Two most useless units in the game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Two most useless units in the game

Paratroopers are obvious, they dont have the range as bombers. Dont have stealth when behind enemy lines. Small range at low lvls so only viably useful at lvl 4 or 5, all that wasted resources on research. Commandos replace them as sabatours and recon. Paratroopers for roleplay only, band of brothers.

Tank Destroyer is the second. It can be effective in certain situations, however the Attack Bomber replaces this unit. You need to engage at close combat to give damage, however if you are attacked you take full attack damage. So yes used defensive, the enemy can click attack and it basically loses all relevance as a tank destoyer. Its a hit and run unit, some stealth but uselss when engaged. It should have ability to disengage, or have a range. Half of what arty gets or even less, just so you can fire and move, like their RL counterparts. Even the AT gun has more use as a defensive cheap unit. Its not on wheels because its meant for defence and if over run its abandoned, hence the cheap cost. As mentioned already Attack Bomber fills the role of Tank Destroyer. AA will be a problem that the TD wont have, its still not enough to even research let alone make a single TD.

In conclusion, im hoping BYTRO may breath some life into these two specific units as of now they are totally useless... :S
    • PureHydro wrote:

It should have ability to disengage, or have a range. Half of what arty gets or even less, just so you can fire and move, like their RL counterparts.
      Like so many things this is explained when it is realised that each unit represents a regiment-sized body.
      Aeroplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      — Marshal Foch

A pretty mechanical toy [...] the war will never be won by such machines.
      — Lord Kitchener, on tanks
    • This makes it useful how? Im saying it is useless the way it is now. It being a regiment and a representation of an actual tank destroyer squad or team is a moot point. Only noobs produce tank destroyers. If I see one in the enemies composition I automatically think they are new player and easy kill.
    • Commandos: too expensive; not enough HP for attacking fortifications with 'real defense' in it; stealth level is a shame should be +1 to all actual levels, if a unit is not build with doctrin-bonus something is off ... I guarantee you it is the 'level of stealth'

Paratroops: I try to play them: they are too expensive and lack the range (but this is maybe because I play like a mediocre player.
      Hier könnt Ihr ein Support-Ticket erstellen. :00000450:
    • Paras i agree, sure, whatever, cuz like no one uses them.

But tank destroyers??? Why you gotta be hating on my man like that. All the disadvantages you mention apply to all melee units, so the point is moot. To be used correctly, TDs shud either be used for deterrence + meat shield for ranged stacks, or just as a cheaper option for heavy armor. Not sure why ppl think of TDs as some elite AT unit; there's a reason TDs aren't called "SP Anti-Tanks". And saying you could replace TDs with ABs is like saying you could replace mech inf with tacs. Sure, hypothetically you could, but it ain't possible for planes to conquer territory, and just like armor is screwed over by ATs, for example, planes are screwed over by AA.

Now, if you had made mention of them being worthless in specific doctrines, then yea, they aren't worth it for Pan-Asian and Axis (mostly because both doctrine playstyles favor light armor over heavy, not just because of the research nerfs in those doctrines). Clearly tho, you haven't played Allies in forested terrain before, cuz TDs are OP early mid game...
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • PureHydro wrote:

If I see one in the enemies composition I automatically think they are new player and easy kill.
      Isn't this confirmation bias?
      Tank destroyers are bad
      Only noobs use bad units
      I see somebody using them, so they are a noob
      Since noobs use them, they must be bad
      — Marshal Foch

• _Pyth0n_ wrote:

Now, if you had made mention of them being worthless in specific doctrines, then yea, they aren't worth it for Pan-Asian and Axis (mostly because both doctrine playstyles favor light armor over heavy, not just because of the research nerfs in those doctrines). Clearly tho, you haven't played Allies in forested terrain before, cuz TDs are OP early mid game...
      I agree with Pan-Asian but Axis? Their medium tank is the best in the game and they have two day delays on light tanks.
      — Marshal Foch

• :huh: i love the paratroopers and have used the to win many battles, fly over the enemies frontline disrupting their plans.
      and they are in stealth as long as you dont move them but anyone with an armored car can easily spot one which brings down their stock...

all units have a specific purpose and wouldnt say any of them are useless.... except flying bombs those things are just about pointless :!:
    • PureHydro wrote:

This makes it useful how? Im saying it is useless the way it is now. It being a regiment and a representation of an actual tank destroyer squad or team is a moot point. Only noobs produce tank destroyers. If I see one in the enemies composition I automatically think they are new player and easy kill.
      This is a flawed thinking of course. you cannot determine another player's skill with just one variable. Apart from that, tank destroyers have their own advantages.
      the attack bomber you think can replace it will definitely helpless if the enemy uses Anti-Air in large quantities

Danieliyoverde123 wrote:

Tank destroyer useless?
      Lmao i do prefer them over thanks
      your welcome :thumbsup:
      ꦮꦺꦱ꧀ꦲꦺꦴꦫꦲꦺꦴꦤꦺꦴꦱꦺꦁꦲꦶꦱꦺꦴꦢꦶꦭꦏꦺꦴꦤꦶ

Normal Day in Call of War

World at War Playthrough
    • Lord Crayfish wrote:

_Pyth0n_ wrote:

I agree with Pan-Asian but Axis? Their medium tank is the best in the game and they have two day delays on light tanks.
      I meant TDs are bad in those doctrines, not heavy armour. Altho, even with the delayed LTs, Axis has really good light armour early game. Ofc, I'm not saying axis MTs are bad (whole different story, refer to the "Are medium tanks good?" debate me and Car had months ago)

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

o7
    • Actually i do like tank destroyers for panasia Even with the debuff, tanks only have bonus on flat terrain while tank destroyers have in forest and cities, also since panasia Focus on armored cars the tank destroyer it's a great complemento for AC or defend your artillery.

With comintern also do prefer TD as they are great defender of artillery. For axis is more debatible, the medium and heavy tanks are simple busted to not go for it.
      "Si crees que esto tendrá un final feliz, es que no has estado prestando atención"
    • Danieliyoverde123 wrote:

Actually i do like tank destroyers for panasia Even with the debuff, tanks only have bonus on flat terrain while tank destroyers have in forest and cities, also since panasia Focus on armored cars the tank destroyer it's a great complemento for AC or defend your artillery.

With comintern also do prefer TD as they are great defender of artillery. For axis is more debatible, the medium and heavy tanks are simple busted to not go for it.
      Really? First time I've heard of PanAsian TDs. Sure, they have good terrain bonuses, but aren't those rss better spent on planes and industry? And you prolly shudnt go around meat shielding for arty as panasian, cause with low HP and better speed, shoot n scoot is better. Im also pretty sure TDs are nowhere near as fast as ACs and LTs, so it wud seem to be a static unit, which dorsnt really fit panasian play style, right?

o7
    • PureHydro wrote:

Only noobs produce tank destroyers.
      Really? LOL

Only noobs don't know how to use them properly.
      They are extremely effective when put to their true purpose, which is to break enemy armour stacks by surprise.

I use paras to capture enemy cities if they are vacant. They serve a purpose...again if used properly. I don't use a lot of them but I always keep a few on standby just in case an opportunity comes up.
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

Paras i agree, sure, whatever, cuz like no one uses them.

But tank destroyers??? Why you gotta be hating on my man like that. All the disadvantages you mention apply to all melee units, so the point is moot. To be used correctly, TDs shud either be used for deterrence + meat shield for ranged stacks, or just as a cheaper option for heavy armor. Not sure why ppl think of TDs as some elite AT unit; there's a reason TDs aren't called "SP Anti-Tanks". And saying you could replace TDs with ABs is like saying you could replace mech inf with tacs. Sure, hypothetically you could, but it ain't possible for planes to conquer territory, and just like armor is screwed over by ATs, for example, planes are screwed over by AA.

Mediums are better!

Why has no one brought up heavy tanks? They suck.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

_Pyth0n_ wrote:

Mediums are better!

Not anymore
      Hier könnt Ihr ein Support-Ticket erstellen. :00000450:
    • heavy tank have a niche, they are not the most cost efective unit but it could be used effectively

paratroopers could be used for catching up active and faster enemies, take provinces behind and make them move more slowly in order to catch them. the problem is once their are drop their are going to die either by fighters before drop or bombers or artillery after the drop, you could send one and suffer a loss or send a lot and lose a lot of hp.

however the scenario when is usefull is so rare and most of the time it would be better investing in other tipe of troops, in order to make them work also their are going to die anyway, maybe more range and stealth capabilities could make them work but right now its the one unit that i dont even consider.
      "Si crees que esto tendrá un final feliz, es que no has estado prestando atención"
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

_Pyth0n_ wrote:

Mediums are better!

Perhaps, but TDs arent "useless"...

And HTs have a role. To be juicy targets for my ABs ^^

o7