Pinned Quick Start Guide

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Hey Patton,

      Nice guide, i like the graphics. Not sure if you are still working on it or not, but I noticed 2 things.

      - Page 8:


      I Patton wrote:

      By now the #1 Research slot (used for researching level 1 Infantry) is available for the next research item..

      4) Start research of level 1 Light Tank (found on “ARMOR” page of Research Tech Tree)
      [Note: this research will take 31 hrs. (1 day + 7 hrs.)]
      You can only start light tank research after the armored car research is finished. I suggest to put the interceptor in the research slot after finishing the infantery research.

      - The second point is that I'm missing some advice on how to start of with building up your economy. Like start to build level 1 infrastructure in all provinces with IC after the barracks are finished and infrastructure in 3-4 other non-urban provinces that produce something valuable.
    • Azkazan wrote:

      Hey Patton,

      Nice guide, i like the graphics. Not sure if you are still working on it or not, but I noticed 2 things.

      - Page 8:


      I Patton wrote:

      By now the #1 Research slot (used for researching level 1 Infantry) is available for the next research item..

      4) Start research of level 1 Light Tank (found on “ARMOR” page of Research Tech Tree)
      [Note: this research will take 31 hrs. (1 day + 7 hrs.)]
      You can only start light tank research after the armored car research is finished. I suggest to put the interceptor in the research slot after finishing the infantery research.
      - The second point is that I'm missing some advice on how to start of with building up your economy. Like start to build level 1 infrastructure in all provinces with IC after the barracks are finished and infrastructure in 3-4 other non-urban provinces that produce something valuable.
      Thanks for reading and your comments. I added an Edit note to the Guide so it now reads:

      4) Start research of level 1 Light Tank (found on “ARMOR” page of Research Tech Tree)
      [Edit: ...as soon as the prerequisite 30 min. Armor Car research (which you started in #2 above) is finished.]

      [Note: the level 1 Light Tank research will take 31 hrs. (1 day + 7 hrs.)]

      By now all the Barracks you started constructing should be completed.


      As for your second point, I *was* going to take the Guide a little further but came to the conclusion doing so would be more controversial or irrelevant because:

      1) I haven't come up with a generic continuation for the Clash of Nations scenario (which is where the new player would be "deposited" by the Tutorial) that would work in all situations and for all countries,

      2) To deal with #1 above, the Guide would have to be written less in a Step-by-Step format and more in a Case-by-Case format and I didn't want to change the format half-way through. It would be better to create a separate Guide for various situations and priorities; at least to the extent that it wouldn't be (too) confusing for the new player.

      3) The Guide actually evolved from what I had originally intended to be a better FAQ (with screenshots, etc.). I think I'd rather go back and do that since my intent was to help new players get through their first 48 hrs. of CoW; so they'd want to stick with it (and, thereby, help decrease the drop-out rate). I'd also like to put together a guide for High Command.
    • so what you are telling me building up my economy in my entire country is wrong idea. I usually try to build infrstructe all over my country to try to boost my eco while I build Infantry and invade my natural expand, like if I was south united states I would automatically invade cuba. Instead I should rush Light Tanks and slowly build my eco with my army? basically I am trying to boom my economy trying to buy time by research infantry and mass producing them. I think this is why 12-15 light tanks destroyed me early game. I got hit hard.

      it is around day 8 or 9 when I begin to make my light tanks that are already level 2 or 3? because I noticed everyone uses light tanks so I assumed they are the OP unit to use now.

      I am sorry I am very new to this game but I love it, I thoguht maybe economy boom would be worth it in the end to pump out those units..... but it takes time... also I want to learn how to play right I think its gonna take me awhile to get it done but I am going to try to push lgiht tanks and just build a few eco buildings along the way in resource rich areas. I am just a little confused at times on what to do. I read your guide but reading and radioactively doing it is different.
      PapaSmurf86 - Ingame
    • Light tanks are not overpowered in terms of strength per upkeep and build costs, but they are in terms of MP and build time which is often a factor early on. And they are also fast which is their main advantage. Many use them in concert with air to advance to front more quickly with their speed which isn't a bad strategy in many circumstances. However, strategies are still evolving and that simple TAC/INT/LT strategy isn't necessarily the way to go. Every country and scenario is different. What resources do you make more of oil or food? That is important. It also depends on what kind of game you are playing and who you are playing against and what their strategy is. For me a decent general target build is no INF except maybe first day before research is done. A tank or two per stack and shoot for 3 stacks with 8 each of ART, AA, INF. and a few AC/LT or whatever else you can stack it with. In the "meantime" build your INT/TAC. Sitting back and building your res and army isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it depends on the scenario you are in.
    • Papasmurf29, like you I am new to this particular game. Yes, build your economy selectively where it makes sense, while building tanks, fighters and infantry early. Fighters will give you a chance if rushed early as air superiority is important.

      How you expand will depend on the situation on the ground. In your example of Southern US and Cuba, that is a good expansion if you have an alliance with Northern US, without the alliance it becomes a question of whether you have the spare troops to support operations there for 1 to 2 days. (I happen to be playing Southern US in my first game and did take Cuba early, but only after securing the alliance).

      Infrastructure is great in mountains with resources to speed troop movement, while boosting production. Also consider bumping at start industrial complexes from level 1 to 2 as it is cheaper to upgrade than to build from scratch, particularly if you are short a resource produced there.

      Good luck
      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

      "Do, or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
    • Rare materials is not necessary the shortage at the start of game, Normally at the start of the game you get a certain amount of it which can last sometimes before you actually face a shortage. At the start of a game resources are more map dependent. Some map got more of this and less of that. Usually goods is the one the most sourced after at the start of the game then as time goes Metal come in. It's very difficult to say exactly what resource will be shortage at the start of the game. I would say it's map dependent...
    • ulun64 wrote:

      Rare materials is not necessary the shortage at the start of game, Normally at the start of the game you get a certain amount of it which can last sometimes before you actually face a shortage. At the start of a game resources are more map dependent. Some map got more of this and less of that. Usually goods is the one the most sourced after at the start of the game then as time goes Metal come in. It's very difficult to say exactly what resource will be shortage at the start of the game. I would say it's map dependent...
      Play games with me, you'll quickly change your opinions.
    • I Patton wrote:

      ulun64 wrote:

      Rare materials is not necessary the shortage at the start of game, Normally at the start of the game you get a certain amount of it which can last sometimes before you actually face a shortage. At the start of a game resources are more map dependent. Some map got more of this and less of that. Usually goods is the one the most sourced after at the start of the game then as time goes Metal come in. It's very difficult to say exactly what resource will be shortage at the start of the game. I would say it's map dependent...
      Play games with me, you'll quickly change your opinions.
      How does play a game with you change the resources on the map? BTW, you are a retired Hero so do you still play? I only play the normal games and rarely play the event games. I am more than willingly to play a games or two with you so I can learn a few new things from you. I am still a newbie noob ... :D
    • ulun64 wrote:

      I Patton wrote:

      ulun64 wrote:

      Rare materials is not necessary the shortage at the start of game, Normally at the start of the game you get a certain amount of it which can last sometimes before you actually face a shortage. At the start of a game resources are more map dependent. Some map got more of this and less of that. Usually goods is the one the most sourced after at the start of the game then as time goes Metal come in. It's very difficult to say exactly what resource will be shortage at the start of the game. I would say it's map dependent...
      Play games with me, you'll quickly change your opinions.
      How does play a game with you change the resources on the map? BTW, you are a retired Hero so do you still play? I only play the normal games and rarely play the event games. I am more than willingly to play a games or two with you so I can learn a few new things from you. I am still a newbie noob ... :D
      What do you typically do on the first day of a new round of play? [Edit: sorry, that was meant to be rhetorical so as to not divert the subject of this thread. If you'd like my feedback about this, feel free to start a new thread (ie. "What to do on the first day".]

      The post was edited 1 time, last by I Patton ().

    • I Patton wrote:

      ulun64 wrote:

      I Patton wrote:

      ulun64 wrote:

      Rare materials is not necessary the shortage at the start of game, Normally at the start of the game you get a certain amount of it which can last sometimes before you actually face a shortage. At the start of a game resources are more map dependent. Some map got more of this and less of that. Usually goods is the one the most sourced after at the start of the game then as time goes Metal come in. It's very difficult to say exactly what resource will be shortage at the start of the game. I would say it's map dependent...
      Play games with me, you'll quickly change your opinions.
      How does play a game with you change the resources on the map? BTW, you are a retired Hero so do you still play? I only play the normal games and rarely play the event games. I am more than willingly to play a games or two with you so I can learn a few new things from you. I am still a newbie noob ... :D
      What do you typically do on the first day of a new round of play? [Edit: sorry, that was meant to be rhetorical so as to not divert the subject of this thread. If you'd like my feedback about this, feel free to start a new thread (ie. "What to do on the first day".]
      Built barrack then Infrastructure follow by infantry, Next is check the market and buy all the cheap things...
    • Azkazan wrote:

      Hey Patton,

      Nice guide, i like the graphics. Not sure if you are still working on it or not, but I noticed 2 things.

      - Page 8:


      I Patton wrote:

      By now the #1 Research slot (used for researching level 1 Infantry) is available for the next research item..

      4) Start research of level 1 Light Tank (found on “ARMOR” page of Research Tech Tree)
      [Note: this research will take 31 hrs. (1 day + 7 hrs.)]
      You can only start light tank research after the armored car research is finished. I suggest to put the interceptor in the research slot after finishing the infantery research.
      - The second point is that I'm missing some advice on how to start of with building up your economy. Like start to build level 1 infrastructure in all provinces with IC after the barracks are finished and infrastructure in 3-4 other non-urban provinces that produce something valuable.
      Building your economy: Some things to consider. Not necessarily in order given.
      1) One criteria is what resources do you have the least of.
      2) Is the resource you need available on the market at a reasonable (to you) price?
      3) Infrastructure upgrades have oil maintenance.
      4) Upgrades require steel, goods and sometimes oil to build.
      5) Is your food production positive or not too negative? Remember your military eats food daily. Also each province you capture eats food. Barracks also have food maintenance.
      6) What resources do you need to build the military units that you want to produce?
      7) Do not assume that the resources you will need will be available on the market.
      8) It is better to produce as much of the resources you will need as you can. That way you are less dependent on what is available on the market.
      9) Industrial complexes require a lot steel. You will need them in your core oil province(s).
      10) Upgrades of core resource provinces are much more productive than upgrades of non-core resource provinces.
      11) Money is a resource.

      The post was edited 3 times, last by Lawrence Czl: Infrastructure doesn't have oil maintenance. Barracks upgrades also have food maintenance. ().

    • New

      Cwalen wrote:

      3) Docks and Barracks have oil and food maintenance.
      Factories and infrastructure do not.

      4) Your first level of a factory costs 5000 rares. Infrastructure costs oil. (they both cost goods, money and iron)

      5) food can also be put through barracks to make manpower which is particularly useful to make infantry for taking for holding cities.
      Your 3 and 4 are good points. Not sure what you mean by number 5.