Tutorial Maps

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tutorial Maps

I joined a tutorial map by accident a month ago and am still mildly bothered by it. I thought only the 22 player map was the tutorial, but I guess the 50 player Homefront map is too.

There should be a level limit for tutorial maps. For instance, if you're level 80 or above, you shouldn't be able to join a map with first time players. I'm not sure where to draw the line, frankly I've seen a lot of high level players that still apparently have a lot to learn about game mechanics and strategy. I've never been impressed with level alone but at a point new players should only be on maps with others who are relatively new themselves. Yes, I realize there is still the risk a new player will spend a lot of gold to ensure they don't have to compete on a level playing field, but experienced players should not be on these maps too. I also realize plenty of players delete their accounts and return to the game at some point in the future forcing them to play another tutorial map and some players create new accounts for better stats. Bytro needs to convert first time players into regular players and I don't think having highly experience players preying on their inexperience is the best way to go. Essentially, they need a safer map to learn the game on.
    • 6thDragon wrote:

I joined a tutorial map by accident a month ago and am still mildly bothered by it. I thought only the 22 player map was the tutorial, but I guess the 50 player Homefront map is too.

There should be a level limit for tutorial maps. For instance, if you're level 80 or above, you shouldn't be able to join a map with first time players. I'm not sure where to draw the line, frankly I've seen a lot of high level players that still apparently have a lot to learn about game mechanics and strategy. I've never been impressed with level alone but at a point new players should only be on maps with others who are relatively new themselves. Yes, I realize there is still the risk a new player will spend a lot of gold to ensure they don't have to compete on a level playing field, but experienced players should not be on these maps too. I also realize plenty of players delete their accounts and return to the game at some point in the future forcing them to play another tutorial map and some players create new accounts for better stats. Bytro needs to convert first time players into regular players and I don't think having highly experience players preying on their inexperience is the best way to go. Essentially, they need a safer map to learn the game on.
      I played my first match as GR and Germany as a lvl 121, i agree with the starter limit, but then how could anyone play a 22 map? new players are constantly streaming in, so any game with a new player can't have lvl 80 or above? if anything it should be 40 or above, so higher levels aren't being declined the access to some games.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - callofwar.com/index.php?id=279
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • cycle9 wrote:

A simpler approach is to make some games that only new players must join, and no one else can join.
      There should also be more games with higher level requirements; 20, 40, 60, 80. The max now is only
      11, which can be achieved in one game!
      The only issue with this is that the noobs won't be able to benefit from the instruction of more experienced players are easily.
      Mind you I guess they can always learn in the next game they play.
      The fate of the Empire depends on this battle; let each man do his utmost.
      — Tōgō Heihachirō, Battle of Tsushima

England expects that every man will do his duty.
      — Admiral Horatio Nelson, Battle of Trafalgar

Mon centre cède, ma droite recule; situation excellente, j'attaque.
      — Marshal Foch, Battle of the Marne

Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • 6thDragon wrote:

here should be a level limit for tutorial maps. For instance, if you're level 80 or above, you shouldn't be able to join a map with first time players. I'm not sure where to draw the line, frankly I've seen a lot of high level players that still apparently have a lot to learn about game mechanics and strategy. I've never been impressed with level alone but at a point new players should only be on maps with others who are relatively new themselves.
      Agreed. It's not uncommon to see lvl. 120s with appalling K/D and C/L ratios who mostly join Clash of Nations maps for this purpose. This modification would prevent grinders.
      That said, there should be separate tutorial maps I think, but still have Europe:Clash of Nations and especially America:Homefront maps for the rest of us
      The fate of the Empire depends on this battle; let each man do his utmost.
      — Tōgō Heihachirō, Battle of Tsushima

England expects that every man will do his duty.
      — Admiral Horatio Nelson, Battle of Trafalgar

Mon centre cède, ma droite recule; situation excellente, j'attaque.
      — Marshal Foch, Battle of the Marne

Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • New

6thDragon wrote:

I think or lets say thought so as well. That's why we AB tested this some years ago, because we also thought that it is a good idea to have Tutorial matches only for new players. But surprisingly the result was the opposite: Players who played together with veteran players performed better in the test, and they didn't even quit earlier. That is why we never released this maximum rank for Tutorial maps. But perhaps a re-test of this is due because things can change over the years.

cycle9 wrote:

The max now is only 11, which can be achieved in one game!
      Slight correction: The highest one actually was the Tournament Island map (lvl 25 I think), but we removed that one. Nowadays the map with the highest min Rank is Dominion: Antarctica with lvl19. The Historical World map has lvl17.