The Luxembourg Challenge

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Luxembourg Challenge

Have you ever tried playing All Countries All In as Luxembourg? I've heard of several players' stories of this, and now's the chance to try it out yourself! All In will be spawning tomorrow, and I'm planning on joining one as Luxembourg.

Unfortunately, it seems that only 4x games will be available this time. I don't like it when 1½ days go by during my sleep, so the results might not be as good as it would be in a 1x game. But I'll keep everyone posted on what happens. If you want to join a Luxembourg game, feel free to share your experience here too.
      “A battle fought without determination is a battle lost.” - Josip Broz Tito
    • Inspired by this thread, I started a game as Luxembourg

However, the worst possible thing happened,
      That is Germany, France UK and Italy joined a coalition together.

However, I will play it out to the bitter end.

Day 1:

Not much to report on. Luxembourg starting army is very poor. Only militia, AT and AA. I consolidated all troops into the capital and started the production of artillery units and AT units while constructing bunkers to reduce incoming damage in the looming war. I also started the construction of local industry in the rural provinces.
      I reached out to everyone in Europe but very few responded. Of note, I have developed an alliance with Greece.

France has amassed ~30 units on the border which has the potential to end my game in minutes. Germany initially amassed 50 units on the border but that has been reduced to 20 as Germany decided to attack Poland first instead. The UK invaded Demark.

Other notable wars:
      Sweden killed by Norway
      Yugoslavia killed by Italy
      Poland partitioned by Germany and USSR
      Italy has started the invasion of Greece.
    • * I forgot that this was a 4x speed game so 1.5 days went by in my sleep.
      Fortunately, it appears that Germany and France share a similar timezone to me.

Day 2/3/4 combined
      The power of diplomacy!! Early on day 3, I blitzkrieg Belgium and Netherlands. Neither had moved any troops so with some artillery built from the day before, I conquered both of them with zero losses. However, I am now annoyingly at war with their colonies. Somehow from this blitzkrieg, France got scared and signed a NAP. I think that they will betray this NAP as soon as their war with Spain ends. From the newspaper, I see both Spain and France have taken significant losses. Nevertheless, with Germany preoccupied with Soviet expansion1, France temporarily busy with Spain and the UK fighting Ireland, and Denmark and assisting France, I am safe for a few hours.
      1: The Soviet Union, Nationalist China, Japan and Slovakia have formed a resistance coalition.
      With some diplomacy, I was able to convince Nationalist China to donate me 2k goods so that I could build the final level 5 bunker. I now have a whopping 90% resistance to all damage in my capital. An impressive and scary feat for any would-be invader.
      However, I now face significant problems in my country:
      1. I have very little production of oil and goods. Whilst oil is not a major problem as I have no units that consume oil, goods are a major problem and my morale is going to decrease because of it on day change. Furthermore, without goods, I can no longer build infantry or ordnance units. And with no oil, tanks, planes and boats are out of the question. This left rocket artillery as the only option.
      2. After building two R arty, my manpower reached 0. My hourly production is a meagre +4 because I have only three provinces and a decent army. Thus I am currently checkmated on three key resources.
      3. It is unfeasible for me to wait to improve my situation because I possess only 1 lvl 1 aa unit and all of France, Germany and the UK start with tactical bombers. They could wipe out my army from the air. An anti-climatic end!

As such, I decided that I have to expand somewhere. Switzerland and I have exchanged r.o.w but we do not share borders and attacking Italy would be unwise as they are an experienced player. They are blitzing through North Africa and Spain. The newspaper shows that Italy uses a lot of arty and air and his k/d is excellent. Germany is also out of the question as their starting army is probably more powerful than my army ever will be. This leaves France as the best option. Indeed some scouting shows that the path to Paris is relatively open with the crucial lvl3 forts in France being unmanned. However, as I am a man of my word, I will not betray the NAP I have signed with France. This leaves the UK as the only option. As they are currently fighting Ireland, Denmark and Sweden, I think they are stretched out in resources and will not have the manpower ready to defend London. Yet this is a gamble as with no air and no navy, I cannot defend my convoys. But tough situations call for tough risks and fortune will only favour the bold. I give the order for my troops to start embarking.

Picture:
    • Update:
      LANDING SUCCESS
      As I correctly predicted, the UK had no naval assets to defend the channel as they were all away fighting in other theatres. This my convoys we’re able to cross the channel unharmed. However around 3/4 of the way through the disembarked process, UK logged on and immediately reacted to my invasion. He sent two groups of planes and some troops from London (as I had no scouting units, I do not know the composition of the troops he was sending). Realising the gravity of the situation, I immediately forced march to a better terrain province to get the power boost to my lone lvl1aa which was now up against 5 lvl2 planes. The capture of the province also removed his +15% defensive boost. After a tense stand off, the smaller of his plane stacks was destroyed while the troops in London were also destroyed. Capitalising on this success I ordered my troops to Cambridge. Yet through a stroke of sheer ingenuity I stopped mere kilometres away from the city and instead sent one militia unit ahead. Sure enough there were ten level three commandos waiting for me there. That caution saved my entire attack. I pounded the city like hell until the newspaper showed that the entire stack had been destroyed. Currently I have taken Cambridge and London and have sent orders for my troops to move into central England away from the coast and the royal navy that will likely soon arise. If I can capture 50% of England before France and Germany amass large portions of troops in Europe, I have a chance.
    • RagingInferno wrote:

Update:
      This my convoys we’re able to cross the channel unharmed.
      [...] Currently I have taken Cambridge and London and have sent orders for my troops to move into central England away from the coast and the royal navy that will likely soon arise. If I can capture 50% of England before France and Germany amass large portions of troops in Europe, I have a chance.
      Taking on the greatest power on earth as Luxembourg... no mean feat even if you lose. This is entertaining :beer:
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • Next Day (irl)
      Sorry for the lack of updates but the war in the UK was very demanding of my time. Following on from the previous update, my main troops could take the central cities of Sheffield, Manchester and Birmingham with little resistance as the UK possessed a meagre force of only 4 troops (2 artillery, 1 infantry, 1aa) there. I also split off some militia to take Edinburgh and Plymouth with 0 resistance. However, as I was doing so, the UK stopped his attack on Spain and sent his troops back to land in Portsmouth and take back his homeland. Seeing as his force was composed of only 6 units, I believed that I should eliminate the stack before it could regroup with other troops and create a death stack. As such I move my entire army to combat the army in Portsmouth. To me, this seemed like an easy victory as his fleet was nowhere in sight. Yet the UK had pulled off a very cunning move...
      Unbeknownst to me, the UK had landed another force from Ireland consisting of 4 units. Somewhere to the north of Plymouth. He had also been marching (likely force marching?) those units through territories that had rebelled. I was absolutely ransacked by rebelling provinces as I had no capital to take since I took London first. This is somewhat historical I guess as the British population would not be very happy at becoming part of greater Luxembourg. Nevertheless, going back to the action, I began shelling the troops in Portsmouth when his 4 stack from Ireland engaged my troops. He immediately also sent in his 6 stack for melee combat. At this stage I wasn't worried as both of our stacks were built defensively with the exception of artillery so I would have the upperhand while defending. However, this is where the UK pulled off his great move as he quickly force marched his battleships into range and they pummelled my troops. I could do nothing but watch as my troops (mainly artillery) was withered away...
      It seemed like the end was nigh at that moment...

Despite the withering battleship fire however, my 24 stack prevailed against his 10 units and they limped back to central England on force march. Sure enough at day change half of the UK cities rebelled again but this time I only sent militia to take them as ships can't see militia.
      While this may seem bad, I still have hope. As I have captured every city at least once, I believe that the UK has no more troops in or near the British isles so as land counter-attack is unlikely.
      Furthermore, I had shadowed the larger airplane stack mentioned 2 entries ago with a militia back to its province so I. While it was refuelling, I was able to sacrifice the militia to turn the planes into convoys. When my main stack caught up, his planes were quickly eliminated so he also has no air assets currently around the UK. Thus the plan is to hide in central England and send militia to capture rebelling provinces every day.

More positives:
      [b]With the capture of the UK, all of resources are now in the green and my manpower production is +136/h, pretty decent for a one-city start.[/b]
      Furthermore, France has offered an alliance with me, after he saw that I defeated the UK so perhaps a coalition Victory is in place?
      Picture of me retreating:

• Consolidation of the British Isles:
      There is no new action to report on currently, I have been followed the plan above letting my main stack recover in the middle of England and sending out militia to capture the rebelling provinces. They are getting fewer each day now and mainly in the north of the country.
      Achievement: With the resources gathered from invading the British isles, I was able to construct a level 3 recruiting barrack in Luxembourg City and Amsterdam boosting my manpower production to 200/h. This will be important for the following wars.

Strategic Position:
      With my early game now secured and successful, it is time for me to think on how to proceed in the game. Whilst a solo victory as Luxembourg would be amazing, I need to proceed with caution and diplomacy as just one mistake can ruin the game for me. Whilst I will keep an eye out for the possibility of solo victory, I think a coalition victory is more likely.
      My possible options
      1. (Main) Ally with France + Norway
      2. Try to join the USA+Canada+Australia+ Brazil coalition, I am not sure if they will remove one of their members for me
      3. Ally with china, egpyt and another of china's allies. However, while the UK was fighting me and egpyt, china did not send much help and in fact exchanged share map with UK so he might be an unreliable ally.
      4. Go all out for solo victory (unlikely)
      What do you guys think?
    • Solo!

It is not the challenge when it isn't done solo)))
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.