How to play France in hww

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• z00mz00m wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

So for a scenario let’s say I am upgrading a stack of ten level level one infantry, and want to get them to level three instead. Let’s assume it takes two hours for them to upgrade to level two. First I make sure I have plenty of resources, enough to upgrade the units by the time I want to. I wait for the research to be an hour from completion. Then I upgrade the units, which will take two hours. In a hour I finish infantry level three research, and in another I have infantry level three rather than two, saving time and resources.
      Exactly right.

You can time your whole army around these upgrade chains. Especially powerful when a unit research arrives early for a doctrine, like Axis subs level 3 on day 4. You can quickly produce a superior force that outclasses anything the enemy can deal with. Use this technology advantage to sink their navy, or shoot down their air force, which can win you the war.
      I’m going to abuse this strategy like none other…

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • I often use this strategy for units you MAY need later in the game, but you're not sure about it. Like interceptors and AA when you haven't identified an enemy using an air force yet, naval bombers or subs when you haven't seen any fleets, AB or AT when there's no heavy armor around. Just build a solid stack of them, at least ten but possibly more, and leave them at level 1. After you have them, keep their tech leveled, but don't upgrade them until you identify a use for them. As soon as you do, and battle is about to start, you upgrade them and you have a high-tech stack available almost immediately. This may be at any stage in the game, and the upgrade can go as high as level 5, I even did it straight to level 6 once (my enemy immediately accused me of coining of course); and sometimes it never even comes at all. It is like an insurance policy: when you don't need it, you're even better off than when you DO need it.

It may seem expensive to build 10 or more units that you keep in reserve and don't even use for half of the game. But believe me, it is well worth it. Remember that you don't have to start these stacks at day 1; it is pretty easy to build a big stack of L1 units around day 4-6 as well, and they won't weigh so hard on your budget. The ability to draw this card from your sleeve at the right time is invaluable though.

And like zoom said, resist the temptation to use these stacks in their L1 form; it defeats the whole point of this method if they take damage before their upgrade. Keep them somewhere safe in your core, and let them ripen like a good wine.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • What, you really think so? I would say a lot more interesting viewpoints might be added to it!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

The upgrade must complete after the research. If the upgrade is done when the research level is 2, then the unit will be level 2. That means you have to time when you press that upgrade button. Too early, and you get a level 2 unit. Too late, and you're paying for a full price level 3 upgrade.

You must have the resources and manpower saved up for a mass upgrade at the right time. Do the math ahead of time. You might have to trade for resources or delay construction/build orders. Upgrading a stack of 20 bombers is not cheap

I tried this upgrade/research "glitch" with 35 ART from 1 to 3. I had 29 MP left when I started the upgrade with 30 minutes of research left :) Technically, it's still not the most efficient use of resources, but it will be nice to have all my arty at a higher level.
    • Dxc trying zoom's trick

Heh, I hope it works for you. There's this bug going around about upgraded units disappearing, I'm refraining from this trick for a while.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • DxC wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

Heh, I hope it works for you. There's this bug going around about upgraded units disappearing, I'm refraining from this trick for a while.
      They ran the gauntlet and survived. All 35 happy and health at level 3.
      Thank god. If they were snapped away by the gauntlet you would have basically been doomed lol. :D

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate