Forum Ranks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 6thDragon wrote:

I honestly have no idea what "genzing" is. Am I missing anything?
      Yeah you're missing something. The forums have radically changed, and a bunch of young people who care about the game in a completely different way than we do, (yeah, that's a dangerous statement, but bear with me for a minute), are calling it their home now. They didn't pick Tiktok or instagram or whatever, they decided that this age-old forum was their place.

Somehow, I appreciate that. This was the place where we learned the game, where we all had those discussions about SP vs. non-SP, endless hospital suggestions, and the "right" way to build up industry. Sometimes, there wouldn't be posts for days, and that was fine. There was nothing to discuss.

New influx brings back life to the place. It is not upon us to judge that we don't like content; it is upon us to recognize that a place that was on the edge of dying, has ridiculous amounts of posts now. I dare you to find any old-style forum place as lively as this one.

These youngsters have taken the place. Some are really interested in the game, and some are just trolls posting nothing but "hi" and variations of that. Yet they're unlike us... they're roleplaying (as opposed to figuring out the most efficient way to kill enemies). They can't invest huge amounts of time like we do; they have schools and social stuff to do that we don't have to bother about. They're handicapped to play the "efficient" game... still they love it.

This post falling flat on the face now... there's not really a "message" that I have. Just goes to show that there's not just one way to enjoy the game... and when you're a noob that gets eaten by the first predator (like us) who meets you, doesn't mean you're really a noob. When you love the game, it may feel good to be eaten. When you win every single map you join except when there's coiners or a hostile coalition who knows what they're doing, the victory doesn't have much value anymore. When you're the noob that finally manages to achieve something, it does. It is all about perspectives.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • In my opinion, I won't turn my back on somebody because they have a low rank. But, it tends to be a ballpark measure for competency and involvement, so I do think about it and it does play a role in forming my opinion of someone, however this is quite small.
      "Imma play CoW to calm down" - Literally nobody ever

Talvisota of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Don't you think that when someone gets to be a, say, "major" (dunno if that rank actually exists))) you have already formed your opinion about them, simply because it means you have read a lot of their posts already?
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Don't you think that when someone gets to be a, say, "major" (dunno if that rank actually exists))) you have already formed your opinion about them, simply because it means you have read a lot of their posts already?
      Put it this way, the higher a rank, the more posts you have made, which gives me a better idea of who you are, your sense of humour, interests, favourite units, etc, just because it's a bigger pool. So there's a correlation between higher ranks and me becoming friendly with someone.

• Talvisota wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

Don't you think that when someone gets to be a, say, "major" (dunno if that rank actually exists))) you have already formed your opinion about them, simply because it means you have read a lot of their posts already?
      Put it this way, the higher a rank, the more posts you have made, which gives me a better idea of who you are, your sense of humour, interests, favourite units, etc, just because it's a bigger pool. So there's a correlation between higher ranks and me becoming friendly with someone.
      or, hostile with someone, if all those points were made on stupid posts... but yeah, that's exactly what I said. You "know" someone already before he makes any kind of serious rank.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • The problem with Claudio here is that in saying that rank doesn’t matter, and then going ahead and saying that Genzing is pure evil, he makes n act of hypocrisy. So what if people are spam liking each other and raising their ranks? It’s up to you to NOT care so that their ego boost or whatever you are worried about doesn’t take place. At the end of the day, you made it a big deal. I guarantee that the majority of people could care less about rank or Genzing, and would rather let the nuts who do it have their thing, while getting back to the point of these forums- talking about the game. K.Rokossovski’s assessment is true in that regard. People have came and the place has changed… and there is nothing you can do about that. Rather than wasting time yelling about things that annoy you, it’s better to get back to the point of these forums - discussing the game and having a community around it. There will be these trolls who spam or whatever, but they come and go just like any other time. Claudio is not doing any good, and rather making things (which really weren’t that bad in the first place) worse by commencing in these useless arguments that once again, will change absolutely nothing.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Claudio NVKP wrote:

Lady Aragosta wrote:

@Amotah
      Can you please shut this guy up? Which asserting one's opinion is fine the degree to which he's doing it, and his lack of tolerance for alternate opinions, is entering the realms of the Deeply Annoying, and he's not listening to me.
      I'm doing my job as a fpd police officer, you're the only one in the way, you must stop.
      I have skim-read the actual FPD thread. Judging by the amount of negative feedback you got there, I don't think I am the only one.

6thDragon wrote:

I honestly have no idea what "genzing" is. Am I missing anything?
      I have an explanation of it in the spoilered paragraph below the actual poll. I hope it's less biased than Claudio's explanation but can't guarantee that.

Carking the 6th wrote:

The problem with Claudio here is that in saying that rank doesn’t matter, and then going ahead and saying that Genzing is pure evil, he makes n act of hypocrisy. So what if people are spam liking each other and raising their ranks? It’s up to you to NOT care so that their ego boost or whatever you are worried about doesn’t take place. At the end of the day, you made it a big deal. I guarantee that the majority of people could care less about rank or Genzing, and would rather let the nuts who do it have their thing, while getting back to the point of these forums- talking about the game. K.Rokossovski’s assessment is true in that regard. People have came and the place has changed… and there is nothing you can do about that. Rather than wasting time yelling about things that annoy you, it’s better to get back to the point of these forums - discussing the game and having a community around it. There will be these trolls who spam or whatever, but they come and go just like any other time. Claudio is not doing any good, and rather making things (which really weren’t that bad in the first place) worse by commencing in these useless arguments that once again, will change absolutely nothing.
      Very much so.
      I suspect Rokossovski is in the anti-Genzing camp (although I don't really have anything but gut feeling backing this up, so it's very possible I'm entirely wrong) but his take on it - the forums and their culture change with the users - is a lot healthier than Claudio's.

Even if people disapprove of some aspects of the new forum culture, doesn't mean you get to spoil it for everyone else. If it's not spoiling things for you personally, just move on. (Unless it's causing problems for the forum as a whole, and the point of this poll was to determine whether this is actually happening or if that's just the perception of the anti-Genzing squad. It's possible this is a real problem, in which case I will try to change my behaviour, but I highly doubt it is and until that is conclusively proven I see no point in backing down.)

Talvisota wrote:

In my opinion, I won't turn my back on somebody because they have a low rank. But, it tends to be a ballpark measure for competency and involvement, so I do think about it and it does play a role in forming my opinion of someone, however this is quite small.
      My rank analysis works in the following way:
      Recruit - Corporal: Newbies, unknown quantities, who I generally don't judge at all simply because they haven't been here long enough, or contributed enough, to make a fair assessment of them.
      Corporal - the various types of Sergeant: People who by now ought to have some idea of the forum culture and the way we do things here, so if they do something stupid they have less excuse. Assessment of them still ought to be by the content they post, not the fact that they have this rank.
      Anything above one of the Sergeant ranks: makes no difference whatsoever, particularly now that Genzing is a thing, but it honestly didn't even before that.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta
      A.K.A. "The Backstab Person"

Pan-Asian is a better doctrine than Axis when played correctly and you cannot change my mind.

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
      CoW Forum Players! Unite!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lady Aragosta ().

• Lady Aragosta wrote:

I suspect Rokossovski is in the anti-Genzing camp (although I don't really have anything but gut feeling backing this up, so it's very possible I'm entirely wrong) but his take on it - the forums and their culture change with the users - is a lot healthier than Claudio's.
      In the narrow definition of genzing (artificially boosting ranks through liking), I'm neither for or against, since I don't care about ranks, and thus don't care about manipulating them either. In the wider defintion of it (making bollocks posts not to create culture but to improve rank), yes I am against it because I read most posts on the forum and it challenges my bollocks resistancy threshold.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Lady Aragosta wrote:

In the narrow definition of genzing (artificially boosting ranks through liking), I'm neither for or against, since I don't care about ranks, and thus don't care about manipulating them either. In the wider defintion of it (making bollocks posts not to create culture but to improve rank), yes I am against it because I read most posts on the forum and it challenges my bollocks resistancy threshold.
      I'm broadly in agreement (I Genz people because sometimes it's fun to achieve meaningless victories). As for making stupid posts, yeah, I'm not sure anyone approves of doing that, unless the people doing it do so on their own profiles or something where nobody else has to read it. Narrow-definition Genzing is different because it's a lot less intrusive.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

Pan-Asian is a better doctrine than Axis when played correctly and you cannot change my mind.

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • Wow, people take other people’s likes seriously. I had no idea. I never really paid attention to what others like or cared enough to consider their motivation for doing so. If anything I probably don’t like others’ posts often enough. For that I certainly apologize. If anything all this genzing discussion as made me realize I should do that more.
    • 6thDragon wrote:

Wow, people take other people’s likes seriously. I had no idea. I never really paid attention to what others like or cared enough to consider their motivation for doing so. If anything I probably don’t like others’ posts often enough. For that I certainly apologize. If anything all this genzing discussion as made me realize I should do that more.
      Honestly, likes are more valuable when they aren't given out like sweets. It means more when I get a like from Freezy or Rokossovski for instance, because those are people who don't like many posts. It's a good indicator of how much you're actually bringing to the forums imo.

• Claudio NVKP wrote:

Stop genzing!
      Would you look at that… the person who is spamming and not adding anything to the discussion… is you.

Talvisota wrote:

6thDragon wrote:

Wow, people take other people’s likes seriously. I had no idea. I never really paid attention to what others like or cared enough to consider their motivation for doing so. If anything I probably don’t like others’ posts often enough. For that I certainly apologize. If anything all this genzing discussion as made me realize I should do that more.
      Honestly, likes are more valuable when they aren't given out like sweets. It means more when I get a like from Freezy or Rokossovski for instance, because those are people who don't like many posts. It's a good indicator of how much you're actually bringing to the forums imo.
      I suppose I shouldn’t be liking everything, perhaps.

CarKing the 6th of the Abrahamic Caliphate
    • Claudio NVKP wrote:

why can't i reply to your wall?
      I was getting a bit sick of the discussion going around in circles and I was also losing my temper, so I blocked you. I'm feeling saner this morning so I can unblock you again, but I'd strongly encourage you not to perpetuate the conversation on Genzing there as it seems to have hit a stalemate anyway.
      Her Ladyship Aragosta

You just lost The Game.

Join the Madness here:
    • Hey guys, lets just chill this down. If someone wants to be genzed and someone wants to genze him, then genzing in that case only should be allowed.
      "We can be wrong, or we can know it, but we can't do both at the same time." ~ Heisenberg

SENIOR ELECTION MANAGER
      HEAD OF THE FPD