Defensive scorched earth tactics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Defensive scorched earth tactics

Would anyone else be at all likely to use a function where you can destroy your own buildings?

I'm currently executing a cowardly flight strategic withdrawal from my core provinces which are being invaded on all fronts and moving to an overseas colony, to prepare for a recapture mission later in the game (except realistically I expect someone else will finish me off before I get a chance to do that), and in doing that I've been cancelling a lot of projects I don't want captured, but I also have a number of finished facilities I don't want falling into enemy hands. Being able to destroy them (without using friendly fire weapons, none of which I have or can produce at short notice) would come in useful.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta
      A.K.A. "The Backstab Person"

Pan-Asian is a better doctrine than Axis when played correctly and you cannot change my mind.

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
      CoW Forum Players! Unite!
    • This would be horrible, not only would this be used too much, someone would just wipe their whole country and then the point of capturing their cities to get production would be ruined.

Maybe they should allow you to destroy Infastructure but nothing else.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.
    • I get why we might want that but I tend to agree with Fox. Capturing pre-built production buildings helps keep front-line unit production possible. Otherwise expanding players would be forced to continue producing units in their cores or would have to pour resources into building production buildings near the front line, which would take daaaays at the low morale of newly-captured cities, slowing down everything.
    • Yep. I don't know what Lord Crayfish thinks he's doing, though, seeing as his convoys seem to be going to a random spot in the Pacific ocean.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

Pan-Asian is a better doctrine than Axis when played correctly and you cannot change my mind.

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • It's not realistic to build front line units in recently captured cities. To me this detracts from the war-like feel and it makes the game easier in a way I don't enjoy. I liked the 1.0 mechanics of requiring intact industry and infrastructure to produce advanced units. This encourages players to make more strategic decisions about what to attack, when to attack, how to set up their production lines, how to defend strategic production centers, when to pay for rebuilding captured production centers. Right now these aspects of the game are too simplistic, and it gets boring.
    • I agree with the OP's request, but I believe that players should not be able to instantly destroy their buildings; instead, it would take time (maybe about 25% of the building time) and buildings with multiple levels would have to be "destroyed" multiple times.
      “A battle fought without determination is a battle lost.” - Josip Broz Tito
    • It feels like a petty revenge against a competent player who beat you. Whenever these threads come up, its alwyas about "not wanting your stuff falling into enemy hands". Yet the joy of capturing some fine stuff never gets mentioned.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Lady Aragosta wrote:

Being able to destroy them (without using friendly fire weapons, none of which I have or can produce at short notice) would come in useful.
      Yeah you kind of can if you want by backing away slowly, using fighting in the cities with artillery support and capturing back-and-forth, with stealth units. This should also break the attacker's elan and blunt their edge, giving more time to retreat to a position of strength.
      I assume the automatic massive damage to buildings upon a province being captured is the work of saboteurs anyway.
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • OK, I get the general idea:
      Just like everyone else, I sometimes get bad ideas. This was one of them, and I probably should have thought it through a bit more before posting, because most of the problems pointed out are ones I could have arrived at for myself.
      Thanks to everyone who helped me see this. :)
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • Yeah some of us (I at least) are resistant to change. It's not because the ideas aren't good, but that the current game ain't broke.
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

Yeah some of us (I at least) are resistant to change. It's not because the ideas aren't good, but that the current game ain't broke.
      I'm usually the same. And in this case it really was a bad idea.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • Claudio NVKP wrote:

i will avenge you both in that game
      I'm on the way to avenging myself, fortunately. You can help by donating resources, particularly food.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here: