Civilian Casualties

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Civilian Casualties

The war casualties report in the DE needs to reflect the strategic damage inflicted/sustained during wars by including civilian casualties

Currently , strategic damage ( which is damage against buildings) is just reflected by the number of buildings damaged in a province and by not including civilian casualties I have to say this greatly undermines the strategic warfare aspect in this game.

The civilian casualty calculation will depend on : Strategic Damage of the offensive unit used eg Rocket and the Level of fortification in the province , so in a prvince with no forts the number of civilian casualties increases as the strategic damage of the weapon used is higher. Forts will lower the rate of this increase in casualties. A random factor might also be used in the calculation
    • Same thing goes for units: the more damage they sustain, the lower their morale gets, yet we have a record for military casualties but not for civilian casualties.

When you throw a bomb/rocket/nuke at an undefended province with only an industrial complex (due to a rocket being produced in the province etc) , the output is pretty much the same : the buildings get damaged and the morale does down. Having a record for civilian casualties will clearly differentiate between the three weapons used. Unlike S1914, this game has much more emphasis on strategic warfare and hence this suggestion will greatly complement such priority.
    • I have to ask is knowing how many civilians die important? Quite frankly I dont care if trillions die during a campaign as long as my unit effectiveness is still above 80 and provinces gain some everyday, the numbers reflect how much damage the country took during the war, and if you ask me as long as I win I don't care about the numbers.

Once the numbers get too high it means to stop fighting and try to consolidate your gains, other than that numbers have little value other than see the war in a bigger picture.
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day
    • I have already pointed out the importance of a record for civilian casualties report: it helps define ,albeit virtually , the strategic value of weapons.

Also, while it may not be that important for the two warring parties, it will be of considerable importance to other worldwide countries as it helps them guess what type of weapons are being utilized in the ongoing war.

Yugoslaia vs Italy

Civilian Casualties : 7,750

France vs Germany

Civilian Casualties: 802,000

For example: As the leader of the Soviet Union in this game where Spain is at war with Italy and France is against Germany, and using the civilian casualty report, I can figure out that small infantry/ tank skirmishes are taking place in the Italian war, where as strategic-high tech weapons such as rockets/RGs/ BBs are being exercised in the German-French war. What next? It will be wise to deploy rocket interceptors,anti airunits and high lvl forts along any shared border with Germany/France

The post was edited 2 times, last by GeneralPhara ().

• GeneralPhara wrote:

I have already pointed out the importance of a record for civilian casualties report: it helps define ,albeit virtually , the strategic value of weapons.

Also, while it may not be that important for the two warring parties, it will be of considerable importance to other worldwide countries as it helps them guess what type of weapons are being utilized in the ongoing war.

Yugoslaia vs Italy

Civilian Casualties : 7,750

France vs Germany

Civilian Casualties: 802,000

For example: As the leader of the Soviet Union in this game where Spain is at war with Italy and France is against Germany, and using the civilian casualty report, I can figure out that small infantry/ tank skirmishes are taking place in the Italian war, where as strategic-high tech weapons such as rockets/RGs/ BBs are being exercised in the German-French war. What next? It will be wise to deploy rocket interceptors,anti airunits and high lvl forts along any shared border with Germany/France
      ........ I would have killed so many civilians in my UK game vs Italy and Germany. I'm holding them off by using BBs and Rockets.....
      If the king doesn't move, then his subjects won’t follow.

Do you know why snow is white? Because it forgot what color it was.

Strength that knows no boundaries is merely violence.

• I know I might end up sounding like a monster, but you could have fun setting up a competition to see who can kill the most civilians in the least amount of time if this was implemented. It would be super fun.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• Civilian casualties dosent tell what weapons the war use, just tell how many people die, it's a guessing game of sorts.
      The way you explain it is by looking at the death rate you can find out what weapons used or rather guess, sorry buddy we already have that it's called province morale without the numbers.

Treat the army casualty same to your civilian casualty idea, that way you know which country took a beating.
      "Victory needs no explenation, defeat allows none"
      -imperium thought of the day
    • Damage against buildings means damage against civilians, unless you assume that alliens are working and living in such buildings, so yes a civ death toll can be used to predict the type of weapons being used. High civ death toll = Weapons with high strategic damage

So lets just continue to assume that provinces are nothing but allien storehouses being guarded by military units, and when an atomic bomb falls on such structures, the morale of the allien pop plummets and then raises back in a few days time, nice concept indeed xD