What is the best Anti Tank strategy?/Are Anti-tanks worth it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best Anti Tank strategy?/Are Anti-tanks worth it?

Tanks, (or infantry) are undeniably the most used unit in CoW, medium and light tanks tend to make up the backbone of most of my stacks. Therefore I tend to counter tanks with tanks, unless I have free ordnance factories. I will use AT, but what is the best anti-tank strategy, is it better to rely on heavy fortifications/bunkers and good infrastructure than higher level anti-tank units?
      President of The Forum.

(As elected October 2023).

Can be found on Call of War itself as "Zaktty".
    • Usually you want to be the one expanding and you'll be attacking more often than defending, so your own tanks are decent for attacking enemy tanks.

Anti-tank are fine but require defending, which isn't always an option. Better options are ranged units like artillery and RRG, or maybe attack bombers.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

Usually you want to be the one expanding and you'll be attacking more often than defending, so your own tanks are decent for attacking enemy tanks.
      But there's such a thing as tactical defence to protect flanks? Elan will be lost if main spearhead doesn't continue to move, but surely some defence is necessary? I think I've found out the hard way before.
      That being said a few tank destroyers and/or attack bombers (depending on doctrine) are a good reactive defensive measure. What do you think?
      Kneel before the might of Bangladesh
    • Sometimes, sure. Usually you're advancing in relatively balanced fashion so your flanks should *not* be too vulnerable. ABs can help, and I don't hate TDs, but I don't think building a strategy around flank protection is best. With ranged units you can always fire while retreating if you're outmatched on a flank.

The post was edited 1 time, last by jubjub bird ().

• I used to be an anti-tank-destroyer. Then I used them for real, and I saw the light.

TD is a heavy armor unit. Most offensive close combat units don't do piddly squat against heavy armor.

Yeah, yeah, artillery SP artillery, RRG, of course we all love them, but are you paying attention?

Offensive, close combat units don't do much against heavy armor. Go look around. Even other tanks don't have an easy time against heavy armor. And if you're defending a city (what else are you going to defend?) then the TD has the upper hand against every other armored unit.

Even though the TD doesn't have amazing stats against light armor or unarmored units, they do even worse against the TD, and the TD has a lot more HP. It will outlast them in a fight.

Another advantage: it's produced in tank factories, using metal/oil/rares. This leaves all the goods for your artillery, AA, and aircraft. The real damage dealers of your army. And goods are the most expensive resource on large maps.

On balance, the TD is an excellent defensive unit with good survivability, speed, and favorable resource consumption.