URGENT! Question about bombing an airfield with units on it.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• URGENT! Question about bombing an airfield with units on it.

He has a level 1 airfield. 50+ air force with 40 units on it, with the units consisting of about 1000 hp. My question is, if I bomb his air field with 3 groups of 10 level 2 bombers, will it destroy the air field or only damage the units?
    • Both. You will damage the units and the airfield. A level 1 airfield will probably become inoperable after the first attack, turning their planes into convoys.

If you are going to patrol instead of direct attack:
      - if you want to damage the airfield, make sure your airplanes' dot is in the province and the patrol circle includes the airfield province center
      - if you want to avoid damaging the airfield, make sure your airplanes' dot is in a neighboring province and the patrol circle includes the airfield province center
    • I think a lot of players when doing the damage calculation forget about #2, the 20% +/- random factor applied to the damage dealt. From the wiki.
      The combat calculation always follows these steps:
      1. Sum up the damage potential of the army against each armor class.
      2. Increase or reduce damage value with a random factor between -20% and +20%.
      3. Lower the damage potential based on the army's damage efficiency.
      4. Deal out damage value to enemy army (the order depends on the combat type).
      5. Reduce the received damage value based on the enemy army's protection value.
      6. Distribute reduced damage value to units in enemy army based on army composition.
      7. Reduce hitpoints of units or destroy units based on amount of distributed damage.
    • DxC wrote:

jubjub bird wrote:

if you want to avoid damaging the airfield, make sure your airplanes' dot is in a neighboring province and the patrol circle includes the airfield province center
      Jub is it 100% certain patrols don't do building damage unless their dot is in the province?
      they do, i use that often
      "Si crees que esto tendrá un final feliz, es que no has estado prestando atención"
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Whatever is in the big blue patrol circle will be attacked, taking damage and giving damage back to the patrolling unit.

The center on the patrol circle, the small blue dot, is irrelevant.
      But jub was talking specifically about damaging units while avoiding damaging buildings by keeping the center of the patrol circle outside of the province border. I was questioning his certainty about that. Do you know anything about that specific behavior?
    • Good to know. It isn't actually that surprising. Building damage is completely independent from troop damage. Since a patrol is usually covering more than one province, it has to pick one of them to target, so it makes sense to pick the center of the patrol. In principle they could randomly choose one, but the center point is a cleaner solution. I suppose this also means that if a patrol is covering only one province including it's center, but the patrol center is in the sea, then it won't damage buildings. That one might be worth testing though.
    • Correct, putting the patrol center / red dot outside the province borders means no damage to buildings, and that includes when the patrol center is over water (lakes included). I've tested that one too.

Maybe giving too much away here, but the patrol center is also what determines whether your planes get homeland bonuses, so make of that what you will.
    • Something I just tested and figured I'd report here, as it's tangentially related to this topic: attacking with a nuke leaves non-targeted provinces unharmed even if they're in the 50km radius, so, similarly to a patrolling plane, a direct nuke attack can't destroy buildings in multiple provinces at once.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

Both. You will damage the units and the airfield. A level 1 airfield will probably become inoperable after the first attack, turning their planes into convoys.

If you are going to patrol instead of direct attack:
      - if you want to damage the airfield, make sure your airplanes' dot is in the province and the patrol circle includes the airfield province center
      - if you want to avoid damaging the airfield, make sure your airplanes' dot is in a neighboring province and the patrol circle includes the airfield province center
      I tested this in my last game and it works as advertised. I had a capital I was saving for just before day change to manage morale. I set an infantry right on the edge of the city and had two stacks of 10 leveled tac bombers patrolling overhead. I set the patrol so the blue dot/center was over my territory, but the patrol was over the city in case any new units appeared. It sat this way overnight and when I woke up, the city still had the morale and buildings it did when I went to bed.

Thanks for the tip!