most epic political game ever in my experience.
      This sounds like quite a project :)

The more efficient way to exploit this situation is to realize both countries are weak. Kill both of them, starting with the "winner" who has bled himself dry in the process of "winning", then keep going and finish both of them. Now you have 2 countries conquered, and you can focus on allying with someone smarter. Players who suffer large casualties are not good allies. You want someone with a strong industry, and a strong army, who knows how to win efficiently.
      So guys, this is the situation!
      I just received a response from the US that they have agreed to an alliance, now I have to understand how true their words are, so I still have to speak well to them.

Regarding the war between the Caucasus and Egypt, the news in the newspaper is very important and positive, Egypt has lost about 24,000 men while the Caucasus only 8!
      How can I take advantage of this opportunity?
      Let's reflect on some hypotheses!
      1 I can take the side of Egypt, with which I have a right of way from before its entry into the coalition with Libya (I forgot to mention, we are not allies anyway, just a right of way).
      What would this choice cause?
      In case of victory Egypt and her coalition would still be alive, and they could attack me and my coalition, since there are no others active!

The second choice could be to line up for the Caucasus, make it an ally... But I still can't get him into the coalition, because I would have to eliminate Italy which, however scarce I would be sorry for that player.

3 choice, see how the war unfolded and try to intervene against both! This could be difficult, and anyway I would like to do it when at least 1 of the Caucasus and Egypt is almost destroyed!

If Libya, in alliance with Egypt, intervenes against the Caucasus, the situation that would arise would be very interesting. At the moment the Libyans are at war with Algeria, which is inactive.

Anyway you were very good in your political move :D