Cease Fire: What is it good for?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cease Fire: What is it good for?

Yes, I know the subject of this thread sounds like the famous anti-war song.

I can't remember ever using this. I'll admit making peace in a war game usually isn't my thing so I'm probably just not seeing the applicability or wrapping my head around a nuance. I recently tried using it, but it didn't accomplish what I wanted it to. At the end of a grueling AvA game, one of my units was locked in melee with an enemy when they formally conceded the match. In the interest of keeping the unit to conquer territory and officially end the game, I offered cease fire, but the units weren't willing to stop fighting. Then I offered Peace and that didn't work either. I guess when two units are locked in melee, the only way one of them will live is if the game completely ends before combat does.

Going back to the Cease Fire, the description reads "This relation is only available for nations with whom you are at war. This allows you to temporarily end automated attacks while still having the other nation marked as enemy on the map."

Is this so you can conquer territory and they can put to sea and if your melee units colide they won't attack each other?
    • You make valid points about the Ceasefire relation, i don't think it is really useful at all, other than getting your troops out of battle at the same time your enemy does, but other than that it is just peace.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • 6thDragon wrote:

I guess when two units are locked in melee, the only way one of them will live is if the game completely ends before combat does.
      I guess if you did a mutual Row they might stop melee but not sure. From what Blauer said above it sound like cease fire might be equivalent to setting all your ranged units on "Hold Fire" with regard to the other country.
    • DxC wrote:

6thDragon wrote:

I guess when two units are locked in melee, the only way one of them will live is if the game completely ends before combat does.
      I guess if you did a mutual Row they might stop melee but not sure. From what Blauer said above it sound like cease fire might be equivalent to setting all your ranged units on "Hold Fire" with regard to the other country.
      Good point, I forgot about ROW or Map Share, but technically that wasn't an option in my situation. In team games, you cannot have either of those relationships with members of the other team.
    • Declaring on one country (human or AI) also has an effect on the reputation you have all over the AI community - they're all friends, you know ;)
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I wonder what the reputation breakpoint is when the AI consider you a friend vs foe. For example, if you declare on a human whose reputation with an AI is < 50% does that make the AI raise or lower your reputation. Except for perhaps the first half of a game I'd expect most humans to have lowish reputation with most AI and it would seem declaring on a human would benefit you.
    • It depends... there's popular humans (those who never declared on others) and impopular one (hyper-expansionists) as well.

You can see the effect of your actions on the profile page of the countries btw; there's a "your reputation with them" somewhere over there. I never bothered to figure out the effects of various actions myself, but feel free)))
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.