Amphibious Units: Tanks, Frogmen, Seaplanes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Amphibious Units: Tanks, Frogmen, Seaplanes

When playing gamemodes largely focused on oceanic and naval warfare, like Pacific Conquest, I have often been bothered by the lengthy embarking and disembarking times that greatly decrease the viability of naval convoys. As somewhat of a remedy, I think the introduction of amphibious units would be a good idea.

Frogmen
      Based on amphibious special infantry/boat units employed during WW2, the frogmen would essentially be a weaker version of commandos, but with the ability to travel on coastal sea dots and lakes without embarking/disembarking and generally, having faster embarking/disembarking speeds. It is possible the need for embarking could be removed entirely and they could be depicted using small motorboats/dinghys while in the water, though that is likely overpowered.

Frogmen could be an extension of the Commando class or a new type of infantry altogether.

Amphibious Tanks
      Given the amount of amphibious tanks used in WW2, it would be appropriate to have them in Call of War. They would essentially function the same as Frogmen, with better movement on water and coastal dots. These tanks could branch out from light tanks or be a new class altogether, though they would be weaker than existing models for balance purposes. Some tank models that could be used are below.
      Allies: Stuff from the LVT family, DD (Donald Duck) tanks
      Axis: Not much besides LWS, maybe just add snorkels to light tanks
      Comintern: T37A tank => T38 tank => T40 tank => T60 tank? maybe BMP or PT76, though they are later
      Panasian: Type 2 Ka-Mi, Type 3 Ka-Chi, Type 5 Ko-Tu
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_…_vehicles_of_World_War_II

Seaplanes
      Would be based on Flying Boats and Floatplanes from WW2. Seaplanes could either be a new class or branch from naval bombers. They would not need an airstrip to take off, but instead water. They would, however, have a higher resource expenditure rate (namely oil) and need to refuel and go to an airstrip/carrier on daychange, or perhaps have a limited flying time. Once again, it would have weaker stats than its typical counterparts for balance. Model ideas are down below (Not all of them would be implemented of course)
      Allies: PBY Catalina, Grumman F4F-3S "Wildcatfish"
      Axis: BV 238
      Comintern: MDR6, Shavrov Sh-2
      Panasian: Kawanishi H6K, H8K, Nakajima A6M2-N, Kawanishi N1K! Kyofu,
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_…of_World_War_II#Seaplanes
    • I have suggested amphibious landing craft before, similar to IO's Sea Factory. I am in favor of a designated landing craft or possibly a amphibious unit, but people don't want realism. Bytro only adds new units or features if they are easy to implement, popular, usable, balanced, and they bring in a profit. I could go on a rant about how these units won't be supported. To put it shortly, frogmen aren't practical, amphibious tanks are too OP, and although seaplanes sound like a good idea the units are also too OP since they would not need any airbases to resupply rendering the majority of air units useless.
    • I understand your concerns, but how would amphibious units be hard to implement, unpopular, or unusable? I do realize that they may be somewhat unbalanced, but I think their inferiority to normal counterparts is generally enough to counterbalance the amphibious capabilities. I would think that frogmen would be as practical as amphibious tanks, given that commandos (especially under the allies doctrine) are fairly capable right now. Seaplanes, as I mentioned in my first post, though not requiring an airstrip would probably have a limited flying time per day or forced resupply mechanic.
    • Adding an amphibious unit means you have to program a unit in a completely different way so it is in fact harder to implement. Also, Bytro will only add new units for their operations which bring in profit and game activity. These suggested units haven't been popular with the forum so they will never be iimplemented. Adding to the difficulty to program, more sets of rules and codes for different units like the seaplane would suck to add. Despite what I have said in the past about the true difficulty of Bytro jobs, altering the codes or rules of a complete game just for a new unit is something Bytro will not do, it could break other game functions.
    • Aceidel wrote:

Frogmen
      Based on amphibious special infantry/boat units employed during WW2, the frogmen would essentially be a weaker version of commandos, but with the ability to travel on coastal sea dots and lakes without embarking/disembarking and generally, having faster embarking/disembarking speeds. It is possible the need for embarking could be removed entirely and they could be depicted using small motorboats/dinghys while in the water, though that is likely overpowered.

Frogmen could be an extension of the Commando class or a new type of infantry altogether.

Frogmen are combat divers, what you're think of here are called Marines.
    • Commander Schleicher wrote:

altering the codes or rules of a complete game just for a new unit is something Bytro will not do, it could break other game functions.
      Not completely true... both airborne troops and aircraft carrier were implemented long after the initial game launch. Carriers were indeed buggy for years (though that is mostly solved now), airborne troops didn't break anything major afaik.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Aceidel wrote:

When playing gamemodes largely focused on oceanic and naval warfare, like Pacific Conquest, I have often been bothered by the lengthy embarking and disembarking times that greatly decrease the viability of naval convoys. As somewhat of a remedy, I think the introduction of amphibious units would be a good idea.

Frogmen

Amphibious Tanks
      Given the amount of amphibious tanks used in WW2, it would be appropriate to have them in Call of War. They would essentially function the same as Frogmen, with better movement on water and coastal dots. These tanks could branch out from light tanks or be a new class altogether, though they would be weaker than existing models for balance purposes. Some tank models that could be used are below.
      Allies: Stuff from the LVT family, DD (Donald Duck) tanks
      Axis: Not much besides LWS, maybe just add snorkels to light tanks
      Comintern: T37A tank => T38 tank => T40 tank => T60 tank? maybe BMP or PT76, though they are later
      Panasian: Type 2 Ka-Mi, Type 3 Ka-Chi, Type 5 Ko-Tu
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_…_vehicles_of_World_War_II

Seaplanes
      Would be based on Flying Boats and Floatplanes from WW2. Seaplanes could either be a new class or branch from naval bombers. They would not need an airstrip to take off, but instead water. They would, however, have a higher resource expenditure rate (namely oil) and need to refuel and go to an airstrip/carrier on daychange, or perhaps have a limited flying time. Once again, it would have weaker stats than its typical counterparts for balance. Model ideas are down below (Not all of them would be implemented of course)
      Allies: PBY Catalina, Grumman F4F-3S "Wildcatfish"
      Axis: BV 238
      Comintern: MDR6, Shavrov Sh-2
      Panasian: Kawanishi H6K, H8K, Nakajima A6M2-N, Kawanishi N1K! Kyofu,
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_…of_World_War_II#Seaplanes
      You got Amphibious Tanks :)
    • christmas present for Aceidel it seems, have fun :)

Commander Schleicher wrote:

Adding an amphibious unit means you have to program a unit in a completely different way so it is in fact harder to implement. Also, Bytro will only add new units for their operations which bring in profit and game activity. These suggested units haven't been popular with the forum so they will never be iimplemented. Adding to the difficulty to program, more sets of rules and codes for different units like the seaplane would suck to add. Despite what I have said in the past about the true difficulty of Bytro jobs, altering the codes or rules of a complete game just for a new unit is something Bytro will not do, it could break other game functions.
      before someone asks: We did not have to code new embarking functionality for the amphibious tanks because this functionality was already implemented for Iron Order (the Land Ship).
    • Commander Schleicher makes valid points regarding the potential challenges in implementing amphibious units in games like Pacific Conquest. While the idea of amphibious units like frogmen, amphibious tanks, and seaplanes could enhance gameplay dynamics, their practicality, balance, and potential impact on existing game mechanics must be carefully considered. Maintaining game balance while introducing new units or features is crucial to ensure an enjoyable gaming experience for all players.
    • If seaplanes are to be implemented, I would also like to be implemented water bodies where they [ can / can't ] take off and splashdown.
      For example, a seaplane cannot safely splashdown or take off in rough seas.
      From a game balance standpoint, I think it might not be desirable to have an aircraft that can take off and land anywhere in the water that makes up 70% of the earth's surface also.
      It might be a better that in such a case, some seaplane tenders or seaplane carriers is needed in such waters though.