Is SP Artillery OP?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wait, 2.0? Did I miss something?

To answer your question, yes it’s still used, but artillery is preferred. This is due to the higher number of levels that artillery has, as well as the fact that ordnance foundries are often better than secret labs. Also, artillery usually is more useful, as infantry can be easily destroyed, but not armoured units.
      Looking for improvement.
      :tumbleweed:
    • JASLOLY wrote:

Wait, 2.0? Did I miss something?

To answer your question, yes it’s still used, but artillery is preferred. This is due to the higher number of levels that artillery has, as well as the fact that ordnance foundries are often better than secret labs. Also, artillery usually is more useful, as infantry can be easily destroyed, but not armoured units.
      Are you confusing SP artillery with rocket artillery?
      SP or self-propelled arty is gun artillery mounted on motor chassis for mobility. It is unlocked from regular gun artillery and can be constructed in an ordnance foundry. It deals best damage to armoured units.
      Rocket artillery is a secret weapon which deals best damage to infantry and is built using secret lab.
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • SPA is expensive and overlaps in resources with a key ground unit that's almost always necessary, AA/SPAA. It's not OP--if anything, it's probably a bad unit. Only Allies considers using it, and even then I think it's pretty rare.

I think it was more OP in 1.0 because it had better damage vs unarmored iirc, before they split SPA and SPRA
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

JASLOLY wrote:

Wait, 2.0? Did I miss something?

Are you confusing SP artillery with rocket artillery?SP or self-propelled arty is gun artillery mounted on motor chassis for mobility. It is unlocked from regular gun artillery and can be constructed in an ordnance foundry. It deals best damage to armoured units.
      Rocket artillery is a secret weapon which deals best damage to infantry and is built using secret lab.
      Oh wait, I thought it was SPRA. Sorry.
      :wallbash
      Looking for improvement.
      :tumbleweed:
    • I don't really understand why people call the units who are considered to be "mobile" to actually be mobile. Take arty as an example; lets compare Pan-Asian arty for the very simple reason that I have a Pan-Asian game open.

Regular arty at level 4 has 49 speed, while SP arty at level 2 (available on the same day) has 66 speed. Sounds nice, eh? No, it doesn't. Because SP gets a speed penalty of 25% in rough terrain, actual speed drops there to ~49.5 which is barely faster than towed arty. Since (rough estimation by me) only about 35% of terrain is plains, there isn't much speed difference at all. Still you pay the ridiculous res prices and especially BUILD TIMES for them that really makes them not really worthwhile.

BTW, ever wondered why you actually consider your Medium Tank to be a mobile unit? Because, in rough terrain, it usually gets overtaken by marching infantry...

In this game, only armored cars, light tanks, and motorized infantry are truly mobile units.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • From what I know, the SP units are kinda worthless. Unless you have a strong enough army to blitz through hundreds of miles in a day, most fronts stay relatively close in area so having expensive SP units becomes a hassle over standard artillery and aa guns. I think I made one SP AA but it was too late to put it to the test, it was way faster than normal aa guns but bot much better considering how expensive it usually is for a whole fleet.
    • I love regular arty almost as much as Clint Eastwood up there, but there are other factors to consider.

Regular arty has been nerfed, repeatedly. It's not as good as it used to be. We're still used to building it out of habit. But it is worth reconsidering.

Allied foot units are unbearably slow. Pan Asian, sure. Allied, please no, I can't take it.

Allied SP arty has additional bonuses that make it more attractive.

SP arty uses oil which is dirt cheap in the mid to late game games. And it doesn't use food, which stays expensive all game.

SP arty can shoot and scoot more units. Regular arty is easier to rush.

SP arty gets a plains bonus, which is nice when you're fighting on plains.

Doesn't mean you should use it everywhere or that it should replace regular arty all the time. Nuance. Balance. Some games call for SP arty. Some games don't.

Over time, I've started skipping regular arty in many games because it's just too much buck for the bang. The 1.0 days of arty and SP arty ruling the map are over. Take a look at the cost and really think about what you get for all those goods and all that manpower.
    • MarshalOfVictory89 wrote:

Taffyta Muttonfudge wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

At this point armored cars, infantry and some medium or light tanks alone are enough for me to dominate some maps.
      In my Maine game (which I'm dragging on for shits and giggles) I use stacks of AC, LT, and minf. Along with tacs for support, it's almost unbeatable.
      AC+medium tanks+intsAnd you are gone
      I do have arty and ints incase you're wondering. And most of that round has been fighting bots anyway.
      Stay Sweet!
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I don't really understand why people call the units who are considered to be "mobile" to actually be mobile. Take arty as an example; lets compare Pan-Asian arty for the very simple reason that I have a Pan-Asian game open.

Regular arty at level 4 has 49 speed, while SP arty at level 2 (available on the same day) has 66 speed. Sounds nice, eh? No, it doesn't. Because SP gets a speed penalty of 25% in rough terrain, actual speed drops there to ~49.5 which is barely faster than towed arty. Since (rough estimation by me) only about 35% of terrain is plains, there isn't much speed difference at all. Still you pay the ridiculous res prices and especially BUILD TIMES for them that really makes them not really worthwhile.

BTW, ever wondered why you actually consider your Medium Tank to be a mobile unit? Because, in rough terrain, it usually gets overtaken by marching infantry...

In this game, only armored cars, light tanks, and motorized infantry are truly mobile units.
      I could not agree more! They actually gave SP units more speed to compensate for this but it still does not help much imo.

The sheer numbers you can achieve with regular artillery makes it more useful imo
    • Klusey wrote:

I could not agree more! They actually gave SP units more speed to compensate for this but it still does not help much imo.
      The sheer numbers you can achieve with regular artillery makes it more useful imo
      I tend to agree except in Allied. They're so bloody slow.
      The buffs they get on top makes it worth the extra cost too.
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks