Europe: Clash of Nations. My game with Poland!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Europe: Clash of Nations. My game with Poland!

Hi boys! I've been wanting to open a discussion on a forum for a while to talk about my Cal Of War game every day.
      So I chose to do it today. Indeed, tonight haha!

I chose Poland as a nation. As always I wanted Germany, but it was already taken!

In this discussion on the forum I will talk about my strategies, my goals, I also hope to receive advice on how to improve and maybe this can help me a lot in the future!

I chose the map "Europe, 22 team clash of nations" because it is the shortest one, and as my first "history report" in this forum on my experience as a player it seemed better to start like this.

Then.

Day 1 has yet to complete, but I'll update that tomorrow!

1 day:
      The first thing I did as soon as I entered the game, as usual, was to found a coalition!
      I haven't accepted anyone as an ally yet, but within a short time I received 2 requests. One from Romania and one from Turkey.
      The Romania player is at 17th level, while the Turkey one is practically new! at 1 level.
      So I'm very patient before accepting one of them into the coalition.
      I would like strong allies, looking around I noticed that the Italy player is of an excellent level, I wrote to him, but he still hasn't answered me, as is normal it will take some time.

In terms of research, I haven't started any! I want to invest a lot in industry and manpower, at least in the first 3 or 4 days.
      This is because I want to follow the advice you gave me in my previous discussions on the forum.

So I'm building 1 industri in 3 different provinces, and 1 manpower recruitment office in 3 different provinces. I think I'll do that for at least the first 3 days.

I noticed that besides me 2 other players have founded coalitions, 1 is communist Russia and the other is Sweden.

I don't know why but Ukraine opened up the right of way for me.

I will update this thread tomorrow!

I hope you like the idea of following me in my experience of this match! :D

Obviously if you want to give me some advice during the days they will be well accepted, I opened this discussion primarily for this!
    • Yeah, I would get ACs and ART out sooner than later. Even a single low level ART is very useful as, at a minimum, it can draw enemy units out so you can defend instead of attack with melee units. ACs are nice for seeing further, scouting, moving fast, and defending.
    • Some thoughts:
      - Absolutely research AC. It's always my first research of every game, immediately after starting production buildings. My 2nd research varies depending on doctrine and my strategy for that game, but artillery is usually a good one (or rocket art if you're comintern). I rarely research infantry.
      - Many bad players join coalitions immediately because they think it protects them. In reality it diminishes their ability to expand, and early coalition joiners often go inactive. Don't worry about the coalition yet.
      - Look at your neighbors and attack inactive ones before they go AI
    • jubjub bird wrote:

Some thoughts:
      - Absolutely research AC. It's always my first research of every game, immediately after starting production buildings. My 2nd research varies depending on doctrine and my strategy for that game, but artillery is usually a good one (or rocket art if you're comintern). I rarely research infantry.
      - Many bad players join coalitions immediately because they think it protects them. In reality it diminishes their ability to expand, and early coalition joiners often go inactive. Don't worry about the coalition yet.

Excellent points. On coalitions: players who form coalitions on day 1 are my first targets. The smart, dangerous players keep quiet. They grow strong (by taking their neighbors) and form coalitions later, usually after day 6 or day 8. By then, it's also obvious if you *need* coalition, or if you're better off going for a solo win.
    • Hi boys!
      The end of the first day is near!
      Now I don't think there will be much change between now and day two, so I decided to start the summary of what I did today.

I'll try to divide everything into phases!

Policy:
      Italy and Germany joined Scotland in coalition, while Russia stood alone!
      So I decided, after some reflection, to let Romania join the coalition, both as a defense but also because I have in mind to invade Ukraine which is very weak since it has already started 3 wars and is losing all!
      And I wanted Romanian help not to leave my borders too open in this attack.
      After Romania, England also joined the coalition! So now I have formed a coalition of 3 nations. Let's hope no one goes inactive.

Buildings:
      I started to build industries and recruiting offices, I've already almost reached the number 2 industry in some cities! While in others I got to industry 1 and recruiting office under construction.

I also built an ordnance armory, a tank plant, and a naval base.
      I chose to do the naval base because I think the Germans and the Swedes could bomb me on Gdansk with a cruiser, so if I can I want to do 1 cruiser and 1 submarine tomorrow. Tell me if you think I'm doing well

Research: I started researching the tank, artillery and anti-tank.

production: I have produced an artillery, an anti-tank, and that's it at the moment! But I think I'll make another one each at least before tomorrow morning!

How do you advise me to do?
      Germany, even if its player is not of the highest level, has already conquered the Netherlands, Denmark, and almost all of the Czech Republic. I think they will attack me soon, so I thought to build some fortifications on the border and produce 2 armored cars !
      I think tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow he will attack me! Either me or France, but I think me because France player is kind of level 1!

Romania is scarce and England is an island so it will be difficult to help me!
      That's why I'm undecided whether to attack Ukraine or not! I wanted to take Kiev and Odessa and leave the rest to Romania, but Romania attacks very badly! They have already lost 2 infantry and an armored personnel carrier!

I think that if I survive the first 4 or 5 days, with the economy I'm building, I think it will be much easier!
    • Bombo wrote:

Hi boys!
      Now I don't think there will be much change between now and day two, so I decided to start the summary of what I did today.

Policy:
      So I decided, after some reflection, to let Romania join the coalition, both as a defense but also because I have in mind to invade Ukraine which is very weak since it has already started 3 wars and is losing all!
      After Romania, England also joined the coalition! So now I have formed a coalition of 3 nations. Let's hope no one goes inactive.

Buildings:
      I started to build industries and recruiting offices, I've already almost reached the number 2 industry in some cities! While in others I got to industry 1 and recruiting office under construction.

I chose to do the naval base because I think the Germans and the Swedes could bomb me on Gdansk with a cruiser, so if I can I want to do 1 cruiser and 1 submarine tomorrow. Tell me if you think I'm doing well

production: I have produced an artillery, an anti-tank, and that's it at the moment! But I think I'll make another one each at least before tomorrow morning!

Germany, even if its player is not of the highest level, has already conquered the Netherlands, Denmark, and almost all of the Czech Republic. I think they will attack me soon, so I thought to build some fortifications on the border and produce 2 armored cars !
      I think tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow he will attack me! Either me or France, but I think me because France player is kind of level 1!

That's why I'm undecided whether to attack Ukraine or not! I wanted to take Kiev and Odessa and leave the rest to Romania, but Romania attacks very badly! They have already lost 2 infantry and an armored personnel carrier!

I think that if I survive the first 4 or 5 days, with the economy I'm building, I think it will be much easier!
      don't build recruit station at first days
    • If you are building 1 of this and 1 of that, then you probably either don't have enough of you don't need any at all. You're just paying to research things you don't need.

What do you really need to achieve your military goals? Build that, only. And build a lot of it.
    • I understand that you have also built several production buildings that you're not using yet. The first level finishes in 30m though, so it is easy to build them when you actually start producing units. When you build them sooner you may find you have just parked resources in a building that you could have used elsewhere, or even worse, in a building you're not going to use at all (or even worse than that, your decision on what units to build is based on what production buildings you have).
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Undaunted wrote:

Bombo wrote:

Hi boys!

Policy:

Buildings:

Why not? Because you don't usually lack manpower early game?

Also, if someone can teach me how to do single quotes, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
      "An army is a team. Lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." George S. Patton
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

Bombo wrote:

I chose the map "Europe, 22 team clash of nations" because it is the shortest one, and as my first "history report" in this forum on my experience as a player it seemed better to start like this.
      Are you actually doing this for history in school, or is that an analogy?
      history report is in “”
      知己知彼,百战不殆
      :00010164: :00008172: :00002178: :00002047: :00000156: :00010180: :00010317:
    • Per5eu5 wrote:

Why not? Because you don't usually lack manpower early game?
      Getting MP up early would be helpful, but there are usually better priorities at the start like Industry, research and troops that should be focused on. That said, since MP often ends up being the limiting factor, building recruiting stations earlier would probably be helpful, just like building Industry early.
    • Hi boys!
      In the meantime, I want to apologize for my English, as I told you in the previous post, I'm Italian, so I'm making a huge effort, and I'd be lying to you if I don't use google translate!

Then.
      I was busy yesterday and didn't find time to write.
      Now I'll update you about day 2 and then 3 today.

Day 2 and 3:
      I withdraw the offensive towards the Ukraine to better defend myself against a possible German invasion. I decide to attack Lithuania, I conquer it easily! So I also raises the morale of the provinces!
      I prepare the defensive/offensive against Germany. The Germans attack all nearby bot nations, so I realize that after they are done it will be my turn!
      I research rocket artillery and produce it, I also produce anti-tank and armored personnel carriers|
      Eventually I invade Germany, conquer a region easily, then almost to the border with Berlin and notice that Germany was bringing an artillery towards it along with light tanks and infantry, I attack and destroy them!
      A few hours after entering the third game day I occupy Berlin.

Other armies of mine, advancing towards Prague conquered by the Germans, I just occupied it a little while ago!

I made a defensive error however and I lost Gdansk, serious loss, I had placed an infantry and an anti-aircraft in Gdansk, I was convinced I had at least 2 infantry, instead I had seen it wrong... he attacks me with three infantry and the has conquest! now I am preparing the defense and building a fortification in the Ledz region near Warsaw.
      I think he will head with the 3 infantry towards Warsaw, it will be easy to destroy them and leave to take back Danzig!

This is what happened between day 2 and 3!

I hope to be able to update you tonight with good news and in a better way!! :D
    • Undaunted wrote:

Bombo wrote:

Hi boys!

Policy:

Buildings:

This could possibly be the worst advice I've seen in a while. Please do not follow it. Yes, Comintern get reduced build costs, but getting one RC up to lvl 2 before the end of the first day and up to lvl 3 on the second day should always be a top priority. This will give you the manpower you need in the mid-game to upgrade key units. Otherwise you'll be in a tough spot around day 4-5.

z00mz00m wrote:

jubjub bird wrote:

Some thoughts:
      Excellent points. On coalitions: players who form coalitions on day 1 are my first targets. The smart, dangerous players keep quiet. They grow strong (by taking their neighbors) and form coalitions later, usually after day 6 or day 8. By then, it's also obvious if you *need* coalition, or if you're better off going for a solo win.

This is advice worth following. Often you can solve this issue with diplomacy. Reach out to the perspective partner. Let them know you delay forming/joining coalitions until you know who the key players are. It's worth asking them to prove themselves by attacking in a direction and that will allow you to secure your border. You can do map share and that will give you the peace of mind of knowing they won't attack you because you can see their movements. However, be cautious because with map share, they could give your troop locations and compositions to others if they think another coalition is stronger. You certainly don't want that.

Geographic allies can be valuable and I've partnered with these players on occasion based on circumstances. Especially if it puts you in striking range of other target's core by passing through your geographic ally's lands, you can often catch your new opponent by surprise. Just make sure they don't have map share with your target. A few games ago I did this, but it turned out to be a lot of work. Once the noob realized I wasn't golding and knew what I was doing, they asked a lot of questions trying to understand my strategy and basic game mechanics. It was a bit more work than I expected!
    • 6thDragon wrote:

Undaunted wrote:

Bombo wrote:

Hi boys!

Policy:

Buildings:

This could possibly be the worst advice I've seen in a while. Please do not follow it. Yes, Comintern get reduced build costs, but getting one RC up to lvl 2 before the end of the first day and up to lvl 3 on the second day should always be a top priority. This will give you the manpower you need in the mid-game to upgrade key units. Otherwise you'll be in a tough spot around day 4-5.

z00mz00m wrote:

jubjub bird wrote:

Some thoughts:
      This is advice worth following. Often you can solve this issue with diplomacy. Reach out to the perspective partner. Let them know you delay forming/joining coalitions until you know who the key players are. It's worth asking them to prove themselves by attacking in a direction and that will allow you to secure your border. You can do map share and that will give you the peace of mind of knowing they won't attack you because you can see their movements. However, be cautious because with map share, they could give your troop locations and compositions to others if they think another coalition is stronger. You certainly don't want that.

Geographic allies can be valuable and I've partnered with these players on occasion based on circumstances. Especially if it puts you in striking range of other target's core by passing through your geographic ally's lands, you can often catch your new opponent by surprise. Just make sure they don't have map share with your target. A few games ago I did this, but it turned out to be a lot of work. Once the noob realized I wasn't golding and knew what I was doing, they asked a lot of questions trying to understand my strategy and basic game mechanics. It was a bit more work than I expected!
      LOL when will he build to factories at cities ?? if he will build recruit stations how he will produce artillery

this was worst comment I have ever seen

yes give all of them share map to die quickly
    • Undaunted wrote:

LOL when will he build to factories at cities ?? if he will build recruit stations how he will produce artillery

I would recommend he build these on day one as well. You do realize there are resources on rural provinces and you can build rural industry that has the same return on investment until lvl 3 right?

Also any level one troop production building takes about 30 minutes to build. That's not really a long time in the grand scheme of things. Anything that can be researched before the RC or industry is built, should have the corresponding troop production building built first. Things like secret labs, can probably wait due to the time it takes to research rocket artillery. Depends on the type of military you want to build first, it's situational. You really shouldn't be building one of each type of troop production building in every city; usually just once per city and branch will do.

It's situational, but often a good idea to identify two resources and build rural industry on those so you can focus on building recruiting centers in the cities that have these resources. You'll need to pick ones that aren't close to a border that could conceivably be hostile. Because if you build industry on it, you'll need to defend it instead of just allowing it to function as a buffer. Looking at Poland on the 22 player map, I would recommend Lubin for rare materials and Kielce for iron. Both are not border provinces.

If he wanted to build less industry on day one, he could always skip building one on rare material and just attack Lithuania and use the rare materials he gets from looting. Again, it's very situational.

The post was edited 2 times, last by 6thDragon ().

• 6thDragon wrote:

Undaunted wrote:

I would recommend he build these on day one as well. You do realize there are resources on rural provinces and you can build rural industry that has the same return on investment until lvl 3 right?

Also any level one troop production building takes about 30 minutes to build. That's not really a long time in the grand scheme of things. Anything that can be researched before the RC or industry is built, should have the corresponding troop production building built first. Things like secret labs, can probably wait due to the time it takes to research rocket artillery. Depends on the type of military you want to build first, it's situational. You really shouldn't be building one of each type of troop production building in every city; usually just once per city and branch will do.

It's situational, but often a good idea to identify two resources and build rural industry on those so you can focus on building recruiting centers in the cities that have these resources. You'll need to pick ones that aren't close to a border that could conceivably be hostile. Because if you build industry on it, you'll need to defend it instead of just allowing it to function as a buffer. Looking at Poland on the 22 player map, I would recommend Lubin for rare materials and Kielce for iron. Both are not border provinces.

If he wanted to build less industry on day one, he could always skip building one on rare material and just attack Lithuania and use the rare materials he gets from looting. Again, it's very situational.
      bad suggestion , at the beginning you need to defend 5 cities , if you build factories at rural provinces this number will increase , and going rural factories will be bad at the future if we talk about investment , one artillery needs 1.2k goods rec center wants 1k goods , going recruit and factory at the same time is not a good idea , artillery is more important