Auto Garrison feature replacing Militia units.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Auto Garrison feature replacing Militia units.

Militia units don't seem very useful compared to infantry. What about having them removed and replace with an auto garrison feature like in Rome Total War. When attacked a city's militia units would auto spawn based upon the city value/development. This would be more realistic historically since usually militia units where just local units that would not leave their immediate area. It would also make it more difficult to just blitzkrieg though a country with only armored units.
    • Militia aren't supposed to be a useful alternative to a trained infantry unit, they are a stop gap measure to fill in the numbers when you don't have the infrastructure to equip an army, or you need soldiers quickly.

Militia have half the recruitment time of infantry, and serve as the equivalent of conscripts, meatshields or cannon fodder. And keeping a large levy of untrained, inexperienced troops is not a good idea.

If I had any alterations to make, it would be to reduce either/or the manpower or grain costs to match the cost for normal infantry
      Kalantigos
      Master Chief Petty Officer.
      Game Moderator
      EN Community Support
      Bytro Labs | Call of War
    • the militia is weaker, and its resource cost compare to the infantry is lower but with the current cost it makes no difference, if you ask me the cost for a militia and infantry make no difference the militia cost should me greatly reduce.

and i tried using militias to take undefended territory in north Africa, you know the worthless large mass lands north of the map i use 2 militia units to take 5-7 of Africa at 80% effectiveness and guess what happen. it works but they rebel in the end, at least i got rid of them.
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day
    • Kalantigos wrote:

Militia aren't supposed to be a useful alternative to a trained infantry unit, they are a stop gap measure to fill in the numbers when you don't have the infrastructure to equip an army, or you need soldiers quickly.

Militia have half the recruitment time of infantry, and serve as the equivalent of conscripts, meatshields or cannon fodder. And keeping a large levy of untrained, inexperienced troops is not a good idea.

If I had any alterations to make, it would be to reduce either/or the manpower or grain costs to match the cost for normal infantry
      That being the case, it would be really useful if you were able to disband units.

That way, you could quickly recruit militia to fend off a surprise attack, and then stand them down once the threat is over without having to maintain them for ever afterwards or deliberately send them to their deaths to get rid of them.
    • Disbanding them is a good idea but if implemented the only units affected are militias and the devs hard work implementing it a waste, I would suggest to significantly reduce their overall cost and training time, as well as to increase their defensive value on "core territory" only, least we can make them boys useful for a while.
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day