Phantom homeland bonus?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Phantom homeland bonus?

My understanding of the homeland bonus is that it applies in core provinces as long as you still own the province but does not apply in core provinces if someone else owns it. (The Wiki is vague enough that I am not sure whether this is intended behavior or not.)

You can see in the first screenshot below that the attacking unit, an anti-air, doesn't have the 15% defense normally associated with the homeland bonus (next to the fortress icon in the STATUS column), so it would appear that things are working as described above. [Edit: in case it is not clear, this is the anti-air's core province and I have captured it and am now defending.]

However, even after attack, the defending stack shows 9.4 defense vs unarmored but only did 7.2 damage to the anti-air.

This result is outside the +/- 20% random factor (it's a reduction of ~24%) and could only be achieved through some other way of reducing damage, such as the homeland bonus being applied: 9.4 damage minus 15% homeland bonus would be 8.0, so the 7.2 damage noted would only be a 10% deviation from expectation, which would be within the +/-. Thus, it seems like this AA still received the homeland defense bonus despite not showing it in the STATUS column and despite not being on owned territory.

What might be relevant information is that this AA started its journey towards this province while the province was still considered homeland. I took the province over before the AA arrived.

Is this a visual error, where units are actually supposed to get homeland bonuses even when the province is no longer owned, and the issue is with the defense bonus display in the STATUS column? Or is there another issue at play where a unit that shouldn't be getting homeland defense is still receiving it somehow, possibly because it was sent to that province before ownership changed?

The post was edited 1 time, last by jubjub bird ().

• jubjub bird wrote:

This result is outside the +/- 20% random factor (it's a reduction of ~24%) and could only be achieved through some other way of reducing damage, such as the homeland bonus being applied: 9.4 damage minus 15% homeland bonus would be 8.0, so the 7.2 damage noted would only be a 10% deviation from expectation, which would be within the +/-. Thus, it seems like this AA still received the homeland defense bonus despite not showing it in the STATUS column and despite not being on owned territory.
      I hoped the second round of combat might provide another data point, but the attacking unit died so it's impossible to draw any further conclusions from this interaction. The 7.8 health remaining could have been killed by either the full damage (9.4) or the homeland-reduced damage (8.0).
    • If I remember correctly there is NO homeland defense bonus unless you own it, so this should not be happening. As you said it’s most likely a glitch where the unit had it before you took the province, didn’t lose it for some reason after the capture, and then that -10% deviation took place. I know that units sometimes take time to adapt to changes, for example sometimes even after capturing a province, a unit in that province that was moving through would retain the same speed. This sort of glitch seems likely. Did you check to see what happened next battle? Perhaps it reverted to normal after the first fight? If so than it would be very likely that it’s that sort of glitch.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Funny you say that, because the AI was kind enough to do the same thing a second time and that's what happened:

This time it did the expected damage assuming no homeland bonus. There must be something about updating the status of a unit when a province changes hands, similar to speed, that happens (or doesn't happen) with things like homeland bonuses.
    • Just like I guessed! Most likely the status didn’t update until after the combat started, and it simply fixed itself the next battle. As a minor tip, make sure to use this to your advantage if this happens to you. You can have a bonus on the first combat and sometimes even a speed boost as long as you don’t change orders, and allow the status to shift.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate