Are flying bombs rarely used?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Are flying bombs rarely used?

I've noticed since playing Cal Of War that flying bombs are practically unknown or not used, at least in the Italian sever!

I've entered several games since joining Cal of War, but only 3 am I seriously engaging.
      I practically won the first one, a 1939 historical map where I interpret Germany. I used flying bombs against England in the first week of the game, after conquering France!
      They have helped me tremendously in destroying the British economy and its structures. From then on there was my ascent to the world level! Now I'm in coalition and I just have to take cities to win the game! But I practically have no more threats, so I decided to take it easy and start two more games.

In the second, the one I told you about in my last post is still Germany but in a map of 22 players!
      I conquered France, part of Switzerland and Denmark, Luxembourg, and now I'm advancing towards Austria to then conquer Yugoslavia.

I intend to go as far as Tirana to create airbases and place missiles, from there to hit the Libyan coast (Libya is in coalition with Egypt and they are the strongest opponents together with the Caucasus and the USA).

Tornado to flying bombs, I believe that at the beginning of the game they can be fundamental to make their way towards stronger opponents, once the missiles are unlocked you aim at them, but at the beginning, in my opinion, the flying bombs are perfect for destroying the economy of neighboring countries.

What do you think about it?
    • jubjub bird wrote:

Flying bombs are only useful as a stepping stone to rockets, and rockets aren't even that useful except in fringe circumstances. Most players don't bother.
      no you can use them against planes which ones are refuelling , no anti-air value here and they have even bonuses at pan asian doctrine

btw rockets are very useful , they cant be show down and you cant destroy enemy airstrips with other planes ıf enemy only doesnt watch to screen

rockets can kill protected ranged targets like artillery and railroad gun when you cant reach with other units
    • Bombo wrote:

I've noticed since playing Cal Of War that flying bombs are practically unknown or not used, at least in the Italian sever!

I've entered several games since joining Cal of War, but only 3 am I seriously engaging.
      I practically won the first one, a 1939 historical map where I interpret Germany. I used flying bombs against England in the first week of the game, after conquering France!
      They have helped me tremendously in destroying the British economy and its structures. From then on there was my ascent to the world level! Now I'm in coalition and I just have to take cities to win the game! But I practically have no more threats, so I decided to take it easy and start two more games.

In the second, the one I told you about in my last post is still Germany but in a map of 22 players!
      I conquered France, part of Switzerland and Denmark, Luxembourg, and now I'm advancing towards Austria to then conquer Yugoslavia.

I intend to go as far as Tirana to create airbases and place missiles, from there to hit the Libyan coast (Libya is in coalition with Egypt and they are the strongest opponents together with the Caucasus and the USA).

Tornado to flying bombs, I believe that at the beginning of the game they can be fundamental to make their way towards stronger opponents, once the missiles are unlocked you aim at them, but at the beginning, in my opinion, the flying bombs are perfect for destroying the economy of neighboring countries.

What do you think about it?
      yes flying bombs are useful , usually players don't protect their core cities you can destroy 1 factory and 1 military production building with only 3 flying rockets , one of them only need 1 hour and 45 min
    • I think flying bombs are worthless, really invest into something that is gonna be useful all game long, and rockets are in general not the way to go.

Maybe a rocket-dominant strategy wil be fun for once but I am not suere it is viable, because (moving) troops easily dodge bombs and rockets
    • Not really. They're good at destroying buildings, and why would I want to destroy buildings in my core lands that I'm trying to retake? And any competent opponent will have enough AA to avoid most of the damage. You'd be (much, much, much) better off spamming militia.

I don't think I've ever produced a flying bomb. Maybe back in 1.0 or something, but certainly not recently.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

Not really. They're good at destroying buildings, and why would I want to destroy buildings in my core lands that I'm trying to retake? And any competent opponent will have enough AA to avoid most of the damage. You'd be (much, much, much) better off spamming militia.

I don't think I've ever produced a flying bomb. Maybe back in 1.0 or something, but certainly not recently.
      Bro, if you defend correctly, you should not need to destroy that many buildings, and AA slows the enemy, so that also plays to your advantage, either way.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

Even non-AA stacks have air defense, limiting the effectiveness of your attack.

And if you defend correctly, you shouldn't need flying bombs at all. Unless this is some last-ditch attempt to do some damage before you get run over by a better army.
      We learned one thing in air defense, you shoot with anything you got, if 100 soldiers try along the way the missile flies one may get lucky, its just a matter of statistics.
    • To me they are totally a waste of resources both to research and build, those resources can be put to much better uses. They are easily shot down and really not a threat except to buildings and other than airstrips why would you want to destroy what you want to capture. You want to capture a city as intact as possible so that it can be used against an enemy. What is better than using buildings that he paid for and constructed against him? You would be better using aircraft to destroy his units defending the city and just move in and capture it as intact as possible.
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • S Schmidt wrote:

To me they are totally a waste of resources both to research and build, those resources can be put to much better uses. They are easily shot down and really not a threat except to buildings and other than airstrips why would you want to destroy what you want to capture. You want to capture a city as intact as possible so that it can be used against an enemy. What is better than using buildings that he paid for and constructed against him? You would be better using aircraft to destroy his units defending the city and just move in and capture it as intact as possible.
      You seem to be oblivious to units being in peoples cities, and you DO want to bomb what you want to capture, because they will KEEP producing until you capture or destroy, and capturing them is a longer process, because the units IT PRODUCES will keep attacking you! Also you ignore that he may have alot of AA or other fighters aswell.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Fox-Company wrote:

You seem to be oblivious to units being in peoples cities, and you DO want to bomb what you want to capture, because they will KEEP producing until you capture or destroy, and capturing them is a longer process, because the units IT PRODUCES will keep attacking you! Also you ignore that he may have alot of AA or other fighters aswell.
      You seem to be oblivious to my statement that you destroy his units in the city with aircraft before capturing it. As for he may have a lot of AA, two things about that, one most players do not produce enough AA and two they do not upgrade them. By most I mean 95%-99% do not produce the AA in numbers to keep me from destroying them with properly employed aircraft. As for fighters once again most don't produce enough nor do they upgrade them. Also if those fighters are not in the city but based outside a city there are strategic bombers that can destroy any airstrip they are based on. Finally aircraft are NOT a one use weapon, so you can keep using them where as the resources used for flying bombs are just THROWN AWAY once used. As for taking longer, once again properly used aircraft do not take longer and if they do it is not enough time that you could produce units in sufficient numbers to stop it from being captured. So you keep destroying while I keep what I kill and I will have more to win. (FYI you really should READ the post in the guide section of the forums titled "Air Combat for COW1.5v- Guide for dealing some (in)decent damage" esp before you say anything about AA killing planes.)
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • S Schmidt wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

You seem to be oblivious to my statement that you destroy his units in the city with aircraft before capturing it. As for he may have a lot of AA, two things about that, one most players do not produce enough AA and two they do not upgrade them. By most I mean 95%-99% do not produce the AA in numbers to keep me from destroying them with properly employed aircraft. As for fighters once again most don't produce enough nor do they upgrade them. Also if those fighters are not in the city but based outside a city there are strategic bombers that can destroy any airstrip they are based on. Additionally aircraft are NOT a one use weapon, so you can keep using them where as the resources used for flying bombs are just THROWN AWAY once used. As for taking longer, once again properly used aircraft do not take longer and if they do it is not enough time that you could produce units in sufficient numbers to stop it from being captured. So you keep destroying while I keep what I kill and I will have more to win. (FYI you really should READ the post in the guide section of the forums titled "Air Combat for COW1.5v- Guide for dealing some (in)decent damage" esp before you say anything about AA killing planes.)
      I read the first part of that and, your instantly wrong, back when i didnt use LTS i spammed 10 AA into all my major cities before taking the offensive, therefore ensuring the constant production of units with little to no harm to the facilities there, and i do in fact upgrade my AA, and then all your Aircraft stuff after that becomes a rant, no i have but one thing to say, what would you do against fighters? you never stated your counter-offensive agaisnt that statment, you may suffer damage from the AA and destroy my facilites, sure, but what if i had 2, 10 stacks of Fighters nearby? i only produce Fighters of any Air units at all, you would lose all your attacking planes and i would waltz away with little worse for wear. and i always upgrade my fighters(if any) as soon as possible, so therefore you are now screwed.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • S Schmidt wrote:

Per me sono totalmente uno spreco di risorse sia per la ricerca che per la costruzione, quelle risorse possono essere utilizzate in modo molto migliore. Sono facilmente abbattuti e in realtà non rappresentano una minaccia se non per gli edifici e oltre alle piste di atterraggio perché dovresti voler distruggere ciò che vuoi catturare. Vuoi catturare una città il più intatta possibile in modo che possa essere utilizzata contro un nemico. Cosa c'è di meglio che usare edifici che ha pagato e costruito contro di lui? Faresti meglio a usare gli aerei per distruggere le sue unità che difendono la città e semplicemente spostarti e catturarla il più intatta possibile.
      Arrivederci! Grazie per la risposta!

Secondo me dipende dalle circostanze, le bombe volanti dovrebbero essere usate contro nemici forti con i quali non si ha alcuna speranza di competere ad armi pari. Allora sì, potresti usarli per abbattere e danneggiare le sue strutture e gli edifici militari.