Playing Comintern for Once...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Playing Comintern for Once...

Basically, I decided to play Comintern for once, and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Playing Cuba in Homefront, no major threats, especially w/ the crazy number of starting troops you get on this map. Some things I've encountered as Comintern:
      • Units get dmged very easily: idk, they feel way more fragile, maybe cuz they're in combat for longer due to lower dmg? Only unit that isnt like this at this point are MTs...
      • Cruisers are the only viable navy option (except maybe subs)
      • Planes suck so bad
      • Arty + RA is very spammable, nice :)
      • Tried FBs as well, good until day 5, then worthless
      • Since I'm cuba and invading america, need to transport troops across the ocean, meaning needing to upgrade convoys early...
      I want yalls thoughts on this, especially @Carking the 6th and @6thDragon. Am I doin something wrong? Or is this just the way it is? I mean, I can't be doin that bad: 230 VP on day 7 with no potential threats nearby :thumbsup:
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • Homefront? Hell yeah. I remember watching @TheZhukov play the exact same country. A smart idea is to use your fleet of basically just cruisers and focus on South America where you may very well be ignored. Industry is vital. Gotta play the long game. As you already know, Ranged units are your friend here, medium tanks are actually pretty good main melee along with Armored cars.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • I played as Cuba once on that map too. One of the easier maps I've played, other than a golder I had to neuter. Cuba is strong. You have plenty of AI islands around to feed on while building up offensive troops.

I found myself tempted to go with SP units because of all the plains in the Midwest, but having so many starting infantry that I wanted to make use of made me decide to stick with regular arty and rocket arty and focus on upgrading them. I avoid melee units other than to protect my arty, but TDs are valuable too. They pair well with upgraded infantry for defensive purposes.

By "FB" I assume you mean flying bomb. I'm not sure I would agree that even useful at all.

Otherwise, I think all your observations are spot on. I never go with battleships with commies and on that map, it wouldn't do much good to prepare a navy anyway.

I took the opposite approach in terms direction of expansion. Florida was too close to my core and I decided to expand north because I would have felt vulnerable otherwise.
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

Homefront? Hell yeah. I remember watching @TheZhukov play the exact same country. A smart idea is to use your fleet of basically just cruisers and focus on South America where you may very well be ignored. Industry is vital. Gotta play the long game. As you already know, Ranged units are your friend here, medium tanks are actually pretty good main melee along with Armored cars.
      Very interesting and fun country for sure!
      Glory to the Union!

Glory to the Red Army!

Glory to the Revolution!

Marshal of the Forum High Command
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

Basically, I decided to play Comintern for once, and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Playing Cuba in Homefront, no major threats, especially w/ the crazy number of starting troops you get on this map. Some things I've encountered as Comintern:
      • Units get dmged very easily: idk, they feel way more fragile, maybe cuz they're in combat for longer due to lower dmg? Only unit that isnt like this at this point are MTs...
      • Cruisers are the only viable navy option (except maybe subs)
      • Planes suck so bad
      • Arty + RA is very spammable, nice :)
      • Tried FBs as well, good until day 5, then worthless
      • Since I'm cuba and invading america, need to transport troops across the ocean, meaning needing to upgrade convoys early...
      I want yalls thoughts on this, especially @Carking the 6th and @6thDragon. Am I doin something wrong? Or is this just the way it is? I mean, I can't be doin that bad: 230 VP on day 7 with no potential threats nearby :thumbsup:
      Yeah just spam arrillery and infantry
    • You obviously have to adjust your play style to the doctrine you're playing. As you noted, Comintern is mostly about land war, and it is about massing troops. There are many good land units especially emphasized; depending on your play style and activity level, they can all be worthwhile, and it provides for different ways to handle your army. The main DISadvantage is that 10+-stacks will always be weaker than those of your enemies, so you should play for MORE stacks rather than BETTER stacks. Outflanking and finding weak spots are more important than in other doctrines (possibly except Pan-Asian), and you'll find it is advantageous to widen the front line. Having said that, when you find yourself in a massive grind, you have the luxury of considering losing equal amounts of troops to be a victory, simply because yours are cheaper. Your artillery advantages come into play here as well.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

Since I'm cuba and invading america, need to transport troops across the ocean, meaning needing to upgrade convoys early...
      Don't upgrade transports simply because you're transporting a lot of troops; the advantage of upgraded transports is in amount * distance. Since distances are short, you really don't need to upgrade them. I'd say upgrading transports is only worthwhile on the WaW and pacific maps, and then only when you plan to launch cross-ocean invasions.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.