Units Regaining HP at Day Change when in Combat

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Units Regaining HP at Day Change when in Combat

In my Colombia game (which you may have heard about) I am fighting an enemy unit on my soil. The enemy unit is attacking my Armored Car stack, which is defending, while my artillery stack is firing at the enemy stack from a distance. During the battle, the in-game Day Change happened. Both stacks that were involved in the melee combat (the enemy stack and my AC stack) got an HP bonus, even though they are in combat, and the enemy unit isn't even in their own province. I've read in the game wiki that units do not heal at day change when they are locked in close combat (melee combat). I also read that land units only heal in their own territory. Have one (or both) of those rules been modified? Or have I came across a bug?

P.S. Even my Tactical Bomber stack (which is attacking the enemy stack) gained HP!
      “A battle fought without determination is a battle lost.” - Josip Broz Tito
    • Interesting. I'm not aware of health not regenerating during melee combat. I am fairly certain I usually see melee combat units regenerating because I know I plan for it when attacking near day change. I could easily be wrong here--a quick search of the wiki didn't give me any answers, but I could have missed something.

As for both healing, it looks like you're both in your own territory. What likely happened here is that your units were less than 5km from the border and your enemies were approaching. When your enemies hit the border they triggered combat because an event (hitting the border) occurred while they were within 5km of your units. This put them in melee combat with your units despite technically residing in a separate province. If you check both stacks' locations my guess is they'll show different provinces.

If that's what happened here, it's normal. Aware players can take advantage of this, particularly when there are differing terrain bonuses on either side of the border. Have a tank-vs-tank battle but want extra advantage? Trigger the battle while you're at the edge of a plains province and while your opponent's tanks are at the edge of a neighboring non-plains province.

As for the planes, what matters there is their airbase location and not their actual dot.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

Part 1:

Interesting. I'm not aware of health not regenerating during melee combat. I am fairly certain I usually see melee combat units regenerating because I know I plan for it when attacking near day change. I could easily be wrong here--a quick search of the wiki didn't give me any answers, but I could have missed something.

Part 2:

As for both healing, it looks like you're both in your own territory. What likely happened here is that your units were less than 5km from the border and your enemies were approaching. When your enemies hit the border they triggered combat because an event (hitting the border) occurred while they were within 5km of your units. This put them in melee combat with your units despite technically residing in a separate province. If you check both stacks' locations my guess is they'll show different provinces.

If that's what happened here, it's normal. Aware players can take advantage of this, particularly when there are differing terrain bonuses on either side of the border. Have a tank-vs-tank battle but want extra advantage? Trigger the battle while you're at the edge of a plains province and while your opponent's tanks are at the edge of a neighboring non-plains province.

As for the planes, what matters there is their airbase location and not their actual dot.
      Replying to Part 1:

When I used to be more micromanaging in my CoW rounds (aka the Quarantine days (aka the pre-CoW 2.0 days)), units would never regain HP if they were stuck in melee when the day changed, regardless of whose province they were in. Maybe that was something that was changed in the 2.0 mechanics or a recent update? I haven't been active as much lately so I don't get to see battles happen as often, let alone happen at the day change. So if this is not a bug, they should update their wiki. I haven't heard an announcement in their updates regarding this.

Replying to Part 2:

In the game - the enemy unit is right on the border, while mine is comfortably within my territory. At first I thought that the physical "gap" between the stacks was because the enemy stack had been hit with an attack from my Artillery before they totally reached the place where my stack is (my tacs arrived late to the party). Or my Cruiser could have fired at them. But I guess your theory would work as well.

Either way, I just won the battle.

“A battle fought without determination is a battle lost.” - Josip Broz Tito
    • Brando Dilla wrote:

Display Spoiler
      P.S. There's a trick I do when a stack is almost at the center of an enemy province. Just regive the attack order to the stack, and if it's close enough, the province will be captured, saving you at least 10 minutes.

Yea this is a handy trick. It works for any combat within 5km, so you can also do it when you're near enemy units to initiate melee combat.

A good way to judge distance (to know whether you're within the 5km limit) is to use the movement arrow. 5km is about the length of the center of the movement arrow when all the way zoomed in.

The post was edited 1 time, last by jubjub bird ().

• Brando Dilla wrote:

So if this is not a bug, they should update their wiki.
      The reference in the wiki regarding healing and combat is talking about using gold to heal, not daily autoheal. "You can also heal your units manually with gold via the corresponding button in the army bar. This is only possible if your units are currently not locked in combat."