arty only defending when melee attacked

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• arty only defending when melee attacked

I've heard that arty will stop it's offensive fire once a melee stack reaches it and initiates a melee battle. Can others confirm or deny this behavior? I don't think it used to be like that and don't think it's intended; at least it shouldn't be. Freezy do you know what's going on with this?
    • I'll add my screenshot to this. This arty had been firing as I approached but stopped when I engaged.

I've noticed this behavior for a while but can't remember if or when it changed. It could have been as part of the melee defending vs attacking behavior change that popped up a few months ago?

In general I prefer all my stacks defend but don't attack until ordered, which is this current behavior. There had been an idea of having stacks with offensively-tilted stats auto-attack back, which would probably mean that most arty stacks would continue to attack once engaged in melee, but I'd rather it be player choice.
      Images
      • sketch-1682303304304.jpg

160.63 kB, 1,080×1,541, viewed 5 times
    • Confirm.
      And yes, it should be. Most units have higher defensive stats, if your artillerie stack attacked by those units with higher defensive stats, you wouldn't really glad to see offensive autofire at closecombat... And if your artillery is defended by units with higher defensive stats, you don't want they waste their advantage.

However, you can any time set attack manuel for all your closecombat defending units.

Thread solved. Can be closed.
    • Last Warrior wrote:

And yes, it should be. Most units have higher defensive stats, if your artillerie stack attacked by those units with higher defensive stats, you wouldn't really glad to see offensive autofire at closecombat... And if your artillery is defended by units with higher defensive stats, you don't want they waste their advantage.
      It doesn't really matter either way to me, but the default fire control setting "fire at will" says that it will automatically attack the closest stack. It just seems a bit strange for arty to be firing at an incoming stack and then cease fire once the stack is in melee range. If I have arty that are "caught out" into a melee skirmish, they are usually a small stack with few or any other units with them. They are screwed no matter what, but there best bet would be to at least get a shot off, since they will do hardly anything on defense. I agree that if you had a bunch of defensive melee units stacked with them then it would usually not be best to attack (unless, perhaps, there were a lot of arty), but that's a bit beside the point; the point being that it conflicts with the fire control setting and I'm pretty sure it didn't work like that in the past. I wasn't only asking for confirmation of the behavior, but was wondering if it's a bug or intended.