Betraying Team mates. Is it common?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Betraying Team mates. Is it common?

Hey there.

Only been playing this game a couple of months. Really liking it.

One thing I'm noticing is It seems to be a common trend for some players to suddenly abandon coalitions, and attack former team mates when they least expect it.

E.g. a coalition ally will leave a group suddenly, go dark and attack unsuspecting allies. Or people who you have shared maps with for a good chunk of the game will see your army positions, then when it suits them, go dark and whipe you out.

The ally is obviously not expecting it and has no defense's near the border. They're busy working somewhere else.

Is
      that a normal thing is this game? How do you find honest allies?

In regards to being a betrayed. There is no real consequence playing that way. It's really just an advantage to be a bit dirty.

In the case of leaving a coalition there is a cool down period. That's great. But it has no affect on your reputation rating or anything.
    • Yes, this happens all the time and is completely normal. Although it can be frowned upon if you do it to allies that were helpful to you, and supported if they were not of any use. You usually won’t meet players that you fight ever again so there are no real out of game consequences and you’re completely fine if you do it.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate

The post was edited 1 time, last by Carking the 6th ().

• Some alliances do this. Their members will join coalitions with new players and give intel to their alliance mates or attack themselves. It’s a pretty shady way to play. Just look out for the alliance tags, if you see them be sure the potential partner doesn’t have other alliance mates that haven’t joined your coalition.
    • That's pretty embarrassing to have to resort to that kind of tactic when you've already got the built in advantage of joining a game with alliance mates.

I don't turn on teammates just because I can see their army position. Usually it's because they aren't carrying their own weight and the coalition (or me solo) would be better off no longer teaming with that player.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

That's pretty embarrassing to have to resort to that kind of tactic when you've already got the built in advantage of joining a game with alliance mates.

I don't turn on teammates just because I can see their army position. Usually it's because they aren't carrying their own weight and the coalition (or me solo) would be better off no longer teaming with that player.
      I couldn't agree more. I don't backstab either, joining with alliance mates should be enough of an advantage. I would consider it under certain circumstances, but so far have yet to do so.

With that said, I often have new players reach out to me about joining their coalition. My standard response is that I don't join coalitions until after the first batch of players go inactive so I can assess the map. I even give this when I've had a full team join the map. Strategic deception has a place in war, but I'm not attempting to gain their trust. I could even be moving troops in place to attack them and my answer is the same.
    • jubjub bird wrote:

That's pretty embarrassing to have to resort to that kind of tactic when you've already got the built in advantage of joining a game with alliance mates.

we don't resort to it
      It helps us win faster
      We won in 17 days
      Glory to the Union!

Glory to the Red Army!

Glory to the Revolution!

Marshal of the Forum High Command
    • It depends. If betraying teammates is what you want to do, and it benefits you, it is a good thing. Those that are worried about betrayal should still leave troops in core provinces to ensure that if a betrayal does happen, your troops are ready and in-position.
    • Dimebag Darrell II. wrote:

I experienced it once and it wasn't that nice. I thought he was on my side and it didn't end up well and my stats did suffer from this.
      I remember one game where I was betrayed because I wasn’t helping my team enough or something. I was asking them where wanted me to go and trying to actually do stuff even though I was busy, but they give off the same energy as the pro Fortnite player crowd. Killed me. I hate doomsday maps sometimes…

• I had a player try to betray me once but he did me a favor. I noticed an alliance with six members just south of me and one unaligned player between me and them. I had an alliance mate on my border that I didn’t have a lot of confidence in so I reached out to the unaligned player and got map share with him after pointing out the alliance of six. It was only about six hours into the map starting and the guy had 14 ACs. My alliance has a strict no first use rule with gold and the guy gave me easy confirmation. But I offered to help him against the six so I was going to start using gold yet. He attacked a few AI on my borders and parked his units there overnight so my suspicion was sky high. I checked my phone at 4am to find him crossing my border with the leader of the alliance of six. Since I had my confirmation the unaligned player had golded I matched him and had time to get my units in place. Then seeing how many units the leader of the alliance had, I matched him too. They must have been shocked when I gave them a fight and all seven of them archived the game. Then I sent my golden units to deal with another heavy golder in Africa before retiring them for the rest of the game.
    • 6thDragon wrote:

I had a player try to betray me once but he did me a favor. I noticed an alliance with six members just south of me and one unaligned player between me and them. I had an alliance mate on my border that I didn’t have a lot of confidence in so I reached out to the unaligned player and got map share with him after pointing out the alliance of six. It was only about six hours into the map starting and the guy had 14 ACs. My alliance has a strict no first use rule with gold and the guy gave me easy confirmation. But I offered to help him against the six so I was going to start using gold yet. He attacked a few AI on my borders and parked his units there overnight so my suspicion was sky high. I checked my phone at 4am to find him crossing my border with the leader of the alliance of six. Since I had my confirmation the unaligned player had golded I matched him and had time to get my units in place. Then seeing how many units the leader of the alliance had, I matched him too. They must have been shocked when I gave them a fight and all seven of them archived the game. Then I sent my golden units to deal with another heavy golder in Africa before retiring them for the rest of the game.
      Fighting fire with fire is always great. Though I don’t like doing it anymore, I’d rather my my gold for a future plan…

• Humanperson wrote:

Hey there.

Only been playing this game a couple of months. Really liking it.

One thing I'm noticing is It seems to be a common trend for some players to suddenly abandon coalitions, and attack former team mates when they least expect it.

E.g. a coalition ally will leave a group suddenly, go dark and attack unsuspecting allies. Or people who you have shared maps with for a good chunk of the game will see your army positions, then when it suits them, go dark and whipe you out.

The ally is obviously not expecting it and has no defense's near the border. They're busy working somewhere else.

Is
      that a normal thing is this game? How do you find honest allies?

In regards to being a betrayed. There is no real consequence playing that way. It's really just an advantage to be a bit dirty.

In the case of leaving a coalition there is a cool down period. That's great. But it has no affect on your reputation rating or anything.
      One option is they are fake players who are set up prior to the game and go out after 5 days and I can not remember right now the time 3 days after becoming inactive their guys start attacking anyone close or crossing their land. Look at their stats (which is broken) and it will tell you how many games and win or lose or poor performance issues which means stick figures which I call them. Nothing more then a front.

I usually wait 5 days which 70% of the players are gone and then an coalition. I have played over 4 years and am calling it quits over lack of customer service over fixing things that continually go wrong.

I was a programmer at one time and this is just poorly done and not having time to have a few select players try it before throwing the game out there and or debugging it first. If I did that in the real world I would be fired.