Option to Rename Provinces

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Option to Rename Provinces

What does everyone think of renaming provinces? 20

The result is only visible to the participants.

Let's say Poland conquers Danzig. They should be able to rename it to Gdansk.

If China conquers Canton, they should be able to rename it to Guangzhou.

If Yugoslavia conquers Pola, they should be able to rename it to Pula.

If Romania conquers Odesa, they should be able to rename it to Ôdeșa.

What does everyone think of renaming provinces?
      “A battle fought without determination is a battle lost.” - Josip Broz Tito
    • This has been brought up many times before, along with changing country names, and the answer has usually concluded with no. There are reasons.

Historically, makes sense to rename them (egregiously, Stalingrad if captured by Germany), but from a gameplay point of view, has limited rewards considering that this is a game, not a simulation.
      From a mechanical point of view, it may cause bugs. The Search function can already have problems, and it may require a major rework of coding to prevent bugs in all functions.
      From a community point of view, it would facilitate inappropriate or unsportsmanlike conduct. It's bad enough with noobs changing their flags to band albums or stuff to look cool. If it were only a limited number of options, this may be ironed out.

I don't see a reason for it. To quote DoctorDR1, this is a strategic war game. How does changing names and flags add to the strategy?

As always, I long to see capital ship names again visible. ;)
      Kneel before the might of Bangladesh
    • I’d still go with it, it shouldn’t be to hard to figure out a system to change province and especially country names. It just adds way more rp to the game, and looks cooler. Perhaps also allowing you to change nation color maybe an option, like a pallet of a certain amount of colors, but they can only be used by one player. Nation customization is just something I’d really really like. Trolls be damned, there is nothing that can be done about them anyway, shouldn’t let them make the game less enjoyable.

And oh my god please let us see unit names again ahhhhhh

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • No. I don't want to conquer a city called "SuckMyBalls". I also don't want to conquer Moscow which is located in the exact spot where New York usually is.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Brando Dilla wrote:

If China conquers Canton, they should be able to rename it to Guangzhou.
      Just to nit-pick, this is purely due to transliteration.
      Canton is a pronounciation of 廣東 or Kwantung/Guandong, predating Wade-Giles.
      Guangzhou is a modification of Pinyin Guǎngzhōu. Quick web search shows Pinyin wasn't even invented until the 1950s*.

If China captured Canton, assuming this mechanic were effected, it should be renamed Kwangchow.

Most Chinese place names in Call of War are Wade-Giles like Canton, Foochow, and Tsingtao, with a few annoying exceptions like Chengdu and Xinjiang, are Pinyin. In WWII Wade-Giles was standard obviously.

Probably this is to make it easier for players who already know the current forms, as major cities Chengdu, Chongqing, and Beijing (Ch'eng-tu, Ch'ung-ch'ing, and Peking) are all in Pinyin-based writing. Less important provinces tend not to be

* Yes, I am aware that Wades-Giles is a horrible way to transliterate to English. However, it happens to be historically accurate.
      Kneel before the might of Bangladesh

The post was edited 3 times, last by Lord Crayfish ().

• Lord Crayfish wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

No. I don't want to conquer a city called "SuckMyBalls". I also don't want to conquer Moscow which is located in the exact spot where New York usually is.
      Absolutely, which is why I dislike this idea.But the text did stipulate that they could only be historic, relevant names, presumably selected by a list.
      Well, thats also a bad idea
      The Saviour
    • Claudio NVKP wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

At least country names though, that would be a nice option. There shouldn’t be too much that can mess up lol.
      That's also a disaster
      I don’t see how it’s much worse than country flags. I don’t think we should stop the game from being more fun because of some dumb trolls…

• Carking the 6th wrote:

Claudio NVKP wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

At least country names though, that would be a nice option. There shouldn’t be too much that can mess up lol.
      That's also a disaster
      I don’t see how it’s much worse than country flags. I don’t think we should stop the game from being more fun because of some dumb trolls…
      Changing country flags, almkst nobody knows about that yet. But i don't know ehat would happen to country names though.
      The Saviour
    • Claudio NVKP wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

Claudio NVKP wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

That's also a disaster
      Changing country flags, almkst nobody knows about that yet. But i don't know ehat would happen to country names though.
      You can change leader names and I don’t see issues with that too often. Worst I see is the 2 people who change it to something dumb, but then are invaded by players and only last a little.

• Lord Crayfish wrote:

This has been brought up many times before, along with changing country names, and the answer has usually concluded with no. There are reasons.

Historically, makes sense to rename them (egregiously, Stalingrad if captured by Germany), but from a gameplay point of view, has limited rewards considering that this is a game, not a simulation.
      From a mechanical point of view, it may cause bugs. The Search function can already have problems, and it may require a major rework of coding to prevent bugs in all functions.
      From a community point of view, it would facilitate inappropriate or unsportsmanlike conduct. It's bad enough with noobs changing their flags to band albums or stuff to look cool. If it were only a limited number of options, this may be ironed out.

I don't see a reason for it. To quote DoctorDR1, this is a strategic war game. How does changing names and flags add to the strategy?

Agreed every day on the week and twice on sundays

Carking the 6th wrote:

I’d still go with it, it shouldn’t be to hard to figure out a system to change province and especially country names. It just adds way more rp to the game, and looks cooler. Perhaps also allowing you to change nation color maybe an option, like a pallet of a certain amount of colors, but they can only be used by one player. Nation customization is just something I’d really really like. Trolls be damned, there is nothing that can be done about them anyway, shouldn’t let them make the game less enjoyable.

Country names would be good, but not province names.

I doubt it is worth it
      Glory to the Union!

Glory to the Red Army!

Glory to the Revolution!

Marshal of the Forum High Command
    • TheZhukov wrote:

Lord Crayfish wrote:

This has been brought up many times before, along with changing country names, and the answer has usually concluded with no. There are reasons.

Agreed every day on the week and twice on sundays

Carking the 6th wrote:

I’d still go with it, it shouldn’t be to hard to figure out a system to change province and especially country names. It just adds way more rp to the game, and looks cooler. Perhaps also allowing you to change nation color maybe an option, like a pallet of a certain amount of colors, but they can only be used by one player. Nation customization is just something I’d really really like. Trolls be damned, there is nothing that can be done about them anyway, shouldn’t let them make the game less enjoyable.

Country names would be good, but not province names.
      I doubt it is worth it
      I agree then. We can ignore province names but at least have nation ones.