Unit compartmentalization

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unit compartmentalization

I asked myself what makes you care about your units? What makes you send them into battle without paying any attention?

Right now units are simply a number moving across the screen. These units hold a base stat when the system hits the RNG. Soul less heartless and disconnected.

My idea is to add unit customization. Just like you choosing to add hit points to your units you could click something that breaks down the unit details. From here you should be able to granular change items about your unit. From names of the soldiers to what weapons they use. For example if you know that your infantry unit will be fighting in the mountains you should be able to adjust the kit to make you more effective in mountains.

If you know that you will be facing infantry units wouldn't it be cool to add cammo and sniper load outs. The game makers could make it so the stats reflect the kit. This would add benefit in locations like forests hills but this would be worse for urban combat.

It would be cool to add a medic unit or mechanic unit. These would add healing hit point improvement over time even in enemy territory. Adding such a unit would reduce DPS of your unit but it would give you the benefit of repairs. Another interesting thing that this would cause. As the RNG kills units during combat you could lose the medic/mechanics then the unit would lose this ability.

With commandos this could be very interesting. You could give them an espionage kit which allows them to stay hidden but allows them to take out factories or even grand theft auto grounded planes and missiles. You could also make these items have cost which would cause another dollar drain in game. Give them advance camouflage or disguises. Give them anti tank kits which would give them more effectiveness against armor. When used this would take away their effectiveness against infantry.

When you are pushing for clicks wouldn't it be interesting if you could select some sort of unit training which would work much like the upgrade function. If safe in friendly territory you should be able to train your men to increase their rank. Their rank would improve their effectiveness in war. In my opinion surviving combat, or engaging in training should increase effectiveness more than the research tabs.

This change would add so much depth to the game. It would also cause people to become entrenched with units that are made to excel at their environments. This would cause opponents to improve and change their units and tactics to over come the enemy.

On the game maker end you would have to create a unit page that pops up. Really design it to tickle the OCD customization possibly even skins so users can identify the changes so you know where to send your units. On a game side of this the RNG would change slightly. Players could play the game just as they are now but those who are detail oriented and like tinkering with load outs could have a benefit for their time.

Thanks for your time and read. Let me know what you think.
    • RookOnzo wrote:

I asked myself what makes you care about your units? What makes you send them into battle without paying any attention?

Right now units are simply a number moving across the screen. These units hold a base stat when the system hits the RNG. Soul less heartless and disconnected.
      Oh, it's possible to care about your units. The 88th Division and 20th Mechanised are some of the finest divisions in the National Revolutionary Army, while the 10th Route Army has distinguished itself having fought at Shanghai, Wuhan, and Nanking.
      IDK about you but I get pissed off when my favourite units die
      One just needs a little imagination
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lord Crayfish ().

• Lord Crayfish wrote:

RookOnzo wrote:

Oh, it's possible to care about your units. The 88th Division and 20th Mechanised are some of the finest divisions in the National Revolutionary Army, while the 10th Route Army has distinguished itself having fought at Shanghai, Wuhan, and Nanking.IDK about you but I get pissed off when my favourite units die
      I named all my ships in the USN after States, I have about one for each state now.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

RookOnzo wrote:

Oh, it's possible to care about your units. The 88th Division and 20th Mechanised are some of the finest divisions in the National Revolutionary Army, while the 10th Route Army has distinguished itself having fought at Shanghai, Wuhan, and Nanking.IDK about you but I get pissed off when my favourite units die
      Lol, in the 1936 RP I got really sentimental about the 11th Paratrooper regiment that captured Malmö in the Germano-Swedish war, captured Dublin in the British-Irish war, and was stationed in København for most of its life. Not to mention the other paratrooper regiment I had stationed in the Netherlands, Rohini also had a unit there and there was lore about the German and Indian units becoming friends. The Paratroopers made a heroic last stand in East Anglia and I was genuinely sad when they died ;(
      "Imma play CoW to calm down" - Literally nobody ever

Talvisota of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • RookOnzo wrote:

On the game maker end you would have to create a unit page that pops up. Really design it to tickle the OCD customization possibly even skins so users can identify the changes so you know where to send your units. On a game side of this the RNG would change slightly. Players could play the game just as they are now but those who are detail oriented and like tinkering with load outs could have a benefit for their time.
      So basically, you want to remove the RNG, by adding subdivisions for each unit, to increase the rock-paper-scissors style of the game? But you also don't make any mention of removing said RNG, so in reality, nothing changes?

Just keep this in mind: CoW is a strategic level game, not a tactical one. There are other games out there that reflect your preferences, and whilst I'm not discouraging such suggestions, it is important to note that such changes have a very limited chance of being implemented.
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

RookOnzo wrote:

So basically, you want to remove the RNG, by adding subdivisions for each unit, to increase the rock-paper-scissors style of the game? But you also don't make any mention of removing said RNG, so in reality, nothing changes?
      Just keep this in mind: CoW is a strategic level game, not a tactical one. There are other games out there that reflect your preferences, and whilst I'm not discouraging such suggestions, it is important to note that such changes have a very limited chance of being implemented.
      I don't want the RNG to go away. I simply want the RNG to reflect the unit set ups you choose. For example if you have an infantry set up with sniper rifles mainly. The RNG would hit harder against other soldiers in fields, Mountains ect but they should be useless against armor.

You could also set up the same unit to be carrying RPG's for example which would give them strength against armor but make them weak against other infantry.

I just think it would be cool to create specialization per what the combat is allowing. I want these changes to be small enough that people can play the game as is. I just want those people who love to tinker to get a little benefit when they set up their units to benefit their tactics.