More Doctrines

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• More Doctrines

So, I'm not going to propose exactly what doctrines I want down to the very granular detail. I've done that before, as have many others. Mostly, with this thread, I want to highlight the importance of adding new doctrines in the first place.

The game's four existing doctrines are fine and well, but it leads to a lot of situations where entire continents are (largely) mono-doctrine and makes the game incredibly stale. Every so often I return to this game, along with my friends. We drop some cash, get premium, join a few games and then we get bored. Almost always, the reason for the boredom is universally a lack of doctrines. In large games, sometimes you'll never even see all the doctrines, and end up having to fight one or two across a dozen different adjacent countries.

And it's not like the interwar and Second World War period is devoid of inspiration for new doctrines. Simply splitting the Allied doctrine to U.S. and Commonwealth-based doctrines - and creating the sprites to fill in the gaps - would do a lot to break up the monotony. In Homefront games, for example, it's largely just Axis and Allied. If there was Commonwealth up in Canada, U.S. in the states, and Axis down in Mexico, Central America, and South America, that's already an improvement.

And, no, I'm not asking for every country to be represented with its own doctrine. That'd be silly. But things like "Commonwealth" could be applied to India, African colonies, Canada, Britain, Australia, and a few others. A U.S. Doctrine -- call it "Industrial," maybe -- could be applied to the U.S. states themselves, the Philippines, and maybe even some of the Chinese states that historically benefit from U.S. collaboration and lend-lease. That would keep the entire continent of Asia from being basically Pan-Asian, which just uses Japanese unit artwork.

A hypothetical French doctrine could be applied to France, itself, as well as all of its African colonies to diversify the continent. Even Yugoslavia could probably take it since they bought into some French equipment in the interwar years.

There could even be an International doctrine to represent all the cooky minor industries during the time period, and could literally be plastered all over the world as a generic doctrine to fill gaps and diversify minor nations.

Again, I don't want to go into the granular discussion of exact units and bonuses. I and others have already done that. But the existing four doctrines, some of which don't even appear on all maps, could really use some spicing up and would really help retain players like me who just get bored of every game being the same.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Daniel_Phelps ().

• Personally I like it the way it is, but 1) I haven't been playing for long enough to get sick of the existing doctrines and 2) that could just be me being resistant to change as usual. Splitting up Allied would actually not be a bad idea (can we change the doctrine flag to the Union Jack please?) but you'd need to have something important game balance-related to distinguish them from each other, and Allied already exists partly to avoid the extremes the others go to.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta
      A.K.A. "The Backstab Person"

Pan-Asian is a better doctrine than Axis when played correctly and you cannot change my mind.

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
      CoW Forum Players! Unite!
    • Lady Aragosta wrote:

Personally I like it the way it is, but 1) I haven't been playing for long enough to get sick of the existing doctrines and 2) that could just be me being resistant to change as usual. Splitting up Allied would actually not be a bad idea (can we change the doctrine flag to the Union Jack please?) but you'd need to have something important game balance-related to distinguish them from each other, and Allied already exists partly to avoid the extremes the others go to.
      Maybe different variations? Like European allied uses Fr*nch and British things, has an emblem mixing both and is better on the sea and defense (like stronger ordnance) while American allied keeps the current stuff with a bigger forces on tanks and air? German axis can have a slight speed and armored bonus while a Mediterranean axis gets a naval and terrain advantage. Sea based Asian countries (Japan and places occupied by them. Like Korea Indonesia and Manchuria$ vs land based ones like China and mainland ASEAN. That sort of stuff. Not exactly like this but you get what I mean.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate

The post was edited 1 time, last by Carking the 6th ().

• You would dare combine the Fr*nch and the British? Heresy!

How would one incorporate this into the existing doctrine balance? There's already the Axis-Allied-Comintern sliding scale, and Pan-Asian sort of off to one side but in practice somewhere between Allied and Comintern. Would one of the new Axis ones have to combine Allied and Axis, and if so what would its defining feature be?
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

Pan-Asian is a better doctrine than Axis when played correctly and you cannot change my mind.

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • I was thinking that they’d have variations between them, with some bonuses here and there but keeping the core of a doctrine. Maybe one would have stronger terrain bonuses, one have more speed, one have less cost, ect. Maybe add drawbacks to it all as well.

• That sort of undermines the idea of having five doctrines, though. They ought to be sufficiently different from each other for it to be a meaningful decision for a noob who knows nothing about them apart from the one-word description.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • Lady Aragosta wrote:

That sort of undermines the idea of having five doctrines, though. They ought to be sufficiently different from each other for it to be a meaningful decision for a noob who knows nothing about them apart from the one-word description.
      True. But I’m just spitballing here. Fr*nco British union will always be watching.

• wat
      "Hate, union, freedom, justice, equality, war, peace, violence, blood. It is but a perfect mixture on destiny and our lives. It is for the mass we trust and for the mass we contribute, or to selfishly to personal greed we follow, it is up to your choices on what mixture you want. My mixture is a bit of everything with madness and humility in it, the virtues will black and sinful, just like I per say." - Kaiser Luther Ernst Willienburg.
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

Fr*nco British union
      This is cursed, even taking into account changing relations in the 20th century.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • the french and the british hate each other for centuries...
      the idea of a possible Union is more curse than africa being stable
      "Hate, union, freedom, justice, equality, war, peace, violence, blood. It is but a perfect mixture on destiny and our lives. It is for the mass we trust and for the mass we contribute, or to selfishly to personal greed we follow, it is up to your choices on what mixture you want. My mixture is a bit of everything with madness and humility in it, the virtues will black and sinful, just like I per say." - Kaiser Luther Ernst Willienburg.
    • KaiserOfAnonymous wrote:

the french and the british hate each other for centuries...
      the idea of a possible Union is more curse than africa being stable
      That changed with WWI ; the Franco-British Union was a real design early in WWI, which obviously quickly got shelved.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-British_Union
    • And in ww2 when Fr*nce was about to collapse to keep them in the fight. The Fr*nch government decided that they didn’t want to controlled with the British and ended up joining the Nazis in Vichy France. Chad De Gaulle though…