10-day Solo Speedrun | Ukraine in Clash of Nations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Claudio NVKP wrote:

Grozny to Lisbon in 10 days.
      It shall be done, Lord Sidious.

SamPGS_17 wrote:

Nah, I feel like doing a full play through - if I get too busy or don’t feel like it anymore then I will stop putting so much detail in. I don’t mind if no one reads it as long as it’s a record of what I’ve done! That being said, I would like this 10-day speedrun to become a popular thing - although it’s true I’m doubtful it will, sadly.
      Yes, unfortunately it prolly won't be more than a passion project for the both of us, at least for a while. Still, if it means it will improve my horrible stats and better my knowledge of the game, then I will continue testing this theory.

SamPGS_17 wrote:

If I have to sacrifice units, I will - I need to expand fast.
      You make a good point. I am hesitant to adopt this mentality, but it makes sense. I do terribly dislike the wasted resources it represents tho.
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

Claudio NVKP wrote:

SamPGS_17 wrote:

Nah, I feel like doing a full play through - if I get too busy or don’t feel like it anymore then I will stop putting so much detail in. I don’t mind if no one reads it as long as it’s a record of what I’ve done! That being said, I would like this 10-day speedrun to become a popular thing - although it’s true I’m doubtful it will, sadly.
      Yes, unfortunately it prolly won't be more than a passion project for the both of us, at least for a while. Still, if it means it will improve my horrible stats and better my knowledge of the game, then I will continue testing this theory.

SamPGS_17 wrote:

You make a good point. I am hesitant to adopt this mentality, but it makes sense. I do terribly dislike the wasted resources it represents tho.
      Tbh there’s no other way to play - we can’t play safe or long-term so we have to take some level of risk.
      Have a blessed day <3
    • SamPGS_17 wrote:

_Pyth0n_ wrote:

Claudio NVKP wrote:

SamPGS_17 wrote:

SamPGS_17 wrote:

Tbh there’s no other way to play - we can’t play safe or long-term so we have to take some level of risk.
      True, but my mentality is that thoroughness may prevail over speed; we shall see with the results from your game ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

o7
    • Nah, speed and quickly invading people is more important than waiting and planning things out. You saw how well Germany did in ww2! Especially the USSR! They didn’t even need to plan for logistics or anything!

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

Nah, speed and quickly invading people is more important than waiting and planning things out. You saw how well Germany did in ww2! Especially the USSR! They didn’t even need to plan for logistics or anything!
      Instead of a 10-day victory, Germany got a 10-day ass-kicking. I plan for the former, not the latter.

o7
    • Okay, time for day 3. I don’t expect it to need as much detail, but again we’ll see!

———————————————————————————————————————

I am now first, even including the coalition of Italy, Turkey, and Germany. No one else apart from the players seen in this screenshot has over 50 victory points.

As you can see, I am progressing slightly slower than yesterday, with my VPs only increasing by 40 compared to yesterday’s 50. I expect this trend to continue - I am only set to take 2 or 3 cities by day 4 I think. Here is an overview of my land so far:

As you can see, I’ve taken almost all of Caucasus by now. The only province Caucasus has left is occupied by a stack of one medium tank and two infantry. I am at the moment compiling a stack which should be able to kill it and take the province. When it’s stacked it should look like this: (the only units you can’t see are two armoured cars at approx 80% health)

As for Romania, things are going well - I found their medium tank, stacked along with 2 infantry. The stack I used to deal with it was made up of one infantry level 2; one motorised infantry level 2; three light tanks level 1; four armoured cars level 1. That stack is now continuing through Romania to take Debrecen, Budapest, and come round to just north of the Yugoslav capital of Belgrad.

In Bulgaria, a singular infantry unit took back Sofia, so I’m sending back my original 10-stack to deal with it. That 10-stack lost some units, and it is now made up of fewer low-level infantry. This is expected - we will see whether the economic boost was worth it to essentially sacrifice these units.

Talking of my economy, it’s doing much better than I had originally expected! I can’t provide a screenshot of the full economy, as I’m on mobile at the moment, but here is the full report as it is approx 4 hours into day 3. If you’re not @_Pyth0n_, feel free to skip the economy and building reports - this is mostly so we can look at this speedrun and see what is viable in terms of economy for Ukraine specifically, and so we can compare different speedruns. Python, sorry for making you read this - you did ask for detailed economy reports! If you don’t wanna read it you don’t have to.

-Money | 2,389/hour; 59,077/day (current stock: 7.1k)
      -Food | 514/hour; 13,229/day (current stock: 1.7k)
      -Goods | 329/hour; 8,723/day (current stock: 2.0k)
      -Manpower | 456/hour; 12,643/day (current stock: 620)
      -Metal | 558/hour; 13,817/day (current stock: 8.1k)
      -Oil | 496/hour; 12,398/day (current stock: 4.5k)
      -Rare materials | 391/hour; 9,542/day (current stock: 6.3k)

This is absolutely fantastic - I predicted that I would primarily be short of food, manpower, oil, and goods. So far I haven’t encountered too many problems with my relative lack of goods, although I intend to build some industry in my core goods city just in case. My abundance of food is unexpected and welcome - my industry paid off. Manpower will always be low - I am building a few recruiting stations to hopefully replenish my troops. Metal production is fantastic, and rare production is fine because I always have too many rares.

Here is also a full report of buildings in my core provinces: (cities in bold, provinces with no buildings not mentioned)

Odessa (rares):
      -Level 1 barracks
      -Level 1 industry

Kiev (oil):
      -Level 1 tank plant
      -Level 2 recruiting station
      -Capital

Dnepropetrovsk (oil):
      -Level 2 local industry

Kharkov (metal):
      -Level 1 aircraft factory
      -Level 1 industry
      -Level 1 recruiting station

Kursk (metal):
      -Level 3 industry

Poltava (goods):
      -Level 2 tank plant
      -Level 3 recruiting station

Voroshilovgrad (food):
      -Level 2 barracks
      -Level 2 industry

Sumy (food):
      -Level 3 local industry

Mariupol (manpower):
      -Level 1 airstrip

I could’ve also done a list of how much industry I’ve built etc, how much it all cost, and whatever - but I won’t. Python if you want to you can do that yourself! Maybe we can do it sometime BEFORE another speedrun attempt so we can get in as much preparation as possible.

Okay, onto diplomacy! If you’ve skipped the economy bits and want to keep reading about the game, start again here…
      Germany finally responded to my request to split Poland between us. He says that he will, but I’ll have to wait until he and Italy invade Yugoslavia. So far they haven’t touched Yugoslavia - I have no idea how long they’ll take to do this. If they don’t invade by the time I’ve cleaned up Romania, then I’ll go for the Yugoslav capital myself, and maybe the rest of it too. It’s got brilliant geography for my purpose - lots of plains, especially on the border with the Romani, and a few hills and forests. Only two mountainous provinces, both bordering the sea.

Germany, Italy, and Yugoslavia:

A zoom in of Yugoslavia’s terrain: (i have selected the army I may use to take Belgrad)

Finland messaged me - he wanted me to join his coalition. I respectfully declined, citing my reasons - I claimed I wanted to wait a few days to see how things stand on the map and players before I make a decision. In reality, of course, I won’t be joining any coalition - I’ll crush them all under my iron fist! All shall bow before Ukraine!

I messaged Turkey yesterday just to check in, as I had just taken the Caucasian land bordering Turkey. He hasn’t responded after 24 hours, so I’m not too worried about him.

My current research: (I have also researched level 2 interceptor, but not upgraded any units, everything else not shown is level 1)

I have upgraded some of my units - I believe most of them I’ve already shown. If I remember, I’ll edit this post and include a list of all my armies. For now I’ve got to run to eat so rushing this finish.

As always, I appreciate everyone’s input.
      Have a blessed day <3
    • Alright, you have convinced me: Ukraine is definitely the better choice for the speedrun attempts. Sweden's terrain is just too much of a detriment, altho my third attempt is doing quite well (mostly because Finland is inactive ^^). I will compile the necessary data for Ukraine to see how optimal the gameplay can be mad, but so far, no major mistakes have been made by Sam, so his playthru may be sufficient as a guide for those who attempt the run.

Also Sam, your food production is off-the-charts! How did you manage to pull that off? The level 3 rural industry and level 2 city factory have proven their worth, but from where did you get all the metal and oil from? AC level 2 research is sorta cheap, but producing LTs and ACs is pretty expensive in terms of those resources. Not to mention ints taking some of the oil.

Also, you might want to stop producing units and focus on upgrading now. MPs gonna be your weak spot, as you are awash in resources (I'm still baffled), so a couple recruiting stations might go a long way on day 1 in further testing.

o7
    • @_Pyth0n_ not on PC so can’t quote bits of text, will just respond here.

For your first paragraph - appreciate it, although I know I haven’t played perfectly. And yes - Sweden could possibly be good if they had more countries to invade, but they’re only bordered by Finland, and then they’re limited by the Baltic nations. I do hope this play through can become a guide for future speedrun attempts!

To be honest, yeah, I was so surprised about my food! I’ll always be a little low in it, as it is needed for motorised infantry as well as recruiting stations. I think it’s basically because I had an excess of oil, metal, and rares - so I could actually afford to build industry/local industry in my core province. I was also helped by taking two food cities relatively early.

As for my metal and oil? I think that local industry is underrated. I already had two rural metal core provinces, plus my city, which is already good - that plus industry being built AND conquering cities has proved a potent combination. I also suspect my lack of manpower affects this though - if I had unlimited manpower I could’ve spammed so many LTs! I have got 4 ints btw, but only level 1. They’ve been sorta useful… idk if I’m gonna scrap them in favour of attack bombers in future attempts, that way I can kill newbies’ medium tanks more easily. I may even be able to produce attack bombers and ints! We’ll see. It’s a learning experience.

Agreed about recruiting stations - in another attempt I think I’ll focus on industry in food and oil provinces, as my metal and rare materials will be okay for the first couple of days without industry. That way, I’ll increase my food production, meaning I can build more recruiting stations earlier. Whatever I do, MP will be the limiting factor.

As for focusing on upgrading, as you said, I’m awash in resources! For now, I’ll focus on production of LTs and ACs due to my excess metal and oil. In a day or two I will pause production to allow a mass upgrade, but I am losing a few of my original infantry stacks - went down from a peak of 40 units to 34 at the moment.

Appreciate the input as always.
      Have a blessed day <3
    • SamPGS_17 wrote:

They’ve been sorta useful… idk if I’m gonna scrap them in favour of attack bombers in future attempts, that way I can kill newbies’ medium tanks more easily. I may even be able to produce attack bombers and ints! We’ll see. It’s a learning experience.
      Very intriguing idea. The sad part about planes is that the bombers take so long to research, so you won't have them until day 2 at the very least in enough numbers. Then again, you have the spare resources, so maybe a strat might be to build ints until the att bomber is made, then spam those with the resources you have. MP will be annoying tho.

As for the rest of your points, no further discussion is necessary as it would just be restating the same point, and since I agree will all of the points anyways.

o7
    • Sorry all who’s following this, I’m super tired plus I had something on this evening so no daily update. A quick summary is that I’ve taken most of Yugoslavia, and since it’s day 4 the military reports show me and Germany both have 6% armies, Germany is 1st and I’m 2nd. I’m on 170 victory points. I have also invaded Poland with the help of Finland. My economy is doing fine, manpower production is up!

Will hopefully post one of the usual detailed reports tomorrow. Apologies again!
      Have a blessed day <3
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

Damn Germany!
      It’s alright, I believe I have about double his economy and almost double his victory points, I’m also doing better in terms of units lost per war than him, despite me just absolutely sacrificing everything. In the next couple of days I’m gonna completely soar past him, and hopefully take him and Italy out in one swoop, perhaps with the help of Finland. I’ll then go for the rest of Eastern Europe, including the Russian Empire and Cossack Republic, before heading towards Turkey, Egypt, and North Africa. I’m hoping to have achieved all this by day 9, and then I’ll be maybe 100 victory points away from a solo win. As I have said, I don’t expect to get the 10-day win on my first try, but perhaps next time as Ukraine once I’ve solidified my strategy!
      Have a blessed day <3
    • Okay, so it's time for another report! Apologies for the lateness of this one, I appreciate it's been a while.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I won't include the military report since I did that in a short message earlier in this thread. It's now Day 6, and things have been chundering along quite nicely. Here is the leaderboard:
      As you can see, I'm doing fine, and certainly ahead of the coalition. However, I need to pick up the pace a bit - I need an average of 7 or 8 cities taken per day if I want to get to 626 victory points by the end of day 10.

Just to make things clear - I'm counting 10 days as how many VPs I have at the start of day 11. This is because at that point I will have played for a full 10 days - if I counted the victory points at the beginning of day 10, I will have only played for a full 9 days.

Okay, so in the last couple of days I have taken almost all of Communist Russia, except for two rural provinces near the border of Finland which I'll leave alone and hope he conquers soon. I am on very good terms with Finland - I was just about to invade Communist Russia, when he asked me to 'save him'. So I told him, like a good ally, I would take Communist Russia - they were at war with each other. It must be noted that Communist Russia was AI, so I took all its cities pretty much within a day. At the same time, I was able to finish off Yugoslavia and Poland (with the help of Germany and Italy), and I even managed to sneak in a cheeky Blitzkrieg of Albania! Here is the map as it stands:
      I'm relatively happy with the position of my armies. My only concern is how long it'll take to conquer Eastern Europe, Finland, and Sweden (possibly Norway too), and then get back in time to conquer Turkey, Germany, and possibly Egypt and Italy (not sure how many VPs I'll require) before the end of day 10. I'm considering utilising infrastructure - it's either that or forced march, which I would hate to have to do because it decreases my armies health and damage capabilities more than they already are. However, I'm also low in goods! This is quite a dilemma.

I have just commenced the invasion of the Russian Empire - it should be over, bar a couple of huge northern rural provinces, in under 24 hours. This will advance me 50 VPs further towards victory!
      I am also preparing for the invasion of the Cossack Republic, which I've put off until now because I'd hoped either Caucasus or the Russian Empire would invade it. Unfortunate - it is Axis, but it stands in my way. I'm hoping that some units involved in the invasion of the Russian Empire will switch to come down south, and invade into the north of the Cossack Republic. Here is my invasion preparation: (with my main army highlighted)

Argh, I have to eat! Okay, so I'll just leave you with some images of the newspaper economy reports, my economy as it stands, and all my units currently. I didn't take a screenshot of research, because my screenshot of all my armies covers everything I've researched. Everything except interceptors - those I've researched to level 3, just not upgraded mine yet.

As always, I welcome and value everyone's input.
      Have a blessed day <3
    • Probably beat you take out the coalition ASAP. The thing about them is that they have large countries, and that if you take say the core part of Germany, the rest will probably be empty and easy to take. It’s also best to take them out before their greater resource production catches up to you. You should be able to quickly wipe Germany and Italy out in one fell swoop, and then take Iberia after.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • My advice: don't bother tryna conquer Turkey. In the map it seems they are inactive (are they?) and even if they aren't, the mountains and Black Sea are big hinderances to conquering fast. I would've suggested you skip invading Russia with your main force, blitz Germany and Italy with your main forces, told Finland to attack Russia, backstabbed them with a secondary force you either split from the main force (if you can spare them) or make new ones. Adding up all the VPs that is 230 VP, meaning you'd only need 80 VP, which you can prolly salvage from Finland in time (the math was done mentally, so it might be inaccurate lol).

o7
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

Taking out Spain as well during that should hell make things easier.
      Spain might take too long; mountains and all, only for 60VP. Prolly best to save for last only if there is time.

o7