Attacker vs Defender Combat bug

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Attacker vs Defender Combat bug

So I am once again here posting because I find that the game is having issues determining which unit is the attacker and which is the defender. My Infantry unit was stationary awaiting an AI enemy Infantry unit to disembark and move to attack Valencia, a city I had captured a few hours earlier. Yet even tho my unit was stationary and therefore should be the DEFENDER upon checking the progress of the combat I was quite surprised to find my Infantry almost dead in less than 30 minutes of combat.
      The Spanish unit shows it is in combat and being attacked by my infantry unit. This is not what it should be as I had the unit in place 30+ minutes before the Spanish unit had even finished disembarking. The result of the combat is also reversed as the defender should have taken LESS damage than the attacker in a 1v1 Infantry combat of the same level. Yet
      So the game is OBVIOUSLY reversing the attacker and defender roles.
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • That's weird, I just completed a game and didn't find any problems with the new functionality, it occured several times. Maybe something else is in play here?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I don't think it's reversing the attacker/defender roles. It looks from the screenshots that both are attacking and both defending, and the Spanish infantry should be winning a two-way battle due to the homeland bonus. The timers look equal as far as I can tell, so they both started attacking at contact.

As KR said, the recent update should have fixed this behavior, so your stationary unit should be defending only, not attacking. Strange.
    • The Lighting bolt in each screen shot shows what unit they are in combat with while the <⚡ shows which unit is attacking. This is clearly a reversed order of attacker and defender. Also

jubjub bird wrote:

and the Spanish infantry should be winning a two-way battle due to the homeland bonus
      would not apply as they were NOT fighting in their city as I had captured it hours before as I said and you can see as the province color is yellow not the red of an enemy province.

I lost the combat in 1 hour of combat and was forced to produce another infantry using 900 gold (which I would not use under normal circumstances)
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • jubjub bird wrote:

I believe homeland bonuses apply regardless of province ownership.
      Not according to my observations.

But it's axis vs allies so there is that. Also, for two defense preferring units that are attacking each other, the one that takes the first "swing" is at a disadvantage. More to the point, if your unit was stationary then according to the recent release notes, it should not have attacked. They might have to work out some kinks.

The post was edited 1 time, last by DxC ().

• DxC wrote:

jubjub bird wrote:

Not according to my observations.
      Are you sure? I was fairly certain it was tied to the Core Province ownership. Unfortunately I don't have a game to test it on right now.

The wiki implies as much, though it's been wrong before:

The calculated damage is reduced before being applied to the receiving army, if one of the following criteria is met:
      • The target army is standing in a province center where friendly fortifications or bunkers exist.
        • The amount of damage reduction depends on the building level and increases per level.
      • The target army is fighting in its own core provinces, which triggers the Home Defence bonus.
        • The Home Defence bonus grants the army a 15% bonus in damage reduction, in addition to a 15% bonus in damage potential.

The post was edited 3 times, last by jubjub bird ().

• Looking at the screenshots above, the Axis infantry still has pretty high stats. Can someone check L1 Axis Infantry stats to determine whether those have a 15% homeland boost?

Its at almost exactly 50% health and has 3.1/4.7 against unarmored with a 50% terrain boost.

Related, didn't someone make a site where you can look up unit stats? That would be handy in a situation like this.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

Can someone check L1 Axis Infantry stats to determine whether those have a 15% homeland boost?
      Btw jubjub, this is fairly easy to figure out using dxcalc. Just have your unit with the appropriate info attack a target of the appropriate armor type and set max rounds to 1. Then look at how much damage the defender took. This is the attack damage potential of the attacker. Be sure that the defender isn't in a bunker or in core province or that will give the wrong attack potential of the attacker.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

The Homeland bonus does NOT apply unless the province belongs to that nation, just like fortifications only work for the nation that owns the province. You can see it for yourself in the screenshots above under that status heading on the unit popup at the bottom there is a Castle tower and both show 0%, if any units had any type of Defense bonus it would show there. Just so you can see for yourself and confirm 100% what DxC said.

DxC I am wondering if you would be willing to post the results of a combat between both units at 100% HP with Spain defending and UK attacking and then reverse it. The screenshots above are taken after the 1st combat turn, so I am wondering if the calc would show the same HP after 1 round of combat with UK actually defending or it shows what I believe that the game reversed the attacker defender roles.

• S Schmidt wrote:

DxC I am wondering if you would be willing to post the results of a combat between both units at 100% HP with Spain defending and UK attacking and then reverse it.
      If they both started at full HP and UK does not attack then UK loses about 5.18 HP (34.5%). Even with many simulations of +/-20% the most UK would lose is about 40% HP. The most likely scenario here is that they both attacked in the first round and UK struck before Spain. In this scenario Spain loses 78.9% HP on average but it can go over 90% when adding randomness.
    • I got a case of wrong behavior now as well. An AC standing on a road in enemy territory, waiting for more troops to clear the defenderes. The defenders (2 inf) start to move now as well, not heading for the unit I think, but for my prov behind it. When they meet my AC (standing still on the road) a battle develops of course, but now I am attacking them as well.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.