Can you save the Ottoman Empire?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can you save the Ottoman Empire?

Greetings, time traveler. You have been sent back to Constantinople at the turn of the 19th century, In the body of Abdul Hamid II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire. Starting from the year 1900, your goal is to steer the Ottoman Empire from its path of collapse to a prosperous and modern, or at least living future.

You are equipped with the Turkish (Ottoman Turkish, of course!) and Arabic language. Your hidden Time Machine has the internet and an advanced computer to allow you to do research. You have temporarily consolidated power as sultan, and can transport your mind to whoever becomes the next leader of the Ottoman Empire if you please.

Using the power of hindsight, you must turn the situation around in a realistic and possible manner. You can not travel forward in time again to see the consequences of your actions. The rest of the world will treat you as they normally would, and there is no way to reveal in a believable way that you come from the future.

The Sublime Porte suffers from its problems of corruption and decentralization. The Ottoman Empire faces issues of ethic and religious strife, a weak military and neighbors wanting to tear the weakening state apart. A weak economy and political ineptitude don’t allow the state to move forward.

Although the empire faces ridiculous odds, you still have some cards in your favor. For one thing, you know about the vast reserves of oil, agriculture and metals hidden in your lands. Your army is still stronger than your smaller neighbors. And of course the power of hindsight allows you to see your enemies, both inside and outs, plans, both military and political.

Using all of this information, can you turn the situation for the better, or even to your favor? It’s up to you. Good luck, my Padishah!

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate

The post was edited 3 times, last by Carking the 6th ().

• Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

The SCP Foundation is after the anomaly that you are using to send people back in time, lol
      As an Apollyon class SCP, I’ll answer with the power of Allah.
      Allah is dead, they looked at 096.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Fox-Company wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

The SCP Foundation is after the anomaly that you are using to send people back in time, lol
      Thats just what they want you to think! Sadly, now we are getting off topic (get it?) so I’d like to know how you can save the Ottoman Empire.

• Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

Thats just what they want you to think! Sadly, now we are getting off topic (get it?) so I’d like to know how you can save the Ottoman Empire.
      Erase Asia-Minor from any known sources and replace it with alot of water and some islands. There is no saving the Ottoman Empire
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Fox-Company wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

Erase Asia-Minor from any known sources and replace it with alot of water and some islands. There is no saving the Ottoman Empire
      “Using the power of hindsight, you must turn the situation around in a realistic and possible manner.“

• Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

“Using the power of hindsight, you must turn the situation around in a realistic and possible manner.“
      Surrender. Boom i saved the Ottoman Empire from itself.

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Isn't it just a question of finding the young Atatürk and set him in motion twenty years earlier, and with Royal support?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • "Absolutly nothing..

Ottoman empires plus austrian were incapable to continue with the rise of the nationalistic movement..

Mohamad ali Pasha the albanian one were about to beat the ottoman in the begining of the 19th century but england wouldnt let france the ally and the supporter of the pasha to enjoy all the benefit of the new born country neither russia would accept strong one in its border and are the one willing to back the second rome and revenge from the ottomans for what they done centuries ago.. Plus they already lost most of the balkan north africa arabia so it was matter of time fot its collapse"
      The Saviour
    • Well my idea was you could use your knowledge of resources such as oil to build a powerful economy over time, and also use foresight to allow you to crush your enemies. Perhaps with the power of reforms and giving up non-muslim lands you could be left with a decent amount of holdings. You could also just steam roll the Balkans in the first Balkan war (now that you can counter all their military plans) and then reform the country to make minorities happy. Multi ethnic empires can exist and the Ottomans lasted centuries. Couldn’t you use knowledge of everything that’s going to happen to turn it around?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Carking the 6th ().

• Carking the 6th wrote:

Well my idea was you could use your knowledge of resources such as oil to build a powerful economy over time, and also use foresight to allow you to crush your enemies. Perhaps with the power of reforms and giving up non-muslim lands you could be left with a decent amount of holdings. You could also just steam roll the Balkans in the first Balkan war (now that you can counter all their military plans) and then reform the country to make minorities happy. Multi ethnic empires can exist and the Ottomans lasted centuries. Couldn’t you knowledge of everything that’s going to happen to turn it around?
      You cannot fix stupid, bad leaders, betrayal, and someone will always want you dead, plus, different events lead to different outcomes, you seem blind to this thought,

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Fox-Company wrote:

You cannot fix stupid, bad leaders, betrayal, and someone will always want you dead, plus, different events lead to different outcomes, you seem blind to this thought,
      When you know all this is going to happen, you can counter act it. You know everyone who wants you dead’s plans, and can easily crush them. In this case you have the ability to pick out the best leaders and replace them. It’s a lot easier when you have a second try, no?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Carking the 6th ().

• Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

When you know all this is going to happen, you can counter act it. You know everyone who wants you dead’s plans, and can easily crush them. In this case you have the ability to pick out the best leaders and replace them. It’s a lot either when you have a second try, no?
      Let me rephrase, so much as 1 soldier having a different conversation because they saw you would change the entire history, plans WILL go differently if ANYONE sees you, you cannot counter-act what has yet to happen because, because of you, its all different! And who knows? History was not 100% accurate, maybe some trustworthy people were actually backstabbers who just succeeded?

Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • Fox-Company wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

When you know all this is going to happen, you can counter act it. You know everyone who wants you dead’s plans, and can easily crush them. In this case you have the ability to pick out the best leaders and replace them. It’s a lot either when you have a second try, no?
      Let me rephrase, so much as 1 soldier having a different conversation because they saw you would change the entire history, plans WILL go differently if ANYONE sees you, you cannot counter-act what has yet to happen because, because of you, its all different! And who knows? History was not 100% accurate, maybe some trustworthy people were actually backstabbers who just succeeded?
      Didn’t think I’d have to try to answer my own prompt lol. You can say that, but in this case I’m assuming you become sultan and history does not change as a result from that, which means you have the choice of allowing history to take its course until you change it. No one knows you are from the future, you are in the body of the sultan, I probably should have emphasized that. You can use this to switch things from the start and set it on a better path. I wouldn’t think that say the Balkan states and Italy would not attack you, or at least invade with different plans just because your country is stronger. Ww1 era countries liked to overestimate themselves, and you have access to more modern military blueprints and tactics. It’s a lot harder to rebel against a country than you’d think either, even if you don’t know their plans. The Arabs had to wait for British support and this was under a weaker and more racist Ottoman Empire than you would start with. This should all come together to make it easier than real life, where the country very well may have lived if it was less racist and didn’t join a major war. And of course you can always just take over the mind of whoever overthrows you and try as them lol.

• K.Rokossovski wrote:

Isn't it just a question of finding the young Atatürk and set him in motion twenty years earlier, and with Royal support?
      That is an option, but wouldn’t it make it harder to keep the country together, since Atatürk was more a of a Turkish nationalist, polarizing minorities? I’d think that the cause of his success was the collapse of the Ottoman Empire. If you want to cause it and rule Turkey though, fine by me lol.