Tips for Beginners

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Piggy backing off of z00mz00m’s echo, Picking one-two units from what ever branches you will use from the start of the game and sticking with them is a very helpful idea. Look at your country, position, map, etc, and make a choice. Depending on all these factors, it becomes a lot more easy to sort what is useful and going to be put to use, and what is not.

For example, let’s say you play Spain in Clash of Nations. What units would you want or need? Well, it’s a small map, so getting fast early game units like mot infantry and/or armored cars along with perhaps light tanks is a smart idea. Planes and ships won’t be useful, other than naval bombers and interceptors at best. You won’t always need artillery, but if there are any competent players around it’s best to go for that. Otherwise, you’ll want to focus on building industry and recruitment centers to make up for your Axis cost debuff.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Update:
      I'm playing a Homefront game at the moment. I'm Mississipi (allied), so I'm just going for ordnance (SP Arty), Tactical bombers and Tank destroyers.

Day 1:
      Production: 6 artillery, 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers, 3 fighters, 1 tactical bomber

Alabama attacks me but he is torn to shreds; I've got all his cities. I'm planning attacking Louisiana and then Arkansas.

I have 3 industry and 1 recruiting station.

KD: 24|0
      Province: 17|0

Anything I should work on?
      CHHHHHAAAARRGGGEEE!
    • Smash them in large groups against inactive players: you’ll one shot the enemy and take little damage. Allows you to gain a lot of bang for you buck from starting units. As Rokossovski said, you want to get as much use out of them as you expand your economy and make cheap units to skip upgrade.

• CommanderRhino wrote:

Update:
      I'm playing a Homefront game at the moment. I'm Mississipi (allied), so I'm just going for ordnance (SP Arty), Tactical bombers and Tank destroyers.

Day 1:
      Production: 6 artillery, 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers, 3 fighters, 1 tactical bomber

Alabama attacks me but he is torn to shreds; I've got all his cities. I'm planning attacking Louisiana and then Arkansas.

That's twice as many unit types as you need on day 1. It might work against bad players on Homefront, but it's not going to cut it against better players.

Nix the fighters and tactical bombers. And the air factory. And the research. You don't need air until later in the game.

Nix the destroyers. Who's building subs on day 1? Nobody. If they are, you need 1 destroyer to spot the subs, your cruisers shoot the subs. No need for more than 1 spotter. The most powerful naval stack in the game is 10 cruisers + 1 destroyer. Fast, strong, resistant to air attack, and it has a built-in sub spotter so you can shoot them when you see them. No need to "run into" subs and fight them at close range.

Artillery is good if you're Commie or Pan Asian, because of their doctrine bonuses. It's a bit "meh" for everyone else. Expensive, slow, bad against unarmored units. The first few days are mostly about killing infantry and some light armor. Rocket artillery are much more effective at that.

Check out the unit bonuses:
      wiki.callofwar.com/wiki/DOCTRINES

I only build artillery when playing Pan Asian now, because they are fast and effective against everything. Comintern are really cheap and fast to produce, making up for their lower effectiveness. Axis and Allied are not worth building in most cases.
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

Smash them in large groups against inactive players: you’ll one shot the enemy and take little damage. Allows you to gain a lot of bang for you buck from starting units. As Rokossovski said, you want to get as much use out of them as you expand your economy and make cheap units to skip upgrade.
      yeah I was about to say that, that's smart, especially before daychange :)

I'm playing a 6x europe game as Sweden and Finland smashed half his army against mine, I just waited and killed them. The other half I killed with cruisers. I did lose one infantry though. :(
    • z00mz00m wrote:

CommanderRhino wrote:

Update:

Day 1:

That's twice as many unit types as you need on day 1. It might work against bad players on Homefront, but it's not going to cut it against better players.

Nix the fighters and tactical bombers. And the air factory. And the research. You don't need air until later in the game.

Nix the destroyers. Who's building subs on day 1? Nobody. If they are, you need 1 destroyer to spot the subs, your cruisers shoot the subs. No need for more than 1 spotter. The most powerful naval stack in the game is 10 cruisers + 1 destroyer. Fast, strong, resistant to air attack, and it has a built-in sub spotter so you can shoot them when you see them. No need to "run into" subs and fight them at close range.

Artillery is good if you're Commie or Pan Asian, because of their doctrine bonuses. It's a bit "meh" for everyone else. Expensive, slow, bad against unarmored units. The first few days are mostly about killing infantry and some light armor. Rocket artillery are much more effective at that.

I only build artillery when playing Pan Asian now, because they are fast and effective against everything. Comintern are really cheap and fast to produce, making up for their lower effectiveness. Axis and Allied are not worth building in most cases.
      yeah cruisers are fun, I used to love battleships, but now I see the benefits of cruisers.
    • ChessSamurai1999 wrote:

z00mz00m wrote:

CommanderRhino wrote:

Update:

Day 1:

yeah cruisers are fun, I used to love battleships, but now I see the benefits of cruisers.
      That’s very much a past thing. These days crusiers were debuffed and others buffed. Destroyers have a nearly 1-1 ratio with subs to the point where you’ll need lots to survive on larger maps. Crusiers are no longer cost effective against battleships. If you’re not hyper active you get obliterated by large sub stacks or high battleship range. Things more balanced, and carriers with naval bombers have a place on larger maps as well.

• Carking the 6th wrote:

That’s very much a past thing. These days crusiers were debuffed and others buffed. Destroyers have a nearly 1-1 ratio with subs to the point where you’ll need lots to survive on larger maps. Crusiers are no longer cost effective against battleships. If you’re not hyper active you get obliterated by large sub stacks or high battleship range. Things more balanced, and carriers with naval bombers have a place on larger maps as well.

They have nerfed cruisers repeatedly, and they are still the best naval unit :)

Cruisers defeat bombers, that much is clear. You need them when sailing into enemy air space. So you have to research and build them, and keep up the research levels to match enemy bombers.

Against ships, cruisers are not as good as battleships, that's also clear. But are they good enough in most cases? Yes. If the enemy comes at you with 10 battleships, then of course you're not going to go at them with your cruisers. But if the enemy is sending 1 battleship at a time, then 10 cruisers is enough. And if your cruisers are level 3 while the enemy is producing level 1 ships (of every kind), then your cruisers win. Because your research is focused, and his is scattered.

Against subs, cruisers are fast enough to get away. Shoot and scoot, just keep doing that until the subs are dead. Try that with battleships. First, they are too slow, the subs will catch you. Second, battleships deal very little damage to subs, so even the shots you get off are not effective.

Cruiser speed also means you can get the guns in the right place at the right time. You can clear the coastal city, invade, and keep going, while the battleships are still sputtering toward the target.

The one exception is Pan Asian battleships, those are faster and more powerful, and worth building sometimes. Especially if you can rely on those awesome Pan Asian interceptors and naval bombers to protect your battle wagons. But in most doctrines, battleships are a waste of time. Just ignore them, sail around them, and then ambush them with subs or naval bombers. They will never get off a shot.
    • You may want atom bombs as well. Still they're not feasible to build in most cases.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

They have nerfed cruisers repeatedly, and they are still the best naval unit :)

Cruisers defeat bombers, that much is clear. You need them when sailing into enemy air space. So you have to research and build them, and keep up the research levels to match enemy bombers.

Against ships, cruisers are not as good as battleships, that's also clear. But are they good enough in most cases? Yes. If the enemy comes at you with 10 battleships, then of course you're not going to go at them with your cruisers. But if the enemy is sending 1 battleship at a time, then 10 cruisers is enough. And if your cruisers are level 3 while the enemy is producing level 1 ships (of every kind), then your cruisers win. Because your research is focused, and his is scattered.

Against subs, cruisers are fast enough to get away. Shoot and scoot, just keep doing that until the subs are dead. Try that with battleships. First, they are too slow, the subs will catch you. Second, battleships deal very little damage to subs, so even the shots you get off are not effective.

Cruiser speed also means you can get the guns in the right place at the right time. You can clear the coastal city, invade, and keep going, while the battleships are still sputtering toward the target.

The one exception is Pan Asian battleships, those are faster and more powerful, and worth building sometimes. Especially if you can rely on those awesome Pan Asian interceptors and naval bombers to protect your battle wagons. But in most doctrines, battleships are a waste of time. Just ignore them, sail around them, and then ambush them with subs or naval bombers. They will never get off a shot.
      Disagreeable, but maybe they should be nerfed further if that is the case. Still, the situations you describe tend to be inaccurate. Usually you’ll have level 2 of everything, not one, and it’s rather unfair to consider the opponent as a an idiot who only sends one unit at a time constantly. Scooting and shooting is not always viable. If the enemy out maneuvers you using a single fast destroyer and then splits their subs to surround you so you can escape, your cruisers are lost. If you go to sleep and the enemy strikes then, your cruisers are lost. Very, very micro intensive and you can still outsmart it with the right strategies. Clearing coasts is also useless, you will get destroyed by enemy artillery which does more damage to you than you can do back. Convoys are still slow and will take just as long as battleships to arrive, so it’s rather pointless to use them for naval invasions. I’m sorry, cruisers only is antiquated, they really can’t stand alone anymore. Even naval bombers alone are cost effective enough to wipe you out alone, combine that with artillery and they become even worse for coastal fighting. The range of battleships is a very large disadvantage for cruisers. Their numbers and bonus may make them only useful with Comintern, elsewise they become easy to defeat alone. Getting the three basic ships is really the most balanced method in sea wars.

For some anecdotal evidence, I played a game with @TheZhukov once, in which he used cruisers only for his navy. The fighting did take place late game, but I was also handicapped and was unable to have a fleet size that I would have liked. Even then, I managed to preform rather well against his fleet, doing more damage to them than vice versa. Maybe the rules if the game were too weird to make it count, though. I have fought other games with enemies using cruisers and one destroyer only and they tend to be rather east to defeat, with the added perk of me being able to easily sea bombard an enemy without needing to worry about artillery.

• None of the things you describe happen in my games, Carking :)

You're not going to catch my navy, because I don't leave them in your range while I sleep. Same thing for the army and air force. They're not going to wait on the border for you to destroy. They will arrive where and when I decide.

It's possible you can run into a large battleships armada, but it's like running into a stack of heavy tanks. Just go around them. Deal with them later, with planes or subs, whatever is most convenient. Their slow speed means they are not a real threat against an active opponent.

Opponents rarely keep stacks of artillery in their coastal cities. It's possible. When it happens, I just go somewhere else. Not worth changing my naval strategy, just because I might find some artillery in a coastal city 1 time every 5 games? It's also possible for an opponent to use RRG to keep away your battleships. Also rare, and not worth stressing about,

Playing large maps, I maximize transport research, which makes my convoys faster than battleships. Cruisers and destroyers can keep up, and they are useful to provide anti-air and anti-submarine cover. Those are the units opponents typically use to patrol their shores. Battleships would just slow down my convoys.
    • The Importance of Upgrading Troops and their Composition.

This is a fairly standard help guide for some stuff, reading it would help quite a bit, im going to update it soon since some of this stuff isnt totally up to date,
      "I have not failed, i have just found 10,000 ways that wont work." - Thomas Edison

Need Support? Send a Ticket here! - Support Form.
      Forum Rules - Forum Rules.
      Chat Rules - Chat Rules.