Add Core Provinces

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Add Core Provinces

In World War II and the years after, many country borders changed and incorporated other territories into them. For example, the Weimar Republic became the German Reich which incorporated Austria, the Sudetenland, western Poland, Alsace-Lorriane, and Luxembourg. Now I see how this could be problematic, but it's good for roleplay and functionality since non-core provinces are worthless unless you have a massive empire. I think that you should only be able to add a non-core province to your core provinces:
      1. Once per day
      2. If it's bordering an existing core province
      3. If it has over 70% morale

The post was edited 2 times, last by Commander Schleicher ().

• I think one thing they should do is make the occupied Japanese land in China cores of nationalist (maybe even also Communist?) China. It was taken and belonged to them…

The idea itself is great though. Maybe tack on a cost to fully core it and it would work. Only thing is that make rural provinces cores would become kinda useless… maybe 2 rurals and one urban or something? This system may make an ugly map where people make a line of rural provinces leading to whatever cities they want… make sure it prevents border gore!

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • The farther away you get from your capital, the harder it is to increase morale. So for endgame on smaller maps (day 8-21) it may take 2 days to increase the morale just for one province. And even if you spent gold, it would be limited to one province a day. And on larger maps, the distances are even greater which makes larger strings of provinces almost impossible unless you spend money every single day, which is pretty rare from what I've seen. A beautiful suggestion in my opinion, such simple rules that flow with the game mechanics no matter how much gold you spend.
    • You said that there was a potential for a line of provinces that connect to cities, which you referred to as "border gore." I refuted this by explaining how the 'distance to capital' morale penalty would make this harder and harder the farther away you get from the capital, forcing you to create a more appealing border. And this isn't even including the expansion penalty or the cost to increase morale in aforementioned provinces. And remember, you can only incorporate one province per day. So on day 22, the absolute maximum amount of provinces you could've incorporated would be 22. And this would be very difficult to do since by that time your morale penalties would make it impossible to keep it above 70% morale at longer distances from the capital.
    • Well in that case the use isn’t too helpful… sure you double core provinces but the time it takes is so high that it might not even be useful… plus much of the time you’re coding usless rural land that’s only good for manpower. You can also always move your capital over to non core provinces and use that to speed things up…

• Maybe, but also looking at realism, I don’t see a Turkish person suddenly thinking they are part of the Caucasus… I guess the 70 morale is there for that reason as well. But maybe it would be better to set up outside of country cores? Like in equal maps every country gets 2 other countries worth of cores they can take over? You can make it more realistic in HWW, where it’s easier to be unbalanced.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Carking the 6th ().

• It's not mainly for roleplay purposes, this is probably one of the most realistic features. If a territory is under occupation for such a long time, why should it remain non-core? Especially when you have actual ethnic regions for certain countries. Poland has a large German population in the west, so if that land was to fall under Germany would it just remain Polish? No, we have seen Germany retake and incorporate that land into their empire for centuries. Not only is it realistic, it's super beneficial. Non-core provinces only produce 1/3 the amount of resources that a core province does. Having such a small heartland to produce resources can become very straining on your army or economy, especially during the endgame. The only question I would as is "Why isn't this a feature?"
    • Yeah sure Germany could core parts of Poland, but could Ethiopia incorporate East Africa? Could Morroco core Mali? Could Brazil core Argentina? Could Italy core France? This game takes place in the age of nationalism! France tried to incorporate Algeria, didn’t turn out so well. The Saviour tried to incorporate Angola, but then he dies and look, it’s the MPLA! This game takes place from the 30s-50s. 20 years won’t be long enough for assimilation, not to mention that you’re incorporating parts in just a few years after war. Sure resources are nice and all and it might add another complex layer of mechanics for new players to learn and master on top of everything else, but is it worth it? Not without at least some ironing out of the details…

• Don't forget this is a fictional game as well with historical elements. Germany was able to assimilate/exterminate the people in Poland pretty easily. And you should read into Axis plans like Lebensraum and Spazio Vitale which were attempted plans to clear out huge areas of land for settlement of the "Aryan Race." My realistic examples were for reference as to why this feature is good in every aspect, but not every Call of War game is realistic. I will stand by this suggestion as I have told you all the benefits, downsides, and requirements.
    • They didn’t assimilate Poland. The language and culture was still Polish. Murdering all the people and replacing them takes ages, and looking the western half of the US, populations in genocide areas take very very long to recover. Germany could not turn everyone in Poland into a German, or murder them all and replace them into 20 years, gaining their resource production..

• I guess you're right on that, I don't really have any more points to make than the ones in previous posts. But what you said is kind of the reason it would be limited per day since you can't just incorporate a huge land mass into an ethnic group. Although not all nations are necessarily an ethnic state. The United States has plenty of diverse culture, even back in the 40s when it was highlighted via segregation. With all that being said I still stand by this feature, I don't see how any harm can be done by it.
    • Some good points here!

Carking the 6th wrote:

I think one thing they should do is make the occupied Japanese land in China cores of nationalist (maybe even also Communist?) China. It was taken and belonged to them…
      I've often agreed about this. Eastern China under the Japanese WJW Régime should be a Nationalist core province (I think not communist, the CCP never controlled it). Similarly, Prague in the German Empire should be non-core at least and preferably Czechoslovak core province. Glad to see somebody agrees! :thumbsup:
      Mechanically, I think it would be possible for a game to be set with occupied cores. After all, they can be set with unbalanced starting units.
      I don't think you should make things core though. I think that would violate the point of core provinces.

Carking the 6th wrote:

Yeah sure Germany could core parts of Poland, but could Ethiopia incorporate East Africa? [...] 20 years won’t be long enough for assimilation, not to mention that you’re incorporating parts in just a few years after war.
      The Dutch had Indonesia for three centuries in 1940. Is it a core province region in 1939? No. Should it be? Also no.

Carking the 6th wrote:

They didn’t assimilate Poland. The language and culture was still Polish. Murdering all the people and replacing them takes ages,[...] Germany could not turn everyone in Poland into a German, or murder them all and replace them into 20 years, gaining their resource production..
      Even if this served a genuine purpose in a WW2 strategy game, it would be a horrific thing to depict in a recreational medium. I don't want to play a disgusting game where you have the option to commit genocide.
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lord Crayfish ().

• Core provinces and non-core provinces act almost identically. If the morale is too low, they may revolt. Your units can heal on them, and they can produce. The only thing is that the resource production of those provinces is really bad. If a province is bordering your core provinces, has a ton of buildings, and has 100% morale, don't you think that it should be incorporated into the homeland of your nation since it is so similar? Why on Earth would you have to build so much more to get more resource production. Even after your core provinces are bombed they will still produce more than a non-core province at 100% morale. Now I'm not saying you should be able to immediately incorporate whole countries, but it's a pain in the ass to have almost useless land even when you spent so many resources to increase it's viability.