Tips for Beginners

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• z00mz00m wrote:

None of the things you describe happen in my games, Carking :)

You're not going to catch my navy, because I don't leave them in your range while I sleep. Same thing for the army and air force. They're not going to wait on the border for you to destroy. They will arrive where and when I decide.

It's possible you can run into a large battleships armada, but it's like running into a stack of heavy tanks. Just go around them. Deal with them later, with planes or subs, whatever is most convenient. Their slow speed means they are not a real threat against an active opponent.

Opponents rarely keep stacks of artillery in their coastal cities. It's possible. When it happens, I just go somewhere else. Not worth changing my naval strategy, just because I might find some artillery in a coastal city 1 time every 5 games? It's also possible for an opponent to use RRG to keep away your battleships. Also rare, and not worth stressing about,

Playing large maps, I maximize transport research, which makes my convoys faster than battleships. Cruisers and destroyers can keep up, and they are useful to provide anti-air and anti-submarine cover. Those are the units opponents typically use to patrol their shores. Battleships would just slow down my convoys.
      My point about catching you in sleep is when someone is smart enough to trail you with subs.
      Wait it about. Then go after once you’re asleep without you knowing they are there. Often works out.

You seem to underestimate the speed of battleships. Even if you can outrun them, it won’t matter when they easily bombard your cities away. They tend to be fast enough for me, anyway. Heavy tanks suck because they are too expensive and take ages to produce, meaning that you can go around and take over a country. With battleships, you aren’t gonna go around and bombard a port simply because battleships do tend to travel fast enough to stop an enemy, at least for me. Once you upgrade them they will go as fast as convoys, if my last game’s memory as Comintern of all doctrines was correct.

Cruisers alone will not work out. Our anecdotal evidence shows that it works with you, but not for my enemies that use it. I guess that’s how anecdotal evidence is. Fact is cruisers and one destroyer is very easy to counter with the right strategy.

z00mz00m wrote:

Zazmio wrote:

Your coastal cities can't run away from battleships.
      ... or cruisers.
      Except those cities can’t be defended by arty!

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate

The post was edited 1 time, last by Carking the 6th ().

• Who leaves artillery along the coast on the odd chance that a ship will pass by?
      I've honestly never seen that.
      Maybe an AI, or someone hiding their army in their last city.
      But seriously, it's not a thing.
      You need shooters on the front line, shooting, not sitting at home doing nothing.

Battleships are fine. They have their role. I build them sometimes.
      But they are not the meta.
      The meta is stacks of 10 cruisers + 1 destroyer, stacks of 10 subs, and stacks of 10 naval bombers.
      One (or a combination) of these gets it done 99% of the time.
      In most games, I don't research battleships at all, the resources are better spent elsewhere.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Who leaves artillery along the coast on the odd chance that a ship will pass by?
      You need shooters on the front line, shooting, not sitting at home doing nothing.

The meta is stacks of 10 cruisers + 1 destroyer, stacks of 10 subs, and stacks of 10 naval bombers.
      In most games, I don't research battleships at all, the resources are better spent elsewhere.
      I guess most of the time its just subs and naval bombers on the coast
      CHHHHHAAAARRGGGEEE!
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Who leaves artillery along the coast on the odd chance that a ship will pass by?

It should be pretty easy to tell where a fleet is going, and move the artillery accordingly. It really isn’t the Meta anymore, its relevance has faded. Against worse players or shorter maps, sure, it’ll work most of the time. But best strategy in the game? Nah. There are just to many counters, I HAVE beaten players who used it rather easily before. I’m not saying you always need battleships, but if you’re on a naval game? Of course you do! Cruisers are weak against ships, by passing won’t save you as your landing forces will be obliterated no matter what you do— they just take too long to land and aren’t well supported enough. Cruiser are just not the beasts they used to be anymore.

• To each his own. I find it difficult to research 3+ naval units without losing the edge in the air and on the ground. The cruiser is mandatory. So is the destroyer. The submarine is next in line. The battleship easier to skip. Only the carrier is less essential.
    • I guess so. Usually Navy is not very important until later in the game, and you can get by with Naval bombers or single ranged ships alone. It’s only in the late game where the need to get a fleet to combat huge fleet of cruisers and attack. By then it’s pretty easy to spam level 1’s and skip upgrade. Subs while having cruisers and destroyers is rather redundant. It’s better to focus on subs or scrap them all together most of the time.

• CommanderRhino wrote:

I've figured out that when I play lvl 100+ players, they are able to have stacks of every unit (artillery, fighters, tactical + strat bombers, tanks, infantry, subs etc.).
      Nobody has stacks of every unit. They're golding.

The best tip I can give you is to think about what jobs your military needs: You need something to kill armour, something to kill unarmoured, something with speed, something to scout on the ground, a ranged unit to provide firepower and counter enemy ranged units, something to attack the enemy air force with, something to defend against the enemy air force with, and something to sink ships.

There is a ton of overlap here. You want as little research as possible. If a unit capable of doing more than one of these jobs, you want it. For example, the most efficient and optimized build used by elite players is light tanks, armoured cars, anti-air, railroad guns, interceptors, and naval bombers.

But that build is difficult to use. So maybe you could make it easier to use and easier to be offline by using rocket artillery instead of railroad guns and medium tanks instead of light tanks, just for example.
    • I'm quite busy during the week, so I have some questions:

1. How do you defend when you are offline? I'm playing a Pacific Conquest game and half my cores got taken after a neighbouring country surprise attacked.

2. How do you attack if you are offline? Or do you just wait?

Thanks!
      CHHHHHAAAARRGGGEEE!
    • CommanderRhino wrote:

I'm quite busy during the week, so I have some questions:

1. How do you defend when you are offline? I'm playing a Pacific Conquest game and half my cores got taken after a neighbouring country surprise attacked.

Thanks!
      Never easy. Best thing for 1 is to place units on the border and have large stacks ready to stop the energy. For two, you either wait or set an order of add targets to take over all needed enemy places. If they are awake you’ll have a hard time, though..

• CommanderRhino wrote:

Thanks!
      Get your units out of harm's way, so they can't get exploited overnight.
      Understand your enemy's reach and his schedule.
      Plan for breathing room so you can give ground without putting your core at risk.
    • CommanderRhino wrote:

Thanks!
      1. to avoid being surprise attacked by someone pay attention to growing tension around your country, read news frequently so that you have rough image on what and how much foreign army are. open negotiation and seek allies also can be viable option if you had no online time that much.

2. the game demand constant time and attention from us, make plan for the attack and monitoring your unit throughout the day, no need to sit down in the game for the entire day just a consistent game checking for any development of the situation
      ꦮꦺꦱ꧀ꦲꦺꦴꦫꦲꦺꦴꦤꦺꦴꦱꦺꦁꦲꦶꦱꦺꦴꦢꦶꦭꦏꦺꦴꦤꦶ

Normal Day in Call of War

World at War Playthrough
    • CommanderRhino wrote:

Thanks!
      I think other guys have already said this, but you gotta stack your units and retreat them out of harm's way. If it's early game, keep stacks in the nearest core cities that may be attacked while you sleep.
    • Homefront Update:

Day 3 (about to change to day 4):
      Have several stacks of troops, quite successful. Researched and starting to produce SPARTY.

Took out Arkansas, Louisiana and Alabama. Going for Florida now; maybe Texas.

Will join coalition soon, I'm on 140 VP, ranked 1st (but it is Homefront so no surprises there).

71 units.

KD: 78|0
      Province: 58|6

Thanks for all tips guys!
      CHHHHHAAAARRGGGEEE!
    • CommanderRhino wrote:

How many industries do you recommend building on day 1? Roughly how often do you level them up?

Like I'm playing a Pacific Conquest map rn, and I have barely any resources.
      Hmm... PC always had the least resources even in 1.0 ?(

I would build L1 industry in all your cities on day 1, if you have enough metal/oil. Build L2 in all cities by day 3, maybe sooner if you have the resources. I usually dont like having my cities on different industry levels but if you have to then do it. I remember someone a few months ago said something about maxing out industry early on gives you an advantage in the late game...
      Stay Sweet!
    • CommanderRhino wrote:

Homefront Update:

Day 3 (about to change to day 4):
      Have several stacks of troops, quite successful. Researched and starting to produce SPARTY.

Took out Arkansas, Louisiana and Alabama. Going for Florida now; maybe Texas.

Will join coalition soon, I'm on 140 VP, ranked 1st (but it is Homefront so no surprises there).

71 units.

KD: 78|0
      Province: 58|6

Thanks for all tips guys!
      Nice job so far. I wouldnt research/use sp arty bc it's very expensive and not really better than regular arty other than speed buff. If you're allied, I would focus on inf, light armor and planes.

Edit: Depending on your resource availability and other units, you might wanna use RA or SPRA instead of regular arty. Just a personal choice.
      Stay Sweet!