troop healing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Foo!! You should need a new building for that... maybe a hospital?

*Looks for cover*
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • The man (I assume) has a point, there is considerable historical precedent for this; especially on the US side. Troops in the European theater were taken off the front line to integrate replacements. After the Guadalcanal campaign, the the US 1st Marine Division took heavy casualties and were sent to Australia for rest and refit to bring themselves back to to strength.

I can relate in game as well, especially in AvA games where your troops are on an alliance mate’s territory for considerable periods of time.
    • To add to this point, the amount of health recovered on your own territory is totally unrealistic for non-core provinces. Consider recently conquered territory, those units essentially become armies of occupation, which would not be well suited for integrating transfers into a unit, helping troops decompress from battlefield stress, catching equipment up on routine maintenance, or generally recovering from infections diseases that were rampant in those conditions. Better to link health recovery to morale of the province, but allowing for it in your partner’s province, at a lower ratio.
    • All jokes about hospitals aside, yeah, the healing system could be revised. It is kinda pointless to walk around with those mauled units, trying to find a job for them when they can't really fight anymore.

It might be combined with the upgrade system, which is also flawed for damaged units... how about, when you upgrade a unit, you also make it 100% HP again, while the price for the upgrade goes up by the (proportinal) cost of the missing HP?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • At the most basic level, under the current system, a veteran unit will always be outclassed by a newly formed unit if they've taken any damage at all. This is the part that I find so idiotic. Being battle-hardened should mean something.

In all seriousness, Bytro would do well to revamp this. I remember back when I played my first call of war game, and realized how nonsensical it was, I almost didn't play a second game. If Bytro spends money on advertising and if they can't convince players giving the game a first try to play another round they're missing a lot of potential.

Bringing units up to 100% health when upgraded would be a step in the right direction.
    • Oh there is many senseless things in this game... the "fingers" of advances without any flank protection, mot.inf being offensive while AC is defensive, being able to completely destroy units from the air or with arty (any idea how many tons of explosives were thrown at the Omaha defenders before they started massacring the landing troops?), RRG's, the whole idea of "damage distribution"... the list goes on. But of course, it is a simplified simulation aka game, so I don't mind TOO much.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Also retreating not being an option. It’s kinda strange that an art can be completely wiped out in a single invasion. Stuff like that hasn’t happened since practically Napoleonic times. Perhaps the ability to pull out and retreat can be permitted but you take one full enemy attack of damage with no return? I’m not sure.

I’ve held the idea that you should just
      be able to send damaged units back to cities, spend a cost and time to heal them proportionate to however much damage they have taken, and be good with that. Say you lost half your army? Half the time and cost to rebuild it.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • You-Know-Who wrote:

I think it should be like the upgrade function, the resources needed can calculated by: original cost*lost hp%. I've never heard of any country in WWII or history(except us, perhaps) which only builds new units and never reinforces units.
      Actually that was a tendency of Hitler... always new troops. The Wehrmacht bitterly resisted it, resulting in a compromise; but still German divisions were systematically understrength during the entire war.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Erm, well that's what I said, isn't it?
      - BIG DADDY.
    • You-Know-Who wrote:

I know. But they still had to reinforce their divisions sometimes, right? Or Hitler's favourite, the SS would disappear.
      Actually it did. SS troops were almost always committed where the fighting was heaviest, it cost many young German fanatics lives, and German enthusiasm became low to be recruited; it was volunteer, after all, the draft was only for regular army. By the end of the war most of the Waffen-SS was volunteers from the occupied territories.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • You-Know-Who wrote:

no, it's separated from the upgrade function
      Ah. In that case, I think combining it with upgrade is a better idea.
      - BIG DADDY.