Give us the option to disband units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Carking the 6th wrote:

The loss in speed does suck, though. It would make more sense for it to go at the same speed as the unit it joins, no?
      We can't have every mechanic I guess and it makes sense for poor health to slow units down ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

Carking the 6th wrote:

The loss in speed does suck, though. It would make more sense for it to go at the same speed as the unit it joins, no?
      We can't have every mechanic I guess and it makes sense for poor health to slow units down ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      I disagree with the slow speed....

For accuracy, The depleted unit is not a bunch of walking wounded....just fewer troops.
      5 men move just as fast as 500.

So a weakened unit should not have a speed penalty...

But as you said, not all the mechanics can be realistic.
    • Nostroma wrote:

For accuracy, The depleted unit is not a bunch of walking wounded....just fewer troops.

Why are the hitpoints down? It's nearly always because they have been in combat and casualties have been inflicted (or they have undergone a forced march for way too long, with the same effect). By the time the speed debuff sets in the unit is at only half its fighting ability.

That means the numbers of lorries or horses will be depleted, slowing down anything or anyone they carry. Tanks or guns might need repair. Many of the men will be wounded (I'm not saying the regiment is just walking wounded, with each at a uniform amount of health, but it can be expected by 50%< health that casualties will be an issue.)
      Of course with many others missing, important roles will need replacing. The regiment will need to stop more frequently to lick its wounds. And, as always in war, once sh*t happens everything will be harder to do.

5 men might move as fast as 500, but with half of its men gone, a regiment meant to operate with 1,000 can't be expected to move at full speed. For accuracy, it only makes sense that a unit at half its HP would move slower (the alternative seems absurd). This is one mechanic that is realistic.
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

Nostroma wrote:

Why are the hitpoints down? It's nearly always because they have been in combat and casualties have been inflicted (or they have undergone a forced march for way too long, with the same effect). By the time the speed debuff sets in the unit is at only half its fighting ability.
      That means the numbers of lorries or horses will be depleted, slowing down anything or anyone they carry. Tanks or guns might need repair. Many of the men will be wounded (I'm not saying the regiment is just walking wounded, with each at a uniform amount of health, but it can be expected by 50%< health that casualties will be an issue.)
      Of course with many others missing, important roles will need replacing. The regiment will need to stop more frequently to lick its wounds. And, as always in war, once sh*t happens everything will be harder to do.

5 men might move as fast as 500, but with half of its men gone, a regiment meant to operate with 1,000 can't be expected to move at full speed. For accuracy, it only makes sense that a unit at half its HP would move slower (the alternative seems absurd). This is one mechanic that is realistic.
      Year. That's right.
      What's more, they may be also carrying along with them wounded soldiers and corpses of their allies, as well as enemy prisoners of war and civilians.