The Importance of Upgrading Troops and their Composition.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Importance of Upgrading Troops and their Composition.

I am going to go over,how,when and why you should upgrade troops, and how you should build upgraded stacks.

You should start upgrading troops once you have a good bit of land and decent production, never when you are in a war that is still decisive, as researching the upgrade makes those units, and their facilities(to enhance building of such) more expensive, hence you hurt your war economy.

You should only upgrade units in the 3/5ths health or higher, otherwise the materials are wasted, large, damaged stacks are an exception, they can be deadly, more so when upgraded.

you may think, why should i even upgrade units? well, it really depends on what you are centered around, but infantry are a go-to upgraded unit, which can be reliable and versatile in the grounds of defense. i will explain more below.

Stacks and their Composition: how should it be done?

Melee Stacks, Often you should have at least 1 SPAA with melee stacks, to slightly deter the enemy Airforce. (if one is existant) Usually, for speed and decent versatility, go for Motorized Infantry and Light Tanks, these counter your only 2 real foes, Infantry and Armor, while you may not be able to take on a stack of upgraded Heavies or Meds, with Airforce supporting you, you are almost sure to get through enemies.

Ranged Stacks, depending on what you want, SP Artillery and SPRA are a good follow up to your main stacks, you should almost ALWAYS have some form of AA with support stacks, especially since Attack and Tactical Bombers do decent damage against Light Armor (Tactical -> Infantry|Attack -> Heavy Armor) so exceeding the 10/10 stacking suggestion is recommended.

Naval Stacks, Usually, 4 Cruisers, 3 Destroyers and 3 Battleships is the best balanced 10 stack you could get, especially upgraded, stacks like these are deadly, while it may not hold up to a stack of Subs, it is a good early Stack, you should be constantly upgrading Naval units, or a smaller force could easily wipe yours out, especially Destroyers, those are first priority upgrade, so Subs cannot wipe you up as easily.

Air Stacks, These often vary on your opponent, so none of these are 100% accurate to what you might need. Early on, Stacks(10) of 4 Tactical Bombers, 3 Attack and 3 Interceptors are awfully effective against almost all enemies, and also are defended, which makes it that much harder to bring down, upgraded, they can be horrific, which is usually what is needed to bring around an end. stacks that exceed the 10/10 limit are usually crammed with Interceptors and high level planes, these are the flying menaces of the sky, the only option to really defeat stacks like these are a few rockets to the Airport, and hope to god they don't relocate. but if you are the owner of a flying menace, make sure to have a lot of airports scattered around, to make sure your units are not rocketed then rushed. ( @_Pyth0n_ Helped Develop This)

Why you should upgrade units: the reasoning is simple, less effective units are easily wiped out by statically better units, and Upgrading can increase the speed of some units, thus adding to your advantage of a fast strike, if that is your goal, upgrading things to the third upgrade should be minimum if you are actually committing to it.

This is generalized, this works for all Doctrines with a similar effect, excluding Axis, which could go without as many supports in any branch of the forces.

I know there are things i have missed, probabilities and maybes, but i'm not writing this to look into that.

Overall, build stacks that can combat Armor and Infantry, as both could be your opposition, build a good navy, if needed, and always have Support units to clean up lost battles or support ongoing ones.

(More may be added soon)
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Fox-Company ().

• Nice guide ^^

Add stuff about planes; early game 5/5/5 stacks are killer, and 10/10/10 stacks are downright ugly.

Also slight criticism; in theory, all these sound good, but practically, doctrine and your core resources matter a whole lot more, especially early game and mid game. These stacks only occur mid to late game.

Again in naval vs naval battles convoys are OP: stack them with your fighting fleets and you can double the stack's HP for the cheap cost of 10 militia that you had no use for (altho militia is kinda OP in of itself with it's stealth, maybe don't waste it for the convoy tactics)

Again meat shields can stop any combination of troops used correctly; speed can never beat a meat shield with good artillery

Fox-Company wrote:

Why you should upgrade units: the reasoning is simple, less effective units are easily wiped out by statically better units, and Upgrading can increase the speed of some units, thus adding to your advantage of a fast strike, if that is your goal, upgrading things to the third upgrade should be minimum if you are actually committing to it.
      Not sure exactly what you mean (I think you're saying if you are gonna consistently use a unit, get it to at least lvl 3), but another (and overall more practical) reason why you should skip a level (or multiple) each time you upgrade; it's wayyyyy cheaper and saves time.

Guess I just made a semi tips and tricks of CoW lol
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

Nice guide ^^

Add stuff about planes; early game 5/5/5 stacks are killer, and 10/10/10 stacks are downright ugly.

Also slight criticism; in theory, all these sound good, but practically, doctrine and your core resources matter a whole lot more, especially early game and mid game. These stacks only occur mid to late game.

Again in naval vs naval battles convoys are OP: stack them with your fighting fleets and you can double the stack's HP for the cheap cost of 10 militia that you had no use for (altho militia is kinda OP in of itself with it's stealth, maybe don't waste it for the convoy tactics)

Again meat shields can stop any combination of troops used correctly; speed can never beat a meat shield with good artillery

Fox-Company wrote:

Not sure exactly what you mean (I think you're saying if you are gonna consistently use a unit, get it to at least lvl 3), but another (and overall more practical) reason why you should skip a level (or multiple) each time you upgrade; it's wayyyyy cheaper and saves time.
      Guess I just made a semi tips and tricks of CoW lol
      These are all very helpful tips as well, this was kinda made on the fly, and i do not deny anything you have said.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • You (Fox-Company) mentioned combining Motorized Infantry and Light Tanks, along with air support to better deal with enemy armor.

I'm hoping you (and anyone else) would share your thoughts on upgraded A/C compared to Light Tanks. They both seem fairly effective against light armor, and both seem similarly less effective against medium armor. So, given the greater viewing range and speed of Armored Cars, I'm tempted to invest in them rather than Light Tanks.

And I'm in doubt whether to invest in Medium Tanks at all. Or when to invest in them... perhaps later in the game?
    • Kolonnos wrote:

You (Fox-Company) mentioned combining Motorized Infantry and Light Tanks, along with air support to better deal with enemy armor.

I'm hoping you (and anyone else) would share your thoughts on upgraded A/C compared to Light Tanks. They both seem fairly effective against light armor, and both seem similarly less effective against medium armor. So, given the greater viewing range and speed of Armored Cars, I'm tempted to invest in them rather than Light Tanks.

And I'm in doubt whether to invest in Medium Tanks at all. Or when to invest in them... perhaps later in the game?
      Medium tanks are essentially your "Hold Your Ground" Unit, decent speed, good health and good damage and defense, and are preferred because they take less damage than Light Armor units, the reason behind LT's is that they do more damage to everything except Infantry, thats what the Mot. Inf is for. AC's are for more Light Armor/Infantry opponents, so feel free to use AC's in place of LT's.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

ACs are superior to LTs in most game situations. TDs are superior to MTs in most game situations.
      Lets try that out, 10 lvl 1 AC's vs 10 lvl 1 LT's, the winner is quite obvious.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

I don't mean superior as in they win head-to-head. I mean superior as in they have more value.
      Yes, the range and all, but having at least 1 AC with your units is common sense.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Yes, and keeping them upgraded for speed and scouting purposes. Light tanks consume the same resources but are worse against infantry and don't provide the same scouting ability, and the one thing light tanks do well (attacking light armor) is done better by medium tanks, tank destroyers, attack bombers, artillery...

Ironically the best use case for LTs is beating armored cars, a light armor unit with weak defense against other light armor. That use case is not worth investing in them vs just investing in ACs.
    • DxC wrote:

Kolonnos wrote:

combining Motorized Infantry and Light Tanks
      It depends on your play style, but for maximum efficiency many experienced players rely mainly on artillery for offensive damage and melee units are mostly defensive. Thus mot inf and LT's aren't normally researched.
      Sadly, because it is a good, and fast, combo.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • DxC wrote:

Kolonnos wrote:

combining Motorized Infantry and Light Tanks
      It depends on your play style, but for maximum efficiency many experienced players rely mainly on artillery for offensive damage and melee units are mostly defensive. Thus mot inf and LT's aren't normally researched.
      I use mot inf and LT all the time, especially when blitzing inactives or against an opponent who isn’t using heavy armor. Making sure to accompany them with air support of course.
      “A battle fought without determination is a battle lost.” - Josip Broz Tito
    • I for one use motorized infantry and armored cars in early game. Most of the targets are unarmored, one units excels in attacking them, the other on defending against them.

The bonus of the light tank becomes irrelevant with the arrival of the medium tank, which is a heavy armor target. Yes, the light tank is faster and cheaper, but it is easily compensated by the medium tank's strudiness and differrent armor class.

If one goes for a MI+LT combo, it is easily defeated even with tactical bombers and spamming militias. If one uses MI+MT instead, it is much harder to defeat, because tactical bombers are quite weak against MTs. The defender will need ATs or TDs or attack bombers.

Also yes, against AIs most of the damage should be done by NGFS and artillery, but against players, especially experienced, active ones, it is close to impossible. Ordnance foundries usually produce anti- units like anti-aircraft and anti-tank guns, and when one side allows the other to get in range of the coastal cities, it is game over already, because half of the cities are in range of BB bombardment and it is almost impossible to defeat a fleet from the air.
    • Fellenore wrote:

I for one use motorized infantry and armored cars in early game. Most of the targets are unarmored, one units excels in attacking them, the other on defending against them.

The bonus of the light tank becomes irrelevant with the arrival of the medium tank, which is a heavy armor target. Yes, the light tank is faster and cheaper, but it is easily compensated by the medium tank's strudiness and differrent armor class.

If one goes for a MI+LT combo, it is easily defeated even with tactical bombers and spamming militias. If one uses MI+MT instead, it is much harder to defeat, because tactical bombers are quite weak against MTs. The defender will need ATs or TDs or attack bombers.

Also yes, against AIs most of the damage should be done by NGFS and artillery, but against players, especially experienced, active ones, it is close to impossible. Ordnance foundries usually produce anti- units like anti-aircraft and anti-tank guns, and when one side allows the other to get in range of the coastal cities, it is game over already, because half of the cities are in range of BB bombardment and it is almost impossible to defeat a fleet from the air.
      My given example was for Speed, and if you read the whole thing, i even said i was not going to cover everything, this is a base-line of troops stacks.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • For me usage depends quite a bit on doctrine. I especially love making these flying menaces, as no force, planes, ships, land hell even AA can stand up to them when maxed out (as long as you don’t lose your damn airbase!). Planes are just cheesy when used correctly, absolutely a nightmare when you see a 30 stack of high level planes descend upon on you.

And as a Medium Tank apologist I like to spam these out, fact is TDs are slow and get bodied by infantry, while MTs are much more versatile. Although I will use light tanks sometimes, especially in the Pan-Asian doctrine.

I use the three main types of infantry, as they all have their own benefits. Infantry are good for defense, cheap and soak up damage, Mot infantry are like armored cars but more versatile and cheaper, and mech infantry are almost like light tanks, but again, more versatile. Militia are a good idea but it depends on the country and doctrine.

I usually don’t get ordinance, preferring to use planes instead. If you’re active enough you end up not needing arty, even for AI. This is probably the biggest diversion as I don’t get artillery or AA, preferring planes for those jobs. This more importantly allows me to max out the other stuff, which strengthens my country immensely.

For navy I completely agree with Fox, just get a a balanced force of the 3 main ships, sometimes carriers for planes. You may be able to convince me to get subs if I am on the Axis doctrine or something. But in the end the battleship cruiser destroyer combo is pretty unstoppable.

I also get nukes. Nukes are perfect to delete a strong land stack if needed. But perhaps more importantly, an easy way to make a player back down diplomatically, and make your own country seem stronger than it actually is.

Basically I completely agree, with a few differences here are there. This strategy is most importantly versatile, allowing you to combat any type of enemy in some way.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate