The rise/fall of the Third Roman Empire

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The rise/fall of the Third Roman Empire

Background
      Hello, guys. It has been a while since I posted my last game because I’ve been busy. In this game, I’m hoping to experiment with the strategy of militarising. In game3 &4, I generally industrialise my cities and rurals right from the start of the game. However, I saw two players yielding a better result even in terms of economy without building industries. So, in this game, I’m setting a constraint to myself-no industries. I’ll spend all my resources in the military. So how to compare the results yielded? I don’t think army size can do it because militarising will usually get a larger army size. However, I want to compare the resources production. If you have a larger economy, your army will gradually become stronger, right? I have written down the resource production figures in my last game for comparison: Day2 44201 Day6 60915 Day 10 91024 And the production rates at the Spanish game after 12 days: cash: 3685/h goods: 652/h food:759 mp: 611 steel: 599 oil: 769 rares: 648
      It’s impossible to have the production up to44k in day2 without industrialising. But I should have produced more resources from day6 on or I can’t call the strategy successful. Let’s see how the game’ll go. Personally, I’m not very confident in this play style. Maybe the game will change my mind.
      Choice of map: to general disappointment, I’ll play CON again. Sorry guys, I’m just too busy to play more competitive games.
      Choice of country: I’ll go for Axis again. This time, I’ll choose Italy because of its long coastline and unfavourable relief(mountain).
    • Choice of units:
      1. Med. tanks: mainly because of their doctrine bonuses. Can deal most lightly armoured and unarmoured units with ease.
      2. Mot. inf.: because of doctrine bonuses again. They can deal with ATs and TDs which med. Tanks are vulnerable to and scout.
      3. SParty: ranged unit. To avoid losses when I can be active and deal with heavies in case someone tries to imitiate jubjubbird.
      4. Interceptors: air defence and scout. But I’ll probably lose to plane spammers due to my lack of activity.
      5. Subs: doctrine bonuses again. Used to take out convoys and unprotected capital ships. Destroyers? Outnumber them. Naval bombers? We have interceptors.
      6. AAs: following the advice of K.Rokossovski, I’ll produce AAs to protect my armies
      during periods of inactivity. Though I won’t spread out mot. Inf. most times cause I
      can’t be online to make sure they survive.
    • Economic analysis
      I’m assuming the stack composition will be 3 SParty, AA, med. Tanks and med. Tank. If nobody uses airforce, I’ll just produce a few interceptors for scouts. I think it’s likely I’ll need subs as in my last game, idle battleships were quite popular, I can’t resist the temptation to sink them all. Producing a stack of ground units listed above each day costs:(hourly)
      766 MP 286 food 522 goods 372 oil 407 steel 85 rares 1003 cash
      Although I’m not sure if the stats are right, at least we can assume there’ll be a great demand for manpower, then goods, steel and oil following. With the extra food, we should be able to spam recruiting stations. 500 production hourly isn’t hard when you build industries. But I’m not sure how fast I need to conquer to reach this on day 8. The uncertainty in the strategy is because conquering speed depends on my enemies’ skill.
      Note: Italy has 2 goods, food, 1 steel and oil rural resources production province.
    • Day1 The establishment of the Third Roman Empire
      After ages of waiting, the Romans finally found a third leader to build their once great Roman Empire, after Caesar and whowh. The leader’s feared all over the COW world. Nobody speaks his name. They gradually forgot his name and simply called him You-Know-Who.
      Would he be shot like Benito Amilcare Andrea Mussolini or succeed like Caesar? He had just gained the place in an election. Some reckless economists tried to win the hearts of Romans by stating they’ll build lots of industries. But they were wrong. No Romans welcomed the thought of needing to do more work. They’re warriors. Why don’t we just conquer others and let them work for us? So You-Know-Who became the Roman Empire.
      The emperor was always busy, plus he’s not great at giving speeches(dreadful, in fact). He wrote a short speech, preparing to give it to the world by the end of day1:

The emperor then took a look at the world map. Switzerland seemed to be a natural conquer target. They are weak and close. Also, the emperor guessed Italy wouldn’t be under the risk of getting invaded- France would take the AI countries and Spain, Germany would attack France and AIs and Yugoslavia would fight for dominance in their peninsula. African countries would naturally fight each other as well. The emperor concluded the whole Roman army could be sent to the north.
      He recruited a spokesperson, Zhukov, to write in the newspaper. To equip the fragile Roman Army, he ordered scientists to work day and night. As he couldn’t go to the hq to give orders often, he ordered pairs of research having identical research time. AC and inf. first, then LTs and artys, Mot. inf. And interceptors overnight. Subs were finally researched. How odd it was, thought the emperor, that you need to research for sth you already have.
      The workers constructed an L2 TP, barrack and ord fac to produce the corr. Units. Also, the emperor was impatient with the army’s speed, so he built 2 infrastructure in the northern provinces.
      An ac was produced, followed by 2 LT and arty and a mot. inf.
      And the emperor looked through the records of his fellow leaders. Germany, the largest threat, had a kd of 12.5, killing over 120 units in a week. And he joined one game only. So this must be a good player and a kd nerd, who hope to reset his stats. He’s writing playthroughs on the newspaper. Under further investigation, he built many tank plants(17), had limited use of other branches. He sent a hello and mutual shared map trade. The emperor accepted it and quickly changed his own relation to Germans to peace. They definitely spammed LTs, and was starting to produce arty. But they had a fight with France and lost quite a number of units. Maybe he wasn’t that good at all.
      As mentioned, the newbie France attacked Germany and this brought trouble: my path to Germany was blocked. You-Know-Who asked for ROW.
      It took 18 hrs to concentrate the army, and the Romans only captured 2 provinces before day change. Goods and food was desperately needed, while prices in the stock market were bad. An intelligence spy wasted the people’s effort. The emperor nearly ordered to crucify him, but abandoned it as the spy was recruited using$ 10k.
      Day 2
      The Roman Empire was nowhere to be seen in the largest economies. The empire still had 50 VPs. 4 leaders had conquered a few cities. Germany and the Northern United States had 7, while Algeria and Turkey had 6. Germany formed a coalition with Spain, maybe hoping to sandwich France. Turkey and NUS were in their own coalition. The scientists immediately started their research of MT. Meanwhile, a new TP was built, though L1 only. 2 LT and an arty were produced. The emperor then analyzed the situation:
      France had just give ROW and by the looks, Germany wasn’t really good. They attacked with an interceptor. Although they had produced many LTs, their resources depleted so they probably couldn’t research MT. A barrack and ord fac were built in additional to TP in the cities. This meant they weren’t spending resources effectively. But the Roman army was struggling to pass through the mountains. It was really frustrating. Having finally finished off Switzerland, the army used a short while to condense and then entered Germany.
    • A quick account of what happened next: I lost 3ACs and 2 LTs because of a mistake in estimation of German and French forces. That’s an awfully large number and I only killed 7 inf. Knowing that Germany already produced 14 LTs in the first day. I was afraid I would lose more units. So I restored peace and joined Germany’s coalition.
      Short conclusion:
      Militarising from the beginning doesn’t suit active players like me. Germany, on the other hand, is active and he can use it well.
      Active players with brains really have a huge advantage. I’ll set up a new account when I can be active, but that’ll be at least a few years later. I’m still experimenting with the current one, though.
    • I've actually been too busy to continue that.
      Day 4:
      Research: SP arty and l2 mot. inf.
      Production: mot. inf. and med.tanks
      Diplomacy: Germany haven't been online for a long period. What happened?
      Conquer: I moved my armies from Germany to Libya. It took a lot of time. Maybe next time I should choose an easier target for early expansion.
    • Day 5
      Research: l2 med. tank
      Production: same units though added SParty
      Diplomacy: Germany turns out to be banned. I guess because of the Nazi flag. Personally I hope he would fail to retrieve it. Another great news is Algeria went inactive. Th8s left us with 4 players: Canada and NUS in the same coalition, Turkey and me.
      Conquer: Slowly ploughing in Libya. I haven’t set my army to a long march since my major stack is condensing in my cores. By day change I’ve got a stack of 5 l3 mot. inf. and l1 med. tanks plus an SpArty. Another one is at progress
    • Day 6(80 points, very low)
      Research: cruiser: I didn't plan to research it, but I revealed the armies of Libya and Algeria, showing they have mega stacks. It's costly to attack on ground, so I chose to bombard them slowly from the sea.
      Production: Old story with a cruiser added
      Diplomacy: Just noticed Sweden was active, but playing badly- he let Denmark capture his oil city! I haven't left the Nazi coalition yet cause I don't have enough units to hold the front towards Germany.
      I conquered along the coast slowly, often retreating to secure revolted provinces. I got a supply drop with 4k of oil, steel and rares, it greatly boosted my economy, though I would prefer blueprints
    • Day 7
      Research: nothing
      Production: old story
      Construction: Upgraded most of my production buildings, still can't add extra barrack and ord fact though
      Diplomacy: Canada used battleships to bombard Sweden and landed. I hope Sweden would put up a fight.
      Conquer: Libya is large and I had to circulate his capital because of the mega stack. Lost an infantry to an AC. Algeria is annoyingly sending convoys. I still haven't recapture my food production island. It hurts as I'm building RCs.