Unit Combat Experience

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unit Combat Experience

Try to imagine a scenario. If you have done something before, even if you had trained and prepared for it, don’t you still think you learned something from doing the thing itself? This is why I suggest that units, who have been in combat and won/survived should have buffs accordingly. The reason why is simple: a force that has fought and combated units is ultimately going to be able to fight better.

On top of this I recommend that a simple unit healing feature is added, though that’s been argued to death. Just allow you to bring units back to their building type and say if a unit is at half health it can heal back to full for half the cost and time due to obvious reasons. This would make it so that these experienced units are more useful and because healing really should be added.

For the buffs it’s more complicated. Perhaps the units can have advantages in damage taken and dealt if they face the same unit or unit type. Maybe the unit gets more health and deals more damage overall. I personally would go with the former as it makes more sense. Now, how much of a boost it would be would depend on how powerful and numerous the forces the units defeated were. A harder fight will teach troops more, and they will learn how to work together to combat threats better.

It would most likely be better to tweak it different for ranged units, since artillery and ships can really only learn how to shoot more accurately, and maybe survive being shelled back. So simply a say increase of 1% for every shot the Artillery launches is probably the best idea. To add to that units that have been shelled repeatedly would probably adapt and learn ways to survive it, so I’d say they should get a -1% reduction in ranged damage every time an artillery or ship bombards it, capping at 50%.
      This would all function the same but separately for planes, but AA units can learn to do more damage to them specifically at they get better at aiming at planes, and buffs work like land units for air to air combat; pilots would learn how to dogfight and dodge other planes better.

For a scenario let’s say an infantry unit level one defeats another infantry unit level one. It should after that gain a 10% damage dealt and taken towards unarmored units, helping it fight them later on. If you heal it and it fights and wins another infantry level one, this time the buff will only be 5% more, and 5% more next time, until it caps and perhaps 50 or 100%. Although perhaps having it later reduce to 3 and 2% may be a good idea? This all obviously will have to be tested to determine what is the most fair and realistic way to implement this.

The thing is that in the long term, units that have fought multiple times shouldn’t be as strong as inexperienced ones. After facing combat multiple times they would have learned tricks to survive and counter enemies, since adaption is a powerful human tactic. This also makes those half health units you put in your back lines or send on suicide attacks more useful, as you can heal them and make them out previous fighting to good use. This all comes together to add some logic and polish to the game, while adding an interesting factor and trick to the game. Please go ahead and write if you have any criticisms questions or additions. Or want to make a quote chain. A great quote chain…

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Something like this could be interesting but it would throw the balance in the opposite direction of what Bytro wants. Bytro wants to balance the game so that less experienced, weaker and less active countries get a relative buff by penalizing expansion etc of more active countries. In contrast, giving active units a buff would cause a "rich get richer" scenario. Giving buffs based on experience has been suggested many times and seems like an interesting idea, but I don't see it being implemented.
    • DxC wrote:

Something like this could be interesting but it would throw the balance in the opposite direction of what Bytro wants. Bytro wants to balance the game so that less experienced, weaker and less active countries get a relative buff by penalizing expansion etc of more active countries. In contrast, giving active units a buff would cause a "rich get richer" scenario. Giving buffs based on experience has been suggested many times and seems like an interesting idea, but I don't see it being implemented.
      I see where you are coming from, but I don’t get why less active players should be rewarded. The point of the game is that a more active player should be rewarded for it. It’s just that it makes more sense that a unit that has fought would improve. More importantly, less active players still can invade countries I myself have launched invasions, went to sleep, and woke up with the country taken over. This all means that those players can still benefit from this too, as long as they play smart.

jubjub bird wrote:

I wouldn't mind some sort of cosmetic change, though. We're already tracking kills by unit/stack, so it'd be cool to visualize that in some way. I don't have a good idea off the top of my head though.
      This along with late game models for the other units is a very good idea. Even if you don’t implement the experience system changes for units that have fought more is a great idea!

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate