Strength of air units on ground

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Strength of air units on ground

When air units are on the ground, how strong are they? An interceptor on the ground can't possibly defend against enemy planes...right?

What I'm trying to figure out is: If I use a rocket to bombard a city with 20 air units stationed there, will the air units resist a lot of damage? I know that rockets can't be shot down, but the stack I'm trying to hit has a total of 52.5 defense against air targets. Here comes the question...planes shouldn't deal full damage if they are not flying. Are they as weak as a convoy when they are on the ground (on an aircraft factory/airstrip)? :wallbash
      "An army is a team. Lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." George S. Patton
    • Air units on the ground located at an functioning airstrip have the same stats they do when in the air, including their normal HP. So if bombers attacked enemy interceptors idling at an functioning airstrip, they would defend as if they were attacked with the same stats they have in the air.

Only refueling air units have the stats of a convoy (and when air units are not located at a functioning airstrip).
      Officer of The Golden Spire (March 2021 - April 2022)
      Secretary of the Secretary of Nova0213
    • not unrealistic, the assumption is that fully fueled and armed air planes at a functional air field will scramble to their defense before the enemy air hits. this could be made clearer, if an animation were added to show the air planes
      taking off.
      another problem with this mechanic: planes do NOT scramble if under a ranged attack!
    • cycle9 wrote:

not unrealistic, the assumption is that fully fueled and armed air planes at a functional air field will scramble to their defense before the enemy air hits. this could be made clearer, if an animation were added to show the air planes
      taking off.
      another problem with this mechanic: planes do NOT scramble if under a ranged attack!
      I thought it was unrealistic because I was imagining planes firing up in the sky while on the ground, like AA guns but less flexible. It's not quite possible either, cause the machine guns mounted on a typical fighter or bomber cannot aim vertical upwards.

You are right. Would be cooler if the game actually showed an animation of the planes reacting to an attack (when on the ground).
      "An army is a team. Lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." George S. Patton
    • So,essentially, you're suggesting that all air units attack when an enemy gets close enough and is going to attack? this is a horrible idea, you could send 1 fighter to draw them out and send in a strat stack and destroy the airfield. which is even more unrealistic.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • cycle9 wrote:

Try this, let us know how it works.
      My bet is the air units will defend against both the one fighter and the strat bombers.
      You said to show them taking off, if they take off from the airfield how do they defend from the strat's, your not getting what i'm saying, so im not going to say it. the way it is is fine. we don't need to change it. it is NOT confusing in any way, infact it might even make more problems for the game devs.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • My suggestion would be to make air units as weak as convoys whenever they are on the ground. Makes them more vulnerable when they haven't taken off. Makes more sense that way.
    • Per5eu5 wrote:

My suggestion would be to make air units as weak as convoys whenever they are on the ground. Makes them more vulnerable when they haven't taken off. Makes more sense that way.
      So if a plane was just produced and put onto the airfield it would be in a truck but if 2 seconds later you need it and it transforms into a able-plane? that makes less sense, there is nothing wrong with the current system, and not to be rude, but nothing you say will affect the outcome of these specific units, i think that the current system is balanced and extremely fair in how it is done. As Freezy has said, i am roughly paraphrasing, he doesn't want something like a single Light Tank to take out an entire stack of planes.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.