Tool for measuring distances on the map

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tool for measuring distances on the map

I propose a new map feature, a tool to measure distances, it would be available in the Map Settings GUI, and have its own button, when activated, it would require the user to place a point down onto a road or province on the map, and then onto a second point on the map. When moving the cursor to plot the second point on the map, lines/arrows like the ones that appear when a unit is moving will appear, with a small textbox next to the lines, stating how many kilometres (and ideally miles) the points are apart.
      President of The Forum.

(As elected October 2023).

Can be found on Call of War itself as "Zaktty".
    • Carking the 6th wrote:

Game kilometers/miles, right? Would be a great way to calculate where arty and nukes could hit.
      I believe that the range and I suppose the speed values of units are measured in kilometres, so I assumed it must already exist somewhere. Miles would be better for the American and British player base such as myself though.
      President of The Forum.

• I'd be more likely to use it for airstrip chains. I constantly have the problem where I overestimate the range of the aircraft I'm using, or underestimate the distance between two nodes, and if I don't have a plane on the airstrip I'm measuring from I can't tell where the furthest point within range is. Having some sort of grid overlay would make that so much easier. Just as long as they make it possible to toggle on and off, because aesthetically it would get on my nerves.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta
      A.K.A. "The Backstab Person"

Pan-Asian is a better doctrine than Axis when played correctly and you cannot change my mind.

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
      CoW Forum Players! Unite!
    • I spend more of it than I would otherwise precisely because I have to fill gaps with inefficiently spaced airstrips. Ideally I'd have a sample aircraft sent to each airstrip as it's completed so I can check the next is within range before building it, but who has that kind of time during a full-scale invasion?
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

Pan-Asian is a better doctrine than Axis when played correctly and you cannot change my mind.

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • Airstrips are the main reason why I don't build planes a lot anymore. I like having a bunch of interceptors but I rarely use aerial units offensively. The airstrip chains often end up being used for nukes, which are just too cool to not use for a little reason like 'I don't have enough rare to make airstrips after building a couple of nukes'. What's the stock market for after all?
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • Opposing country with seven or eight brewing in the level five secret labs they really shouldn't be able to afford:
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • Lady Aragosta wrote:

I'd be more likely to use it for airstrip chains. I constantly have the problem where I overestimate the range of the aircraft I'm using, or underestimate the distance between two nodes, and if I don't have a plane on the airstrip I'm measuring from I can't tell where the furthest point within range is. Having some sort of grid overlay would make that so much easier. Just as long as they make it possible to toggle on and off, because aesthetically it would get on my nerves.
      It would be togglable.

cycle9 wrote:

Mensuration tools and grid coordinates have been requested many times; to no avail.
      Such features would make CoW look too much like a combat game.
      I fail to see what you mean by this. If you mean it would make Call of War look like a combat game, and that would put off new players, then I would say that this is a feature toggle-able in the map settings as I specified in the OP, if you mean that this would make call of war too much of a combat game, I'm afraid I have to disagree, Generals and Tacticians of all ranks always have to measure distances for strategy and logistics, in fact, if by combat game you mean a FPS game, then I would say you are much more likely to make measurements in strategy games like Call of War instead of, say, Call of Duty.
      President of The Forum.