Black Power: a playthrough

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I wonder what exactly is racist about it? Of course its about black men liberating their people from oppression, and the reports are indeed in a caricature style, but I don't really see how it it is racist?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Creating caricatures of black people is inherently racist then? Is Bridget Jones misogynist? Is Monty Python anti-British, is Succession anti-capitalist, is Absolutely Fabulous anti-elite?

I'd remind you that the idioms and vocabulary of AAVE (African American Vernacular English) were created mostly by black people themselves, boosted big by the black rappers of the nineties and afterwards. Did they create caricatures of themselves? To some extent they did; the language wasn't taken very seriously even by themselves. But does that make them racists? Can you be a racist against your own race?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • I'm assuming most of your questions are rhetorical.

Taking on an over-the-top persona by imitating Black American speech (while role playing as an African community) and referencing "hoes" and "gangstas" is the racist, cringeworthy part. If you want to keep your playthrough going this way that's fine, I can't stop you.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

I'm assuming most of your questions are rhetorical.
      Only partly. I'm trying to locate where your uncomfortable feeling comes from. I don't want to offend anyone; the thread was only meant as innocent jesting. I know the "black" part is more sensitive than, for example, RP'ing a caricature of a snobbish stiff-upper-lip British carreer officer (I would assume you have no problem at all with that, but maybe I'm wrong?), probably because it is still a very real disadvantage to have a black skin, especially in America. But when that means there are restrictions on who you can and cannot make fun about, isn't that taking it one step too far? Can we only ever get to a point where we can joke about "blackness" when emancipation is fully complete?
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Fox-Company wrote:

I just wanna throw my chips in and say, you might wanna stop before someone else stops you.
      Are you seriously trying to say that you can't even discuss why making fun of black people is different from making fun of other groups?
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Fox-Company wrote:

I just wanna throw my chips in and say, you might wanna stop before someone else stops you.
      Are you seriously trying to say that you can't even discuss why making fun of black people is different from making fun of other groups?
      You put my chips on the wrong table, i'm talking about the whole acting thing, someone is gonna come by and see it and get really angry, might get you in trouble. Sure in the US this stuff is normal everyday stuff, sadly, but even then. This is a CoW Forum and this topic should have never been brought up.
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fox-Company ().

• K.Rokossovski wrote:

jubjub bird wrote:

I'm assuming most of your questions are rhetorical.
      Only partly. I'm trying to locate where your uncomfortable feeling comes from. I don't want to offend anyone; the thread was only meant as innocent jesting. I know the "black" part is more sensitive than, for example, RP'ing a caricature of a snobbish stiff-upper-lip British carreer officer (I would assume you have no problem at all with that, but maybe I'm wrong?), probably because it is still a very real disadvantage to have a black skin, especially in America. But when that means there are restrictions on who you can and cannot make fun about, isn't that taking it one step too far? Can we only ever get to a point where we can joke about "blackness" when emancipation is fully complete?
      Yea to be clear I'm not trying to imply malicious intent here. I actually think a discussion of racism in roleplaying would be interesting, because there is certainly a line somewhere but figuring out where that line is may not be cut and dry. I'd propose separating it from this thread and making it more general. Maybe something for Off Topic. I might be able to OP something later.
    • Well, I'm sorry, but I've lost my appetite for this thread when people I respect and appreciate tell me it is cringe. The playthrough has ended. Again, sorry.
      - BIG DADDY.